This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Weekly Close Up...15/2009...POST YOURS

Welcome to the Weekly Close up, where spring is finally fulfilling it potential.

I wanted to tell you that I have seen people on the forums using the WCU's to help them decide what they want for macro gear. That is so cool.
    It shows the quality of work shown here every week and it validates why we list the gear used to get the shots every week.

Kinda gives a sense of purpose to the thread huh.

Ok back to work.

I hope spring has brought you a great many critters to shoot or maybe flowers and what not.

I wanna see it all.

Let us and all those shopping for macro gear know what you used to get the image and if you are cropping.

I'll warn you now that I had a good morning yesterday, so I'll be posting jussssttt a few images.

Lets do this

Jim

Re: The Weekly Close Up...15/2009...POST YOURS

As I said the pond was productive yesterday, I shot until the wind came up.

I saw my first ever Hover fly. I was beginning to think that we didn't get them here at all.

330, 50mm, EC 1.4, SRF-11

Thanks for looking

Jim

Comment

More from the 50mm combo later. Right now the 35mm wants its due.

Thanks for looking

Jim

Comment

What, that's not enough you say. Well lets bring on the damsils.

E 3, 35mm, EC 20, FRF

Thanks for looking

Jim

Comment

As I promised, here is more from the 50mm combo.

It's almost hard to get a bad shot from this combo.

Thanks for looking

Jim

Comment

Ok one more

Itsy bitsy spider

E 3, 35mm, EC 20, FRF

Ok, if that doesn't get you fired up, nothing will.

Thanks for looking

Jim

Comment

Jim

All really good but like the Hoverfly the best.

Very warm in the Uk this week so have taken quite a few.

When I grow up I want to be a proper frog.

Both with the 50mm ,no crop

Large yellow Ladybird

50mm +ec14 no crop

Soldier Beetle

50mm +ec14 no crop

Six Spot Burnets

50-200mm no crop

Burnet Moth caterpillar

50-200 no crop

Hunting Spider

50-200 no crop

Damsel fly

50-200 +ec14 no crop.

Think that will do for now.
              All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14,50-200,50mm F2 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500,OM50mm(F1.8),OM28mm(f2.8),FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,Manfrotto 680b monopod,crap tripod,various filters/CF cards.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andypeter/

Comment

Great set Andy. The yellow lady bug is splendid.

Seeing your shots makes me realize that I need to work on my composition more and add in more full body shots along with the high magnification shots.

That's what makes the 330, 50mm, EC 1.4, srf-11 and the E 3, 35mm, EC 20, FRF at the same time such a great macro combo. I can back off with the 330 or even stick my hands deep in a bush with the LV A mode and the IS on the E 3 really helps at 2-1 hand held. Some day I hope to get a second EC 20 for the 50mm.

Thank you for the compliment, I was thrilled to see a hover fly for once. Now I wish I had backed out on those shots a bit too.

I learn, just slowly.

Thanks for sharing

Jim

Comment

Great set Andy, enjoyed looking at those.

Paul
                  GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
                  Flickr

Comment

Great stuff Jim

Paul
                    GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
                    Flickr

Comment

@ Jim: I love the magnification and detail you get with your technique but I realize it's at the cost of more or less flat (flash) light.

Don't get me wrong, I love your images for the a.m. reason but some could use some more plasticity (I hope that is the correct English word).

@ Andy: I like how you keep an eye for composition, the photo of the Six Spot Burnets is a great example.

Some of the last few days:

Mom (or dad?) guarding the eggs. (Looks like the same type of spider as in Andy's 7th shot). E-620 Sigma 150mm f/2.8

Next day I found the offspring had hatched:
                      E-620 Sigma 150mm f/2.8

This one is for Jim:
                      E-3 ZD50mm + EC20

I have been hunting for this critter for some days, when it flies it looks like a tiny (6-7mm) butterfly. So when it landed I looked for a butterfly shape. This is how it really looks, it's like a grass flower to the naked eye:
                      E-3 ZD50mm + EC20

Only the last two images were slightly cropped, to improve the composition.
                      Regards,
                      Henk

http://mordisco.smugmug.com

Comment

Henk

Beautiful series, the spider guarding it clutch is a great behavure shot.

I'm trying to get a handle on what you said about needing more plasticity. It's a term we use to use to describe Canon colors years ago.

I agree that flash gives off a flat image but for the detail I want with moving bugs at the magnifications I use, there isn't any other choice than a twin flash to offset the shadows. With the 35mm, EC 20 combo at 2-1, I don't think natural light is a real option as often the lens shades the subject.

As I said to Andy, I know I need more composition work and with longer set ups, more natural light shots.

Thanks for sharing

Jim

Comment

Damsils in flight

Spotted these little damsils (a inch and a half) hunting and breeding at a small lake we had lunch at yesterday. All I had was the 330, 50mm, EC 1.4, SRF-11 at the time so I ended up using AF with the camera at arms length to shoot them. (Mode A is still the best LV)
                          Most are natural light as the 330 only syncs up to 180 shutterspeed with the SRF-11 as it doesn't have FP TTL.

Thanks for looking

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimindenver View Post
                            I'm trying to get a handle on what you said about needing more plasticity. It's a term we use to use to describe Canon colors years ago.

I agree that flash gives off a flat image but for the detail I want with moving bugs at the magnifications I use, there isn't any other choice than a twin flash to offset the shadows.
                            I know it's a trade-off Jim, with plasticity I mean a bit more sense of depth - 3D if you like. Like I said before I love the magnification and detail in your shots, they learn us so much of how these beautiful critters really look.

Close-up photography has made me more aware of the rich world of insects that is around us and learned me a lot of the diversity of them.

Happy shooting.
                            Regards,
                            Henk

http://mordisco.smugmug.com

Comment

Thank you Henk, now I know what you meant.

I am really looking for ward to the new flash bracket Oly is coming out with. I have two FL 50r's and want to set them up as a twin flash. I've held off creating my own because I am lazy.

I would love to have the OLY twin flash, but even with owning the controller, the heads and adapter are over $500. There are other things I need more.

I wouldn't mind a nice calm day here to try more natural light work, just not at such high magnification. Backing off will benefit not only in what you are speaking of but also composition. There will be a loss of detail and DOF due to distance and wider apertures.

This is what is best about the WCU for me. Since I started participating in them, I have seen all the different glass that can be used and a variety of techniques that I would have never thought to try. The discussion gives the insight to the different results.

I bet I could have the best 20 shooters form the three forums shoot the same bee on the same flower and we would get 20 clearly different results.

It would be a heck of a album to see.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X