Comparison OM-D E-M1 Mark I vs Mark II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison OM-D E-M1 Mark I vs Mark II

I've been the happy owner of a number of Olympus cameras, starting from the OM-1 to the Om-D E-M1 mark 1. I have the latest firmware for that one. What advantages would I gain if I got an OM-D E-M1 Mark 2, or am I just suffering from GAS Gear Acquisition Syndrome)? It looks like several of the Mark II features have been added via firmware updates to the Mark I. Perhaps a more useful place o put my funds would be in the 7-14mm m.Zuiko PRO lens. I mainly do still photography, with only occasional videos.

Re: Comparison OM-D E-M1 Mark I vs Mark II

I had GAS & got my Mk II last year, but it was also because the Mk II had a little more resolution with a little more dynamic range, cross PD-AF sensors (on sensor) & more of them (Mk I only has horizontal PD-AF sensors) for better AF (although it wasn't as good as it is now with the added small AF target in the FW update 2.0), fully articulating screen (useful in some situations & a slight pain in others), ProCapture where I can now grab moments that I would be unlikely to get because of timing, full silent mode ability (not limited like the Mk I), even more comfortable grip (not needing a bottom plate for my pinky), also has 4-way pad on battery grip (HLD-9, when I'm using it), two way switch reversed & more comfortable to reach & use, plus can be used as the power switch if desired, plus........ other things that aren't coming to mind right now. I am glad I was able to buy mine at the time & with cash back deals in the UK now I would seriously be looking at possible best prices around (if I didn't have one & lived there), but then you're in the USA, so not aware of deals there at the moment. When I use the Mk I along with the Mk II (different lens on each) it makes me wish I had two Mk II's instead as the response is better & quicker (in a number of situations), but the Mk I is better for 'shooting from the hip' with its 'tilt only' screen. I would not want to be without the Mk I, with just one body (I still have the E-M5, but that is somewhat slow compared to the E-M1's) so would not want to be having to trade the Mk I in for the Mk II.

Other features that comes to mind is Fn2 has seven different MultiFunctions unlike the limited four on the Mk I, plus the remote cable plugs in from the right (using a generic copy of a Canon type), plus the data cable now a standard USB (latest version) connector that can be plugged in either way (like iPad).

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Ross; 26th May 2018, 10:19 AM.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      I hope that helps.
      Thank, those are the reasons I have been considering the purchase. I will probably wait a bit and continue to pay down some of my past puchases. So much gear, so little cash (now that I am retired...) I had puchased the Mk I unexpectedly when I ended up winning a 5K$ gift card from Best Buy a couple of year ago. Welcome, even though I had to pay taxes on it :-). Before that my most recent Oly was the E-P2 and I didn't have any of the PRO lenses :-(

Comment

Another difference not mentioned, there is no SCN assist in the mk2. so if you have been enjoying that, and use it, the mk2 is not for you.
        My humble Photos

Comment

Working...
        X