Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That sounds like a crock of it! :-)

Thanks for testing Chris
    From what I understand, the Lo Mid Hi settings is for the strength of the communication flashes only, this is so you can set it to low so you don't trigger another Oly users flashes who is on the same channel/preserve battery life.
    The control of whether the pop-up flash "fires" is in the Super Menu thing like normal, just set it to off. That should mean it fired the comms flashes to the wireless units, but doesn't actualy go off when firing. I have no R unit to test this but thats the theory. However the wireless comms flashes are probably so fast that it is hard to visually tell whether it is firing or not, in much the same way that you don't normally see the pre-firing flashes used to determine exposure, its just to fast for the human eye.
    Hopefully someone nice (Chris maybe ) can confirm.
    All the best,
    Phil

ps - I'm sure you're right on the distances, probably stated the ranges in which they can be almost totally certain it will flash so they don't get people complaining.
    All the best,
    Phil

www.stickmanphotography.co.uk | www.customcreative.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by thestickman View Post
      Thanks for testing Chris
      From what I understand, the Lo Mid Hi settings is for the strength of the communication flashes only, this is so you can set it to low so you don't trigger another Oly users flashes who is on the same channel/preserve battery life.
      The control of whether the pop-up flash "fires" is in the Super Menu thing like normal, just set it to off. That should mean it fired the comms flashes to the wireless units, but doesn't actualy go off when firing.
      Yes the Output is variable for the reasons you mention but remote flash control does not work if you turn off the popup reflector in the flash menu as you suggest. If you turn it off, it doesn't light at all so there are no comms flashes.

Incidentaly, these eneloop batteries are very good, I'm still using the same set and have fired this thing countless times!
      Chris

Comment

This is like owning an 'FL-R' flash by proxy! :-)

Yes, thanks for the tsting Chris.

p.s I'd have thought the Hi/Mid/Lo thing was so you DIDN'T get any pop-up light on the subject and that you'd use the 'Channels' to avoid annoying any other affluent Oly users nearby? ;-)

P.S. Here's a link to all the manuals for everything including the FL-R units.. which I'm just DLing at the mo. In 5 mins, you'll be able to ask me anying about the FL50R! ;-)
        All manuals:
        http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...wnload/manual/

or the FL50R in particular:
        http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...an_fl50r_e.pdf

Comment

Re: Olympus announces remote control (RC) wireless flash units FL-50R and FL-36R

By the way, I meant what 'he said' sounded like a crock of it.

Now I'm reading the manual for the FL50R, the port he's on about is on the FLASH, not the body! Duh!

Comment

Re: Olympus announces remote control (RC) wireless flash units FL-50R and FL-36R

Here's the message I received when I wrote to Jim Lee of Olympus. (Jim travels around the U.S. to various large camera stores giving Olympus camera classes. He's an Olympus tech wonk.)

===============================

Hi Leonard,

The new FL-50 R flash receives information from the E-3 pop-up flash. This is a Flash triggered system and not a wireless or IR based flash system. The pop-up flash has a range limit so the FL-50 R must be able to see the flash from the E-3 in order to fire.

From my testing, the pop-up flash did not interfere with the overall light value. Since it is giving you TTL reading it is very accurate even at a close range to the subject.

I hope this information helps you.

Best,

Jim
            ------------------------------------------------
            Jim Lee
            Olympus Imaging America Inc.
            Sr. Technical Representative

What he means by "the pop-up flash did not interfere with the overall light value" is that the light from the popup flash doesn't interfere with the (tightly calculated) lighting effects from the off-camera light sources.

Evidently confusion reigns, at least at Olympus tech support (you should have heard the technobabble I heard when talking to their tech support about "near-infrared transmissions," "no need to raise the popup," etc.). I take what Jim says over what I heard from the TS guy.

Leonard

Comment

Hey OG
              Actually, it's all in the manual. If one of us had read this a few days ago, we wouldn't be having this conversation now (Pleasant though it is). :-)

It's basically: the pop-up emits the signals and there's a port on the flash that recieves that signal.

Which is what Jim told you.

.. and I'm not gonna touch 'light values'! ;-)

p.s One thing I did learn from the manual about why it's always best to use 'Auto' WB in flash is that the kelvin value changes according to the output from the flash. The variable in the 'Auto' setting taking up the change.

I didn't know that so thought I'd share.
              Last edited by E1-2-E3; 15th December 2007, 04:01 PM. Reason: added a p.s.

Comment

Originally posted by OlympusGuy View Post
                Here's the message I received when I wrote to Jim Lee of Olympus. (Jim travels around the U.S. to various large camera stores giving Olympus camera classes. He's an Olympus tech wonk.)

Hi Leonard,

The new FL-50 R flash receives information from the E-3 pop-up flash. This is a Flash triggered system and not a wireless or IR based flash system. The pop-up flash has a range limit so the FL-50 R must be able to see the flash from the E-3 in order to fire.

From my testing, the pop-up flash did not interfere with the overall light value. Since it is giving you TTL reading it is very accurate even at a close range to the subject.

I hope this information helps you.

Best,

Jim
                ------------------------------------------------
                Jim Lee
                Olympus Imaging America Inc.
                Sr. Technical Representative

What he means by "the pop-up flash did not interfere with the overall light value" is that the light from the popup flash doesn't interfere with the (tightly calculated) lighting effects from the off-camera light sources.

Evidently confusion reigns, at least at Olympus tech support (you should have heard the technobabble I heard when talking to their tech support about "near-infrared transmissions," "no need to raise the popup," etc.). I take what Jim says over what I heard from the TS guy.

Leonard
                Basically confirms what I have found except that the flashgun does not necessarily need to be in line of sight and will fire if it sees reflections from the popup on a wall or ceiling etc. For example I have just been firing it indoors under tungsten lighting with the camera 30ft away, directly behind the flashgun so the sensor is facing away from the camera. I have also fired it from around corners as long as the sensor can see the reflected light from the popup. All on lo setting. The system seems to work very well.

The hi & med, popup settings will possibly be needed outdoors or if the ambient light is higher.
                Chris

Comment

Well, all of your experimentation allays my fears about the pop-up giving off unwanted fill flash! Now we know more than Olympus Tech Support (U.S. at least) does! :p

Leonard

Comment

Working...
                  X