Full frame?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full frame?

This is just one of those crazy ideas you get while washing dishes!

Canikon users often comment that Olympus has "backed themselves into a corner" with the four-thirds standard because they won't be able to make a full-frame camera... (not that I'm saying it's at all necessary!)

What if Oly made a full-frame camera that could, along with new lenses, accept OM lenses (at full-frame) and could also accept four-thirds lenses that would just make use of the central area of the sensor (obviously at a lower resolution)... problem solved!
    E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Re: Full frame?

Just Nikon with the D3 ? I believe the D3 can use DX format lenses but these only use the centre of the sensor for a 6MP picture.

Comment

Oly are no more backed into a corner than Canon or Nikon. With both you need a different range of lenses (EF-S/EF and DX/FX) for their full frame models than their APS. Sony and Samsung will face the same issue when/if they launch their ff models.

Oly could decide to build a full frame range of cameras but would of course have to introduce a new range of lenses. It would be a good call to include semi backwards compatibility with four thirds lenses like Nikon did and such a range could run alongside their four thirds. I presume it would be no probem to make the full frame lenses work on four thirds bodies.

Would be a big investment though.
      Look at my photos on my website. Recently updated - too many new things to mention in one go . Also see some more of my pics at my flickr pages and on my funky flickr viewer

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
        What if Oly made a full-frame camera
        Um, the FourThirds cameras are ALREADY full frame. The only time the image is cropped is when you're using a legacy 35mm lens like OM lenses.

If Canikon can produce reduced noise CMOS cameras (or as least process the CMOS signal so the noise of the inherently noisy CMOS sensor isn't so bad), there's a lot of room for FourThirds to grow (in terms of MP and reduction of noise).

Comment

As Mike says, Four Thirds is already 'full frame' as its lens spec is designed specifically for the image circle that the sensor is designed for.

To be fair, Canon EF-S, Nikon DX and the other 'small' sensor DSLR lens systems are, technically, 'full frame' too. But when using Canon EF and other 135 format full frame lenses on small sensor DSLRs, the 'full frame' aspect goes out of the window.

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

135/35mm format is not the be all and end all of film formats, it just happened to catch on because it was smaller than the cameras of the time that used larger format film (like 6cmx6cm).

Each film format has it's benefits and compromises...135 format compromised DOF control and some sharpness for a more compact sized camera for ease of handling over the larger format cameras.

FourThirds is also a compromise in that we have less DOF for more compact lenses and ease of handling. Compare the size of our 300mm f/2.8 lens with a Canon 600mm f/2.8...oh wait there isn't one, theirs is only an f/4 lens and it's a monster.

I've used so many film/camera formats over the years (including a process camera that you actually walk into the back of and can't leave until you develop the film), and there is no best format for everything...EVERY format is a compromise in either features (DOF, sharpness) or handling.

Unfortunately most people don't educate themselves on the different formats...they think 135 format is the best and there's nothing better out there. Sure they may have heard of the name Hasselblad, but most don't realize it uses larger format film...they think it's just the style of camera and lenses that makes cameras like Hasselblad different and it's just another 135 format camera.

Comment

Working...
            X