Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More megapixels or stay at 12MP but improve the quality?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More megapixels or stay at 12MP but improve the quality?

As Olympus use sensor shift technology it would be possible to use a Drizzle technique to up resolution...then you just need to drop the AA filter strength, increase the dynamic range capture ability and up the files to 14 or 16 bit...might get a little hot though with all that data processing!

Comment

I am in no way technically minded, especially pixel technology, so please don't beat me up if I make a few mistakes.

This is how I see it, some of the best picture quality I have seen from a DSLR has been from around 8 Million pixels to around 12 million. Notably the old Kodak sensor in the E-500 was 8 million gave nicer pictures so say some than the Panasonic sensor in subsequant cameras.
      It seems the manufacturers passed the sweet spot by,namely 10/12 Million pixels area in their search for the holy grail in ever increasing pixel count. Over saturating the sensor with pixels leads to noise and its how the processor deals with this is probably just as important as the sensor size.
      I have also seen some DSLR's get worse scores in many reviews for picture qulaity than the model they replaced.

I have seen Sony quoted in this thread as a alternative camera to test picture quality and noise in comparrisons. Sony for reasons only known to them have got very aggressive picture/colour enhancers in their engines and then don't give you a noise filter adjustment choice for fine tweaking.
      Sony supply Nikon and Pentax with sensors although they use their own processors. The best picture quality I ever saw was a Nikon fitted with a Fuji sensor.

Pete

Comment

Never being satisfied, what we of course want is more pixels and better quality.

Comment

Olympus have more or less indicated that 12mp is where they are stopping as the 4thirds sensor is working to full capacity and more pixels would just cause more problems than benefits . However, that statement was a couple of years ago and my guess is that its only a matter of time before we see possibly 16mp from Olympus. If Panasonic can do it wth M4T, then I don't see why Olympus can't. One things for sure, Olympus will only do it if there is genuine benefit but they will not do it just to join the pixel race.

Nikon in a statement said 12mp is their optimum pixel count for top picture quality. Look at the reviews of their 12mp DSLR's they all lead the field in picture quality, even better than their top Pro cams.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by whatapicture View Post
            Olympus have more or less indicated that 12mp is where they are stopping as the 4thirds sensor is working to full capacity and more pixels would just cause more problems than benefits . However, that statement was a couple of years ago and my guess is that its only a matter of time before we see possibly 16mp from Olympus. If Panasonic can do it wth M4T, then I don't see why Olympus can't. One things for sure, Olympus will only do it if there is genuine benefit but they will not do it just to join the pixel race.

Nikon in a statement said 12mp is their optimum pixel count for top picture quality. Look at the reviews of their 12mp DSLR's they all lead the field in picture quality, even better than their top Pro cams.

Peter
            The latest generation of Oly cameras has shown that they are working on improving the video processing in the camera CPU and to a lesser extent working on the noise issue at higher ISOs. It's not clear whether the processing has reached the limits of the capability of the sensor. Since they are now using a dual-core CPU there likely is quite a bit more that can be done in-camera processing. We will see what is announced (if anything) at the upcoming Japanese camera show.

Comment

Your right about the processing. Most of the RD is how you use and process the information off the sensor and that is probably where the future development will be.

Comment

The pixel hunt for me in the DSLR range is a waste of resource - I need the noise reduction and better quality. If I really want pixels then I will invest in a medium format job and scan the negs in - Now if only Olympus had done a Hassleblad type job as well then I could be in a dream world.

Most of us do not want 2mx1m size prints however

Comment

I have an E-3, with 10MP, and an E-500, which I don't really use any longer, with 8MP.

I am happy with the resolution of the E-3, and people have complimented me on the image quality from a camera with "only" 10MP. Had I seen the poll in time to vote, I would have opted for holding at 12MP, but reducing high-ISO noise. I take a lot of shots of my local amateur dramatic society's productions, and light is often low, so that would be far more important to me than significantly increasing the resolution, but merely marginally lowering the noise.

Mind you, it's all academic, to me, really; I couldn't afford an E-5, and I doubt that my finances will run to an E-7, or whatever it will be called, if such a camera is ever released. Frankly, if I did have the money, I think I'd go for better glass before a new body.

Comment

David

You are absolutely in the right direction, build up your glass not new camera bodies. I hope Olympus keep their word and give us a new mid price body this year.
                    They said once that 12mp was just about as far as they could go, [Panasonic did not agree, and we see 16mp from them with superb noise free images at high ISO] The 4thirds sensor don't forget is working at different measurements with pixel counts apportioned differently to an APS-C sensor which in effect is giving you a higher resolution in end product terms.
                    Some say and I agree that the E-510 at 10mp gives some of the finest images of any E system camera!
                    I wouldn't mind betting that Oly will bring out a 16mp body either M4T or E System or both.

Peter

Comment

It's not the number of Pixels but there size, the Leica DMR is only a 10 meg. pixels sensor but there large very hard to beat the picture quality. Just go check out Doug Herr bird and wild life web site.

john

Comment

Originally posted by whatapicture View Post
                        I wouldn't mind betting that Oly will bring out a 16mp body either M4T or E System or both.

Peter
                        I don't believe you!

This is quite an old thread being resurrected, no?
                        Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I have no plans to have a gallery showing of my efforts on huge prints, but do appreciate high quality images. Furthermore, I would like to see a bit more dynamic range and ISO performance from the next generation sensor.

I believe that a 12.3 MP is too small to be successful on today's market, but if given the choice between a mediocre 16-18 MP sensor, and a fully sorted 12.3 MP sensor, I would take the latter. I would be very happy with a sensor that could outperform a Nikon D300.

Of course, I hope Olympus brings a 16-18 MP sensor with better performance regarding dynamic range and high ISO image quality. The release of a camera with that kind of sensor would only do good things for Olympus in the marketplace.

Kendra
                          Olympus E-620 camera body, HLD-5 grip, FL-50R Flash, Olympus Zuiko ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0, 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 and ED 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lenses, and a TC-14 Tele-converter.

Comment

This is an old thread and of course Olympus has now moved to 16MP - not only that but the noise and DR has been significantly improved because Olympus is using a new sensor from Sony, who are the leaders in the field.

Ian
                            Founder/editor
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

But would a 'fully sorted' 12Mp sensor be better for low light/high I so and better DR?

Comment

Originally posted by crimbo View Post
                                But would a 'fully sorted' 12Mp sensor be better for low light/high I so and better DR?
                                Pardon me for being dense this morning, but what does that (fully sorted) mean in this context?

Comment

Working...
                                X