Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Festive Fotos competition short list!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Festive Fotos competition short list!

Well, I can reveal that sonyhome (Dan) is the winner, with his amazing picture featuring huge and colourful kites. I contacted him last week but he's been away, but he got in touch yesterday and so now the news can be revealed. Congratulations Dave! Your E-30 outfit will be on its way to you very soon.

I'm sorry for the long and drawn out process for this competition and I promise the next one will be simplified.

Indeed, November's competition to win a copy of ACD Photo Manager Pro is now closed and we will announced the winner later today.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian; 1st December 2009, 06:34 PM. Reason: He's Dan, not Dave (my bad!)
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Congratulations Dave - a worthy winner

Comment

Thats a good one for the Christmas stocking - congrats.
        E510, E3, E-PL1,E620 ,E-5,OM-D
        50-200SWD, 14-54Mk1, 50mm f2. 35mm,70-300mm,12-60mmSWD,PL-25mm-1.4,150mm-F2
        MFT: 14-42(kit)/12mm/45mm

Comment

Congratulations!

Congratulations Dan! I really liked that picture myself, great work Enjoy your new E30!

Comment

Thanks Ian,

Yeah me

Now for a speech... Even if you don't want to hear it.

This is the first time I enter a real photo competition with a real prize. I'm thrilled to have been chosen . I'm gonna celebrate with a couple of friends whom I discuss photo often (BTW a small plug for Anil who's a step ahead of me in skills).

It was wise to wait for my reply before announcing: I was away with the US Thanksgiving break to remote parts of Death Valley NP, exploring where few tourists venture with a friend who owns a real 4x4 SUV. I could've never come back from there... Tourists have been known to disappear there. In fact, I injured myself and dislocated my ring finger there on saturday. I popped it back in place seconds after the accident as having the finger at 45 degree angle was freaking me up . The SUV also got hurt a little: its steering wheel is now tilted from making friends with a big rock, a little too fast. As usual, I'll post some pics later of our finds, since I bothered to bring my best FT setup, and used mostly a 12-60 lens.

A small word of how I do photography...

A lot of serious photographers do recon, and pick the time and sometimes date for their photo. I don't...

I've been shaped by my activities to do drive by shooting (I do mostly outdoors and climbing photo). This implies developping a few skills that many decent photographers have: detecting good compositions instantly, and then composing it fast. Among other things, I often find a good foreground subject that has a good setting for composition. I then move to get the best angle for the background setting. When I shoot I will often focus mostly on the background or other details of the composition. People who follow the critics section know my comments often relate to the above methodology. I often also control the light with the AEL button, and the focus with centered focus point and recomposition. So those have been musts on my last digital cameras. However I will rarely worry about the DOF unless I specifically feel the need to detach a subject or maximize DOF.

The kite photo I submitted followed that composition rule. I detected I liked the surreal proportions of the kites and the crowds, and composed. Since I already knew about the kites, my eye focussed on composing the setting: I looked to include the people as well ans the more remote kites I prefered, and tried to stack the larger kites. A close-up composition where none of the large kites was fully visible enhances the size impact of the kites. Fortunately there were many identical large kites, so I was able to include parts of each one. The viewer can easilly reconstruct how the main kites look as a sum of the parts shown.

I have to admit this competition is what first drew me into the forum: At the time I was looking at the high-ISO noise issue which was bugging me, first with my E-300 then later with my E-510, and I was contemplating a new body but wanted user feedback. Some may remember more or less educated posts I did on the subject, and my conclusion that I could pust the E-510 to ISO800 before noise became too destructive. Anyway, back then an E-30 naturally looked very enticing. I've since then stuck around, learned some and hopefully contributed some value to the other users of the forum. For the story, I forgot my E-300 in Yosemite comming back from my first Half-dome hike (loose some, win some I guess). I had bought it as a 2-lens kit, because I was leaving for a Utah trip and needed a cheap compact DSLR since I had no time to buy the Canon with 100-400IS lens I was eying (too expensive for an impulse buy). It turned out a great choice, and so I stuck with the system, with the E-510 which I bought after that loss, again as a full kit. I even gave away a full Canon Rebel DSLR setup I inherited to a cousin, as I now think the FT system is far superior for my light-and-fast travel needs. I believe the megapixel race is over so the FT system will catch up on the high-ISO race and will then pull ahead with the MFT. I even have Canon friends thinking that they will not save full-size RAW files with their next bodies as 15MPix/20MB files are overkill and too much to deal with. I also now post more here than in the nature photographer forum, as I prefer the critics here (NPN has too many pros, and a lot of photos there are technically textbook flawless but unimaginative, so the critics there turned out not as useful for me).

Anyhow, thanks again to Ian, the FT-user forum, all the voters of the competition, and Olympus for this festive competition opportunity.

Cheers!

Dan-
            Bodies: E510, E30, E-PL1, Lenses: 12-60mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm, 35mm, EC-14, 14-42mmL, 40-150mm, MMF-2.

Comment

Working...
            X