X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Weekly Close Up 1/2011

Originally posted by dingenus View Post
    Thanks, that robin is nearly daily in a appeltree for our kitchen window. From sensor to bird = 3m I think.
    Fantastic clarity there and a real riposte to those that question the ability of the 70-300.

We have robins in our garden and they do like to get close. I was replenishing the bird feeders the other day and one robin landed at my feet and looked up. He stayed there for a good ten seconds eyeing me up!

The other time I recall was the classic digging the garden scenario. I was doing just that and a robin landed on the blade of the spade I was using.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Andy

Interesting fly and very nice also. That's another bug I don't get here.

Raj

That's one cool looking snake, almost dragon like. Is it poisonous?

Thanks for sharing both of you.

Jim

Comment

I've only just noticed this thread & there are some really nice photos here, so here are a few of my recent photos close up to add to the thread.

E30, Sigma 150mm Macro lens & FL50R flash in FP TTL.
        This spider is found by this wasp after I moved some rocks.
        "Oh yummm!"

Don't drop it!

50% crop. Nice View?

And just to leave you with a nice thought, this was taken earlier in April of this Cecile Brunner Rose after morning rain as the sun came out.

Thanks for looking.
        Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Here's my most recent, a juvenile Garden Spider - body only about 3mm. Taken with E5 and 50mm f2 + EX25, natural light with fill-in inbuilt flash.

[IMG][/IMG]

David
          E-M1, Tamron 14-150mm, ED 75-300mm, ED 60mm, FL50R,
          Canon 7DII, Canon 400mm f5.6L, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, EF 55-250mm, EF 18-55mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

Comment

Ross, David

Great spider shots both of you. Great behavior with the wasp. I wonder if she was going to eat it or was the type to lay a egg in the spider.

David, I know that combo and boy were you close.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimindenver View Post
              Ross, David

Great spider shots both of you. Great behavior with the wasp. I wonder if she was going to eat it or was the type to lay a egg in the spider.

David, I know that combo and boy were you close.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim
              Thanks Jim.
              I would say the wasp might have intended buring the spider with her eggs in it. Unfortunately, she later ended up in the wrong place & didn't survive either (moving rocks around can take it's toll).

Yes, I liked David's spider too. I gave him compliments on the other forum (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...t=14015&page=5) for it. Check it out. There are a lot of great photos of all sorts in it.
              Ross
              Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Not many bugs yet but the orchids are always willing.

E 5, 7-14. FL 50r

E 5, 12-60, FL 50r

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                  Thanks Jim.
                  I would say the wasp might have intended buring the spider with her eggs in it. Unfortunately, she later ended up in the wrong place & didn't survive either (moving rocks around can take it's toll).

Yes, I liked David's spider too. I gave him compliments on the other forum (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...t=14015&page=5) for it. Check it out. There are a lot of great photos of all sorts in it.
                  Oh my, Now you have exposed me to a different forum with lots of macro shooters. I may have to invade the UK.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimindenver View Post
                    Not many bugs yet but the orchids are always willing.

Jim
                    I love your orchids. They mightn't bite you but they are beautiful & detailed.
                    Ross

Comment

Not macro, but how often do you get within arm's length of a Giraffe? (Or closer--you could feed and pet them!) Since the background was so bright, a pseudo-high-key treatment seemed fitting, processed with Nik Silver Efex Pro. E410 and 12-60.

- Hal -
                      A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
                      Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

That's a wonderful shot Hal. I have to admit it made me laugh and do unfortunate things to the beverage I was sipping. I guess since they're vegetarians you were safe, but do they eat or at least taste cameras? The B&W treatment works well for me. Well done.
                        Steve

Comment

Thanks, Steve. These giraffes are used to being fed by zoo visitors (at the Richmond Metro Zoo, BTW), so they are not at all shy about sticking their 18" toungues out looking for food pellets. I don't think they would chew on a camera, but it could definitely get wet! If you don't appear to have food, however, they tend to ignore you and look for people who do.

- Hal -
                          Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Echoing Steve, that is a great shot Hal. Kind of a sad wistful look to the eyes, which really adds a nice element to the shot. An awfully lot of women would KILL for those eyelashes.

Jeff
                            My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
                            For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
                            http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
                            https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Comment

Originally posted by Ians Tata View Post
                              . . . An awfully lot of women would KILL for those eyelashes.

Jeff
                              Yeah, but they would die if they had to walk around with that nose.

- Hal -

Comment

Three from Last week-end..
                                All E5..some crop.
                                1. 50-200 Mk-1

2. 50-200 Mk-1

3. 50mmF2.0

Regards.
                                E510, E3, E-PL1,E620 ,E-5,OM-D
                                50-200SWD, 14-54Mk1, 50mm f2. 35mm,70-300mm,12-60mmSWD,PL-25mm-1.4,150mm-F2
                                MFT: 14-42(kit)/12mm/45mm

Comment

Working...
                                X