Different Snowdrop Shot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Snowdrop Shot

I posted this on the Olympus UK E-System User Group, but thought I would see what those of you who don't use that site think?
    Poor weather led to boredom and the need for something different:

Thanks for looking
    Iain

E-M5 II, 9-18, 12-40, 17, 40-150, 45, 60, 100-400

Website
    Flickr

Re: Different Snowdrop Shot

The image is indeed rich and very well done but my sensibilities are perhaps a bit different than most. The flower has been 'killed' to make the photo and so by loses some of the sparkle compared to a growing flower, one of the reasons I like water visible on a flower as it is not only an interesting element but an indicator of health. Perhaps rotating the image so it appears to be growing along a wall rather than lying on a floor will give an idea of what I mean...
    "Stef" E-620 and stuff...

Comment

Hi Iain -

I do look in on e-group often as it is such an informative site.

I do like the way you have displayed your image.
      I don't do critique, but I feel the right hand petal a tad soft on its edge.

Having said that, overall, I like it very much.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Originally posted by West Arm Rider View Post
        ...The flower has been 'killed' to make the photo and so by loses some of the sparkle compared to a growing flower, one of the reasons I like water visible on a flower as it is not only an interesting element but an indicator of health. Perhaps rotating the image so it appears to be growing along a wall rather than lying on a floor will give an idea of what I mean...
        You are correct a flower was harmed in the making of this photograph as were a few others that are still in a vase in the living room, so if I get the chance I will try a different composition.

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
        ...I don't do critique, but I feel the right hand petal a tad soft on its edge.
        Regards. Barr1e
        I see what you mean Barr1e, there is scope for increasing the DoF in a future attempt.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
        Iain

Website
        Flickr

Comment

Iain... no, no the picture doesn't need a different composition and perhaps I came off sounding like a reverse Vegan. Killing plants is a hobby of mine... I walk on the grass always and put turnips in my stew . Its I guess more in the vane (vase?) of when you take people away from a customary viewpoint it has an effect. A flower lying on its side is not a traditional view of a flower, they are usually viewed pointed up while a turnip sitting on a table is just as "dead" but looks good because we see them like that all the time. I found rotating the view on your shot to put the "floor" on the left side provided a different perspective which I liked better without changing the original details in the image at all...
          "Stef" E-620 and stuff...

Comment

Oh, I see what you mean Stef
            Iain

Website
            Flickr

Comment

The petals make me think of prawn crackers..... i feel hungry now :P

Comment

Working...
              X