No announcement yet.

I've not seen many posts on this part of the forum, lets see your DMC-L1s'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've not seen many posts on this part of the forum, lets see your DMC-L1s'

Originally posted by ReggieB View Post
    I am curious about the "red dot" version, what's the story with that?
    It's very much an inside joke.

The E-300/DMC-L1 was specifically designed by Oly/Panny/Leica to be a retro "rangefinder-look" camera (I'm not sure about the specific details on who did what with the design). One reason, presumably the driving reason, was that Leica wanted the rangefinder look so that they could release a Leica version of that DSLR called the Digilux 3 (which they did). The Leica cachet would have seemed important to the 4/3 folks back then.

The Digilux 3 was the L1 except that: the top part is silver instead of black, and has the Red Dot; the jpeg engine is claimed to be better (this is rather controversial, and immaterial if you shoot RAW); and the price was and usually still is some US$ 2K higher than the L1 (this part is NOT controversial ).

The person I bought tht L1 from, blacked out the Lumix label and added the Red Dot. I like his sense of humor - to me that L1 looks more like a Leica rangefinder than the Digilux 3 does (but don't tell any Leicaphiles that - they would definitely have a cow).

Welcome to the L1/Digilux3 cult.

Ted

Comment

Hi Angelo, if you leave the post up we can help you edit your post so you can get the pictures to show up in your thread.

Comment

I can't get to post a picture on this forum........... Its easy to do on The DP forum........

Comment

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/...9db9880b7e.jpg

This is my DMC L1 with an old 14-42 on it, sold the lens on e-bay and have the 25mm pancake on it most of the time.........

Comment

Hi Angelo, I think FLickr and here are not working very well together!

Angelos DMC-L1

Using the way they are linking to pictures doesn't work!

I just open up the picture size I want then right click on the picture then use [ img ] insert url here [/ img ]

Without the spaces and it works fine here!

Comment

Is it just me, or has this camera really taken on a cult following? It reminds me of my Saab, and Saab owners in particular. Solidly built, not much to look at, but man, you just love it to death. Even without the Leica lens (which is first rate) I can't imagine not getting another one of these, in spite of it's quirkiness.

Comment

Yes, it really does have a cult following. And fortunately is way less costly to maintain than the Saabs my wife has owned.

Ted

Comment

Amen to that, brother. A kick to drive though, both the camera and the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbryant View Post
                    Is it just me, or has this camera really taken on a cult following? It reminds me of my Saab, and Saab owners in particular. Solidly built, not much to look at, but man, you just love it to death. Even without the Leica lens (which is first rate) I can't imagine not getting another one of these, in spite of it's quirkiness.
                    I think if you are an older person like me, you remember using a rangefinder camera back in the late 50's. But their is something about this camera that draws you to it. Best of all it takes great pictures.

Comment

Since I'm in a contrary mood today I have both an L1 and an E330. I love the looks of the L1 and the way it handles, but I have to say the odd-duck looking 330 is a better camera.Which seems strange even to me as I like the newer Panasonics over their rough Olympus equivalents. Just an opinion.
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy View Post
                        Since I'm in a contrary mood today I have both an L1 and an E330. I love the looks of the L1 and the way it handles, but I have to say the odd-duck looking 330 is a better camera.Which seems strange even to me as I like the newer Panasonics over their rough Olympus equivalents. Just an opinion.
                        ooooHHH CONTROVERSIAL! the 330 had better live view IIRC, the 300 was more like the L1.

Comment

There you go .. even an opinion can be wrong
                          (maybe you are right thought).

So glad the L-1 has focus confirm what gave me a sensible feature to choose for the L-1. But it is the "dynamic" B/W ISO 400 JPGs keep me coming back to the L-1 there usually so good.

But I would certainly not mind to have a E-330 added to the collection.

Martin

Comment

You right about the E-330 it is a great camera, sold mine plus two lens,
                            also sold my E-510 with one lens so that i was able to pay for the E-30.

Comment

The main thing I like about the L1 is as Kuifje states, we've no need of focus confirm daisies to try and get some idea of focus when using legacy lenses. I use Leica R lenses, Nikon lenses and of course my Olympus OM lenses, it makes it a great camera for this use.

Comment

Originally posted by pepper View Post
                                The main thing I like about the L1 is as Kuifje states, we've no need of focus confirm daisies to try and get some idea of focus when using legacy lenses. I use Leica R lenses, Nikon lenses and of course my Olympus OM lenses, it makes it a great camera for this use.
                                I don't have any old ones.I am set for now with the 50mm oly,30 1.4 Sigma,70-300 oly, 25mm pancake, 14-54 ll oly,40-150 Oly and the 14 1.4 ext.........Would love to have the 50-200, i am all tapped out for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X