Challenge; Ordinary made interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge; Ordinary made interesting

The idea is to photograph something not particularly photogenic from a typical photographic viewpoint but make it interesting, anything at all, use your photographic skills, you post processing skills, whatever to make the bland...exciting!!

Here's a pretty poor example, I'll try to find something a bit better but this gets the ball rolling.

Paul.

GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Re: Challenge; Ordinary made interesting

I'll try one. Found a washed out shot of a Heron on a dead tree with a pale blue background. Converted it to B&W, upped contrast 100%, added a textured background, burned out a portion in upper right and filled with red to get a rising sun effect, added a border and presto.... Japanese place mat for a Sushi restaurant... thats gotta' be more interesting...

"Stef" E-620 and stuff...

Comment

Ah, Stef-san, verry interesting
      E-PM1, E-620, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200, 70-300 and a bunch of legacy lenses

Comment

Originally posted by West Arm Rider View Post
        I'll try one. Found a washed out shot of a Heron on a dead tree with a pale blue background. Converted it to B&W, upped contrast 100%, added a textured background, burned out a portion in upper right and filled with red to get a rising sun effect, added a border and presto.... Japanese place mat for a Sushi restaurant... thats gotta' be more interesting...

So Japanese looking and without the turtle too. I think it looks rather good.

I would like to join in, but but big bertha (PC) is out of action for a few days until the computer expert returns from holiday - currently using a notebook.

Regards. Barr1e
        Last edited by Barr1e; 28th October 2012, 07:23 PM. Reason: using a notebook :)

Comment

Great idea for a challenge thread, Paul

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

This was just a rock, and the colours in it weren't apparent till I wound up the saturation, same with the jelly fish.

Paul.

GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
            Flickr

Comment

Ubber saturation can really make a dramatic difference in some shots. Playing with tone mapping is another game changer....
              "Stef" E-620 and stuff...

Comment

Serve ice cold

E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Comment

Originally posted by throt View Post
                  Serve ice cold

That's really cool!
                  Took me few seconds to realize what it is..
                  Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
                  M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

As last one had some editing to help it out then this piece of ice has nothing more than a bit of crop applied.
                    A glass of red juice with ice, FL-36R lightning from left. Now I notice that unfortunately camera wasnt parallel with the surface

btw just found out that when placing image from my pics it has the option to place original image also
                    E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Comment

Deep in the dark forest, something stirred

. . . er . . .

its a branch off a tree near a road in the New Forest . . .

Comment

I've posted this image in another thread..but i think it fits in here.
                        Art Filter:Water color painting !!
                        Its reflections by the side of a waterbody..the picture rotated upside down.

Regards.
                        E510, E3, E-PL1,E620 ,E-5,OM-D
                        50-200SWD, 14-54Mk1, 50mm f2. 35mm,70-300mm,12-60mmSWD,PL-25mm-1.4,150mm-F2
                        MFT: 14-42(kit)/12mm/45mm

Comment

Some of the abstracts posted here remind me of a photo I took a few years ago. I call it "Autumn Swirl," taken by rotating the camera around the lens axis during a 1/8 second exposure. It even fits with the season (for those of us who aren't buried in snow yet).

- Hal -
                          A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
                          Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Well, I didn't rotate the camera but expected the dancer to rotate the stripe...

And this one is from a Tree I pass by several days a week.

Comment

Working...
                            X