Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A walk near Siena

Hi all!

This is my first post here! I've been reading others' posts and looked at pictures and I'd like now to do something myself.
    Here are a few pictures I've taken a couple of days ago in Poggibonsi, a village near Siena.
    Do they work for you? What would you change to make them suit your taste? Any comment will be appreciated.

Three and house

Leaves

Sun and threes

The walls of the Poggio Imperiale Fortress

Fonte delle Fate

A walk near Siena

Ciao,
    Vinc
    Last edited by vinc; 5th February 2013, 01:13 PM. Reason: edited to show original pictures instead of thumbnails

Re: A walk near Siena

Excellent, thank you for taking me along on this scenic walk :-)

Comment

Very nice, first and last are my favourites.
      I think it would work better if you had the full version in the post instead of having to open the full sized image in a new window, you may need to edit the links?
      Iain

E-M5 II, 9-18, 12-40, 17, 40-150, 45, 60, 100-400

Website
      Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the comments and for the suggestion to replace the thumbnails with the original pictures. Done!

Comment

Hi Vinc,

This is an excellent set and you are obviously a competent photographer with a good eye for composition. I'm not sure that I'd want to change any of them very much but No4 left me wanting to see more of the walls in that gorgeous light and if I was to be hyper-critical the last one would be even better without the patch of cloud truncated by the right hand edge of the frame.

My favourites are No2, for the great use of backlighting, and No5, for the bold and graphic shadows that shape the composition.
          View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Welcome to the site, enjoyed your pictures...
            "Stef" E-620 and stuff...

Comment

Hi!
              Thank you all for the comments.
              Following John's suggestion, I've edited the last picture and removed the small cloud on the right. Indeed the result is better:

I was not sure about this picture due to the lack of a clearly identifiable subject. Maybe the different textures of the threes, the clouds and the meadow with the horizontal stripes created by the shadows keep the eye busy for a while even without a precise subject.

Comment

Originally posted by vinc View Post
                Hi!
                Thank you all for the comments.
                Following John's suggestion, I've edited the last picture and removed the small cloud on the right. Indeed the result is better:

I was not sure about this picture due to the lack of a clearly identifiable subject. Maybe the different textures of the threes, the clouds and the meadow with the horizontal stripes created by the shadows keep the eye busy for a while even without a precise subject.
                I'm a firm believer that it is possible to have an effective arrangement of the key elements within a composition, without having one specific subject. I think that this picture proves the point as the key elements interact harmoniously with each other, without any one of them gaining sufficient prominence to claim to be the main subject. This is why it was so important that the "rogue" cloud was removed. It's a lovely photograph.
                View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Perriment View Post
                  Hi Vinc,
                  I'm not sure that I'd want to change any of them very much but No4 left me wanting to see more of the walls in that gorgeous light and if I was to be hyper-critical the last one would be even better without the patch of cloud truncated by the right hand edge of the frame.
                  I'm sure you'll be amazed by my lightning-fast response to your request to see more of those walls , but here there are a few more pictures.
                  Some of them, in particular #1 and #3, have some post-processing (local adjustment of levels). Too much?

(not the wall itself, but taken along it)

Comment

The first two are my favourites.
                    Rob

Comment

Working...
                    X