Photomatix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photomatix

I have been playing with Photomatix (no - I haven't missed out an 'r') HDR software. There are two options, HDR and blend. The HDR option gives the unreal effect I associate with a lot of HDR pictures but I think the 'blend' does quite a good job.

These pictures are on a set of 3, -1, 0, +1 exposure, Photomatix actually suggest -2, 0 +2 but my e510 can't do that automatically. The first picture is the 'as shot' correct exposure version.

As shot

HDR

Blend

Re: Photomatix

Hey I really like the look of these, like you I'm not generally a fan of HDR that said I have seen several examples recently of a much more subtle approach that I can relate to, I'm even now toying with the idea of getting Photomatix for myself.
    Thanks for posting these.
    Neil

www.ndlphotography.co.uk

Comment

well, hdr is supposed to increase the dynamic range and not to add some dramatic skies to a photo.

in this case it works pretty well and it gives a "fairy tale" look.

Comment

Photomatix Pro (to give its full title without an "r") is the pick of the HDR software. Are you aware that there is a free version limited to blending of 2 exposures. You can blend more than 2 by staging the blends (in your case blend -3 &-1; blend 0 & +1 and then blend the 'blends'). Will save you a $99 if you like the output. Also have you tried Tone Compressor as it gives more natural results than Detail Enhancer - the main difference is in the shadow treatment.
        Bill Shinnick
        Pana GH1; 14-140.

Comment

I am a big HDR fan, that looks good!
          ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Comment

Had a play with some church shots - typical dark interior and bright windows, with final result using Photomatix (shows up in middle of the sequence for some reason??):
            Last edited by AndyElliott; 10th May 2009, 09:48 AM.
            Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
            mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
            EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
            Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

Really like the blend version of that photo mike_j. Brings out some detail in the sky and richer tone across the frame. I haven't done an HDR in a while. I'll have to check out that software.
              Oly EM-5 | Oly E-30 | Oly E-1 | FL-36 | mZD 9-18mm | PL 25mm f/1.4 | ZD 12-60mm SWD | ZD 50-200mm SWD | ZD 50mm f/2 | Gallery

Comment

Must be ESP - I loaded down the Photomatix trial just last night, thinking I might dabble with some HDR this weekend.

I'm looking for the effect you have successfully achieved with 'blending' to pull the dark details and have a better balance of light right across the range. I've been using Lightzone to achieve something similar - just selecting areas that I want enhanced, but suspect HDR will create a much better result.

I'll post something when I've come to grips with it all....
                Cheers....OzGary
                -----------------------------------
                E620 + ZD 14-42, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200, 70-300 and EC14 (+ E510)
                E-M1 + EP3 + VF-2 + u1250 + u1442 + u14150 + u17 + u45 + MMF-2

Picasa

Comment

Last year ahead of a long trip I downloaded the Photomatix trial, intending to play with it on long plane journeys. I did a few trials and it seemed to work well but for some reason haven't had a play since - I must fire it up and have another go !

Comment

So, as promised, I did my first experiments with the Photomatix trial today. Set the camera to exposure bracket (-1, 0, +1), and took a bracket of shots of a wall at home. This is the '0' exposure RAW converted direct to jpeg unmodified. 14mm, F6.3, .8s, 100 ISO (E510 + 14-54)

Threw into Photomatix at the default settings for HDR (trial version, as can be seen by the watermark ) and out popped this result.

Considering I didn't use the recommended bracket is (-2, 0 +2) I thought this looked to be an excellent result. I used this wall because of the bright light from the window off to the right, and the shaded hallway left side.
                    Cheers....OzGary
                    -----------------------------------
                    E620 + ZD 14-42, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200, 70-300 and EC14 (+ E510)
                    E-M1 + EP3 + VF-2 + u1250 + u1442 + u14150 + u17 + u45 + MMF-2

Picasa

Comment

Makes a big difference gary and if I remember from last year, pretty easy to get good results straight away - must go back to it !

Comment

I've just put some more examples here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/elliott....eat=directlink

The ones with _de_ are using the 'details enhancer', the ones without are using tone compression. In all cases, default settings were used with minor tweaks only when necessary. Only 'remove chromatic aberration' was turned on during the HDR image generation - other things like aligning images were turned off.

The exposures were -5EV, -3EV, 0EV, +1.3, +3EV, ESP metering, daylight WB (important NOT to use auto WB on HDR or each exposure might end up slightly different).

Post-processed in PTLens to remove any barrel distortion and correct perspective (avoiding converging parallels). Final crop and exposure tweaks in Lightroom.

The lens used was 9-18mm @ 9mm, f8.0 except P3115302_3_4_5_6_*, which was at 18mm.

Shot at ISO 100 on an E-3.

Andy

Edit: mid-point exposures added to picassa gallery for comparison...
                        Last edited by AndyElliott; 11th March 2009, 09:28 PM.
                        Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
                        mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
                        EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
                        Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

Working...
                        X