Zuiko 12-60 on Panasonic L10?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zuiko 12-60 on Panasonic L10?

HI, I'm building up my first SDLR kit, I'm really keen on getting the Zuiko 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 lens and looking for the camera body to go with it.

The right choice would be Olympus E-30 but all together it would be more heavy and expensive than I wish.

Some people use the smaller Olympus E-620 with the Zuiko 12-60 however they all state it is a pretty unbalanced combination.

I have been looking around and the only alternative seems to be a Panasonic Lumix L10 that could go with the Zuiko 12-60. The L10 is slightly bigger and heavier then the E-620, so it could balance better the 12-60 lens. At the same time it is not as big and heavy as the Olympus E-30.

Now, I wonder if anybody out there is mounting a Zuiko 12-60 on their Panasonic L10 and could tell me if it is a good combination? What about the balance of the two?

The Zuiko 12-60 is not a stabilized lens, could this be a problem when mounted on the L10?

I also think to understand that Zuiko 12-60 is not a CDAF compatible lens, what does that mean applied to the L10?

Many thanks for any information you can give...

Re: Zuiko 12-60 on Panasonic L10?

Also consider the E-330 which is similar to, but IMO, slightly better thanks to the tiltable screen on the back.

Steve
    Steve

Comment

I can't speak for the L10, but the Olympus E-500, E-510, or E-520 would be a great choice for that lens, particularly the E-510 or E-520 which both have in-body Image Stabilization.

The E-5xx series all have the large grip and heavier BLM-1 battery, unlike the E-620 you mentioned. The lack of a decent grip is what makes this lens unbalanced on the E-620, but you'll find all the heavier lenses work wonderfully on the E-5xx series. This is why I think the "merging" of the E-4xx series with the E-5xx series to create the E-6xx series was a really bad idea. The E-5xx series was awesome for being a small, robust body which could comfortably handle any size lens, which is what the E-6xx series fails at. The E-6xx series like the E-4xx series, feels unbalanced with all the larger lenses, while the E-5xx feels just as secure as my E-3 - at like 2/3 the size and weight.
      Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Ned View Post
        I can't speak for the L10, but the Olympus E-500, E-510, or E-520 would be a great choice for that lens, particularly the E-510 or E-520 which both have in-body Image Stabilization.

The E-5xx series all have the large grip and heavier BLM-1 battery, unlike the E-620 you mentioned. The lack of a decent grip is what makes this lens unbalanced on the E-620, but you'll find all the heavier lenses work wonderfully on the E-5xx series. This is why I think the "merging" of the E-4xx series with the E-5xx series to create the E-6xx series was a really bad idea. The E-5xx series was awesome for being a small, robust body which could comfortably handle any size lens, which is what the E-6xx series fails at. The E-6xx series like the E-4xx series, feels unbalanced with all the larger lenses, while the E-5xx feels just as secure as my E-3 - at like 2/3 the size and weight.
        I can not speak for the L10 or indeed for the E620 but apart from that I agree with every word. The 12-60 sits perfectly on my E510 and the combination is a joy to use

Roger

Comment

I have not felt any issues with a 12-60 on the 400, 510, 620, 30 or 3 - the latter 2 with and without grip...

In fact I would say the 400 and 620 work best with the left hand fully supporting the lens and the body together - you can't do this with the 3 and the 510/30 are in-between (not a bad thing)

Now the 12-60 is not a small light lens, and many that have opted for the 4xx and 6xx body have done so for size and weight factors, but to say it's an 'unbalanced' set up is, frankly, mis-leading. Stick an FL50 on the 620 with a 14-42 and that's unbalanced!
          E-P1, OMD E-M1, E400
          7-14/12-50/12-60/14-42/17/30(1.4)/35-100/40-150/45/50/50-200
          ec14/ec20/ex25/MMF-1, MMF-3/ RF11/FL50Rs/FL36R/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Comment

I'll add a little detail. The reason I was not thinking of the E-5xx series is because of the lack of the movable LCD. I come from a Canon Powershot SX10 and really enjoyed that feature in many occasions, which is one thing I would like not to lose and which made me look into Olympus for my first SDLR instead of the usual Canon/Nikon choice. However I know I will have to compromise something in the end..

Comment

Originally posted by Mopop View Post
              I'll add a little detail. The reason I was not thinking of the E-5xx series is because of the lack of the movable LCD. I come from a Canon Powershot SX10 and really enjoyed that feature in many occasions, which is one thing I would like not to lose and which made me look into Olympus for my first SDLR instead of the usual Canon/Nikon choice. However I know I will have to compromise something in the end..
              The L-10 is okay, and has better resolution than even the 12MP olympus cameras by virtue of a very weak anti-alias filter. The L-10 feels rather cheap compared with any of the Olympus cameras or the excellent L-1. I was always worried the little switches would snap off and the feel is rather 'plasticky'. Performance wise, it's better than the E-510 in liveview - it can do contrast AF like the E-520, E-420, E-620, E-30. It can also do multiple exposures (not that useful). It is a lot less configurable than the E-5x0 or E-6x0. It also uses SDHC cards - I much prefer CF cards. If the articulating screen is not a deal-breaker, get the E-520 instead.

Andy
              Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
              mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
              EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
              Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

I have a 12-60 on my E620, albeit I use a classic stance, the EVF and battery grip most of the time. I find it the best lens in my kit. I use it all the time. I am not sure about the unbalanced comment. The only problem I have is lens shadow from the pop up flash but the Fl 60 fixes that. If you are looking for compact the 12-60 doesn't fit the bill. The E620 with the 14-42 would or 14-45 be a better choice for compact.
                Graeme
                OM-D E-M1 | mzd 7-14 pro | mzd 12-40 Pro|mzd 40-150 Pro| MC 1.4| manfrotto 198xprob | benro 98mc monopod| gorillapod| lowepro terraclime 100| L R4 | Adobe MS 6

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Comment

The 12-60 balances fine on an E-620 if you ask me. As a previous poster pointed out you could add the battery grip if you like. I run mine with the battery grip if I am shooting indoors, but when traveling or walking around i usually shoot without.

Jim Couch

Comment

Originally posted by Mopop View Post
                    HI, I'm building up my first SDLR kit, I'm really keen on getting the Zuiko 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 lens and looking for the camera body to go with it.

The right choice would be Olympus E-30 but all together it would be more heavy and expensive than I wish.

Some people use the smaller Olympus E-620 with the Zuiko 12-60 however they all state it is a pretty unbalanced combination.

I have been looking around and the only alternative seems to be a Panasonic Lumix L10 that could go with the Zuiko 12-60. The L10 is slightly bigger and heavier then the E-620, so it could balance better the 12-60 lens. At the same time it is not as big and heavy as the Olympus E-30.

Now, I wonder if anybody out there is mounting a Zuiko 12-60 on their Panasonic L10 and could tell me if it is a good combination? What about the balance of the two?

The Zuiko 12-60 is not a stabilized lens, could this be a problem when mounted on the L10?

I also think to understand that Zuiko 12-60 is not a CDAF compatible lens, what does that mean applied to the L10?

Many thanks for any information you can give...
                    Currently I have the e-30, L1 and just recently the L10. I also had the e500, e510, e520, e300 that i have sold already...

I really love the output of the L10, image quality-wise, it is much superior than the e5xx series since your hi iso shots would be banding free...

Mounting the 12-60 on the L10 gives a good feel to it, ofcourse it's a bit front heavy, but it's not too big for the L10. When using the Live view, the mirror has to flip up to focus and then flip down after focus confirm... not like the e30 or the e520 wherein there is hybrid mode for non cdaf compatible lenses in which the mirror would no longer flip up to get focus.

And IR focus assist lamp of the L10 only works for live view with CDAF lenses, so for non-cdaf lenses, the focus assist you would get is the flash strobe thingy when the pop up flash is up...

Having no in-body IS is not a problem for me, you just have to get your technique right... and is much more useable in low light (iso 1600) because of the no banding issue... ( i seldom used my e5xx in iso 1600)

hope i helped you here buddy, if you can get a cheap L10 body, then i recommend this to you.

any more questions you wanna ask?
                    Last edited by francis79; 4th April 2010, 03:44 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

Originally posted by francis79 View Post
                      ... if you can get a cheap L10 body, then i recommend this to you...
                      I'd second that.
                      I've been using an L10 for a documentary project for the last 5 months and it's performed very well. It does feel cheap but it produces the goods and is still going strong despite wind and rain and plenty of dust. I have a grip fitted so there are no power issues. I mostly used the 9-18mm so can't comment on how it feels with a 12-60 -I don't have one anyway - but it's OK with a 14-54.
                      Great camera for the money.

Comment

Working...
                      X