What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! What am I doing wrong?

I photographed this Little Egret yesterday and I took around 100 pictures that looks like this.
    Settings: F 6.3 1/400 sec ISO 200 and -0.7 EV
    E-M1 Mark 2, 300 f4.0 and tele converter 1.4
    Lots of pictures I take, look like that especially at the coast on a sunny day and with white birds.

There must be some setting I can use to get better pictures. At least the bird looks to be in focus. I have seen other people’s pictures of the same bird and in the same place and weather condition, and they looks much better.
    I have pictures of Great Egret I took last year with the E-M1 Mark I with the 4/3 150/f2.0 and 2x tele converter and they looks equally crappy.

Regards

Bo

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Hi Bo

Yes it does look very soft. Just a thought, how have you got your Anti-shock settings set.
    I think these are only supposed to affect shutter speeds for 100-250 but worth a try.
    It in camera 2, anti shock. I have mine set to 0 second for both normal and silent shutter.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
    All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14,50-200,50mm F2 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500,OM50mm(F1.8),OM28mm(f2.8),FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,Manfrotto 680b monopod,crap tripod,various filters/CF cards.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andypeter/

Comment

Try using faster F-stop than 6.3...I've had similar outputs with very bright light (white objects)
      E510, E3, E-PL1,E620 ,E-5,OM-D
      50-200SWD, 14-54Mk1, 50mm f2. 35mm,70-300mm,12-60mmSWD,PL-25mm-1.4,150mm-F2
      MFT: 14-42(kit)/12mm/45mm

Comment

Thanks guys, I will test your advices.

Comment

I sometimes get results like that for distance shots and again i get some great results,my money is on camera movement,not enough to stand out as that but enought to take the edge off.
          I dont have a EM1mK11 but i would look at auto iso f8 and 1/1000th of a second for those shots.

Your looking at 420mm (fov 840mm ) and i find with my 100-400 Leica zoom over those distances any very minor errors in my camera stability get magnified,close ups with stabilasation i can use very slow shutter speeds but not distant shots.
          This was taken at the 1/1000th @ 400mm (800mm fov),remember a sharp image with a bit of noise in is better than a noiseless unsharp image.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much mikew.

Comment

I would also strongly recommend using Anti-Shock (0 Seconds) with the E-M1. Is the body up to date with firmware too because it allows Anti-Shock on sequential shooting in later updates (single only on early FW)?
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thank you very much Ross,

Itīs an E-M1 Mark II with latest firmware. So I will try e-shutter next time I try to take pictures of a white bird.

Regards

Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Wilhelm View Post
                  Thank you very much Ross,

Itīs an E-M1 Mark II with latest firmware. So I will try e-shutter next time I try to take pictures of a white bird.

Regards

Bo
                  The Mk II is (should be) much better for shutter shock since the shutter mechanism is soft mounted.
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Did you figure out what went wrong Wilhelm

Comment

It is not suppose to require any lens calibration for mirrorless. BUT I think I find my 40-150 a tat sharper after calibration. Having said that, Could it be you need to calibrate that 150/2 and that 300/4? And if lens calibration is not necessary, when is it there in the settings?
                      My humble Photos

Comment

With on-sensor PDAF lens calibration to fix front or back-focus should be less critical, but I guess with Four Thirds lenses it would be a good idea to follow the procedure. The mechanism might not stop the focus action as instantly as required, for example. This could happen with MFT lense as well, but less likely because of the different focusing motor mechanism.

Ian
                        Founder/editor
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
                        X