Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTU Day Out - Epping Forest 9th November

TIME FOR ANOTHER FTU DAY OUT

THIS TIME TO PHOTOGRAPH THE AUTUMN COLOURS IN EPPING FOREST, ON SUNDAY 9TH NOVEMBER.

I'm afraid there's no cosy cafe to meet for breakfast on this one!

The Meeting Place is the public car park at Connaught Water. I will be there at 6.00 am to meet anyone else interested in a potential sunrise over the lake. If we are lucky (it cannot be guaranteed) we will be rewarded with the rich colours of the dawn sky reflected in the lake, maybe with swirling mist rising gently from the still water! (If we are unlucky we can sit in the car, drinking coffee from a flask while we listen to the rain hammering on the roof! There is an emergency McDonalds within 2 miles that opens early on a Sunday if we get desperate ).

After the sunrise (?) there should be plenty of water scenes, trees, fallen leaves, fungi and birdlife to occupy us until we return to the car park to meet any later arrivals at 9.00 am.

We will then undertake a walk of approximately 6 miles through the heart of the forest which should provide a wealth of woodland photographic opportunities en route. At approximately halfway we will arrive at High Beech for lunch where there is a cafe and a pub.

The forest can be muddy at this time of year so please bring suitable footwear that is also comfortable for a walk of this length. Walking boots and gaiters are ideal if you have them. Also bring waterproofs and warm clothing including hats and gloves. Consider bringing a hot flask and some simple snacks if you have room. Don't forget macro lenses for fungi and a lightweight tripod if you have one. An umbrellor can be useful for holding over your tripod-mounted camera in the rain and a plastic sheet can make ground level shots more comfortable.

If you are interested please reply in this thread or by PM.

Forest glade near High Beech - one of the locations we can visit.

CONNAUGHT WATER is situated on the A1069 between Chingford and Epping. More detailed directions to follow.
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Re: FTU Day Out - Epping Forest 9th November

Sounds good to me John. Another great idea. I'll have to confirm nearer the time but pencil me in
    All the best,
    Phil
    All the best,
    Phil

www.stickmanphotography.co.uk | www.customcreative.co.uk

Comment

Epping Forest is one of the remnants of an ancient deciduous forest. Many areas are covered in permanent leaf litter and there are numerous brooks and streams. I can be quite undulating and thick with undergrowth in areas, and there are also some clearings. It might be a little late to catch the best of the autumn leaves, but there are lots of photo opportunities to be had - no matter the weather. There are deer, but they are very hard to spot

I will almost certainly be there and will have a usual selection of lenses, including the 9-18. There is a chance I will have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Micro Four Thirds camera as well

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
        There are deer, but they are very hard to spot

Ian

There are one or two places where you can be 90% sure of seeing deer both Fallow and Mucjacs that I can show you.
        All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14,50-200,50mm F2 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500,OM50mm(F1.8),OM28mm(f2.8),FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,Manfrotto 680b monopod,crap tripod,various filters/CF cards.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andypeter/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
          Epping Forest is one of the remnants of an ancient deciduous forest. Many areas are covered in permanent leaf litter and there are numerous brooks and streams. I can be quite undulating and thick with undergrowth in areas, and there are also some clearings. It might be a little late to catch the best of the autumn leaves, but there are lots of photo opportunities to be had - no matter the weather. There are deer, but they are very hard to spot

I've noticed the last couple of years that the trees are turning later than they used to, particularly the beech. However, this year I think you might be right as it's been such a poor summer and autumn seems to be starting early. I'm sure there will be no shortage of colour in the forest, though, and I couldn't do the previous two weekends due to a familly holiday!

I will almost certainly be there and will have a usual selection of lenses, including the 9-18. There is a chance I will have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Micro Four Thirds camera as well

Two bits of kit I reckon everyone will want to get their hands on! A day in the forest should be a good test for the G1!

Ian
          The response I've had so far is terrific - we might well need that new 9-18mm lens for the obligatory group photo! But there is plenty of room for more - it's a big forest!
          View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Just thought I would add this in case anyone wants to do a bit of background reading.

http://theydon.org.uk/lhs/lhs%20pages/Walks.htm
            All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14,50-200,50mm F2 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500,OM50mm(F1.8),OM28mm(f2.8),FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,Manfrotto 680b monopod,crap tripod,various filters/CF cards.

Comment

Hi John -

Anne and I hope to be there - will confirm later.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

John,

I have e-mailed you some info you may want to consider.

Regards
                Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Comment

Hi John! Hope to join you on the 9th at 9 rather than 6 though! Peter H

Comment

Is there any way to get there (or near there) via public transport from London as I don't drive. Barring engineering works I can easily get to Theydon Bois or Epping on the Central Line.

Comment

Originally posted by the4ts View Post
                      Is there any way to get there (or near there) via public transport from London as I don't drive. Barring engineering works I can easily get to Theydon Bois or Epping on the Central Line.

Hi

The closest station from London is Chingford.the trains to there run from Liverpool street.Its about 25 mins on the train and then about 15 mins walk

The nearest underground is Loughton.Its about 25 -30 mins walk from there.
                      All the best

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by andym View Post
                        Hi

The closest station from London is Chingford.the trains to there run from Liverpool street.Its about 25 mins on the train and then about 15 mins walk

The nearest underground is Loughton.Its about 25 -30 mins walk from there.
                        Thanks, Andy! I'll look into that and see if it is doable. Looks an interesting day out!

Comment

Hi,

The day will soon be here and, despite it looking likely that the best of the colours will have passed, I'm sure that the forest will still be beautiful with plenty to photograph.

I've had 17 replies, most of them definites, but only 3 (apart from myself) have said they are up for the 6 am start! The advantage of meeting at this time is that if there is a sunrise we will be there to capture it. The disadvantage is that it will be cold, dark and there is no guarantee that the weather will co-operate to make it worthwhile!

Could Xpres, Graham of Rainham and Glen Bentley please confirm they are still up for the early start and could any others who plan to be there for 6 am please let me know.

The full list of those that have said they are coming, or possibly coming is:-

Ian
                          andym
                          HughofBardfield
                          Xpres
                          Graham of Rainham
                          thecedars (Mark)
                          JohnGG
                          Andrew Riddell
                          Glen Bentley
                          RogerMac
                          Ghene
                          fulhamphil
                          thestickman (Phil)
                          Barrie & Anne
                          Peter H
                          the4ts

Could all the above please confirm if definitely coming (and specify if 6am or 9am), either replying on this thread or by e-mail to johnperriment@btinternet.com

On the day my contact mobile number is 07772416988

The meeting place, Connaught Water, is situated on the A1069 between Chingford and the A104 (the main road that runs through the centre of the forest). Approaching from Chingford it is situated on the left and has a large car park.

I look forward to seeing you all on Sunday!

Cheers,

John

John

Comment

Sounds like fun! So I take Interstate 20 East to South Carolina then get on I-95 North to New York. What road do I take from there?

Comment

Originally posted by mvino View Post
                              Sounds like fun! So I take Interstate 20 East to South Carolina then get on I-95 North to New York. What road do I take from there?
                              HaHa!

And I wouldn't mind a trip to Louisiana! Maybe someday, eh?

Cheers,

John

Comment

Working...
                              X