Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And I know there are several L1 users looking in...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And I know there are several L1 users looking in...

Let's revive this old thread!

Why I love the L1:

1) Leica Lenses
    2) Retro controls
    3) Bounce flash
    4) Build quality
    5) Rangefinder style viewfinder

Knowing that I should improve as a photographer first instead of upgrading my gear, if an L2 with these retro features is released, I would be all up-ons that!

Here's how it goes when people see my rig:

Friend - "Is that digital?"

Me - "Yup." [I remove the lens cap]

Friend - "Wow, that's a Leica!"

Me - "It's a Panasonic, with a Leica lens. I can also use Olympus and Sigma Lenses."

Friend - "Thats, cool. Im thinking of getting a [insert entry level Nikon/Canon]!"

Me -*internal sigh* "Cool."
    Olympus EM-5 & Voigtlander Bessa R
    Zuiko 14-42R f3.5-5.6 • 15mm f8 • 17 f1.8 • 45 f1.8 • 40-150 f4-5.6
    Leica 25 f1.4
    Rokinon 7.5 f3.5
    Other Stuff: Industar 28 f2.8 • Voigtlander 35 f2.5 • Industar 50 f3.5 • Jupiter 50 f2
    Hexanon 50 f1.7 • Hexanon 55 f3.5 • Hexanon 135 f3.2 • Hexanon 200 f4 • FL-36R

Comment

Any pictures to share from this winderfull kit

Love the L1 as well. A quiter shuter maybe for the L-2

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by zts View Post
        To be honest I just wanted the lens from the L1. And right now if you are looking for a brand new L1 you can pretty much get it for the price of the lens.

However, once I got the camera ... oh, my, the retro body styling, the feel of a classic film camera, the offset viewfinder was just too much not to use it. My take on the L1 is that in experienced hands this camera in combination with the included Leica lens is capable of anything from average to superb IQ. In inexperienced hands that expect some type of "auto" shooting and guesswork, pretty much everything will turn into crap big time -- this is an excellent camera for a person who wants to learn to manually control everything. No forgiveness -- you set it wrong, your pic looks like crap; you set it right, and the full potential of this camera shows right away. Sure, there is a light metering bug that when "confused" by the scene will totaly blow highlights by overexposing ... but, is there such a thing as the perfect camera. You learn how to deal with all those annoyances. One extremely positive thing I need to mention is that the lens built-in stabilizer works extremely well and I've been able to pull some amazing handheld shot at very slow shutter speeds and only at the 100% RAW you can clearly see the need for a tripod in those situations.

I'm to a large extent disappointed that the new L10 abandoned the retro styling and to some extent bastardized the whole Leica-like experience. Even the Leica lens on the L10 is slower. Sure, I can use more MPs of the new L10, but than I'd rather use Olys.

Anyways, if the 7.5MP is not a limitation for peeps, I'd highly recommend this camera either to those who want to learn the "hard way" everything there is about controlling your DSLR, or to those who love to take their time when creating quality shots. The biggest obstacle before was this camera's price, and now you can get a brand new L1 for under US $800 if you check places like ebay frequently. And a few shots from the L1 I took recently:

the L1 is the only digitalη camera I own at the moment. and I don't feel the need of another DSLR. the L1 is just superb. you have to use it to known how good it is.

Comment

have always loved to own one but prices were high when it first came out; now i finally got a 2nd hand mint L1 + Leica lens.
          Loves:
          1- manual aperture setting on lens
          2- round speed dial
          3-RF like design
          4-simplicity of ergo overall
          5- all frequently changed parameters are there at the fingertip
          6-flash design (bounce and all)
          7-sturdy build (nice plastic grip)

could be improved:
          1- liveview (too noisy and slow, 1st gen)
          2-lens a bit too large and heavy compared to oly for that range (blame on OIS?)
          3- VF a bit small (we all know that) and protrudes too much
          4-balance: lens heavy, could be tiresome after long shoots
          5-porro prism prone to dust due to its orientation (W-E as opposed to N-S)

Not the best and most modern cam in all facets, but still a classic, one of a kind like the E1 I also own; would look past its idiosyncrasies and weaknesses and go after its character; prefer its looks and ergo to the me- too- cookie- look- alike DSLRs on the market today

Comment

Hi
            It's just the perfect DSLR. Those superb Leica optics combined with a digital body that feels and works like a hybrid version of my M6 and trusty old OM2. Designed and built by photographers for photographers what more could I want? Certainly have no desire to rush off out to buy the latest Canon 60 or 70D or whatever number they're up to now...

Comment

Dear Grifin, you are absolutely right.
              that's why, apart the digital photography that I make only with my L1, nowadays I am returning to analog photography with my beautiful Mamiyas C330 and RZ67 Pro II. the L1 is the only camera in the world with which you can have the same feeling you experience with the medium format Mamiyas.

Comment

Hi I have inherited my Fathers DMC-L1 and have passed on my own Olympus E-500 to my daughter.

I know the E-500 is a newer camera but the Leica lens is amazing and I've got a Zuiko 40-150mm to go with it.

There are several things I prefer on the Panasonic, the Live View is helpful, manual aperture is great and I just love the retro styling (as my Father did hence why he bought it).

He left me with over 125 camera bodies, including 7 Leicas, two original Pen F's and a Pen D.

He was an avid Olympus fan, I think he appreciated their lightness and inventiveness, I was comparing his OM1 with his Nikon F5 the other day and I'm of the same mind that the Olympus manages to do most of what the Nikon can do in less than half the size.

Comment

Originally posted by pepper View Post
                  Hi I have inherited my Fathers DMC-L1 and have passed on my own Olympus E-500 to my daughter.

I know the E-500 is a newer camera but the Leica lens is amazing and I've got a Zuiko 40-150mm to go with it.

There are several things I prefer on the Panasonic, the Live View is helpful, manual aperture is great and I just love the retro styling (as my Father did hence why he bought it).

He left me with over 125 camera bodies, including 7 Leicas, two original Pen F's and a Pen D.

He was an avid Olympus fan, I think he appreciated their lightness and inventiveness, I was comparing his OM1 with his Nikon F5 the other day and I'm of the same mind that the Olympus manages to do most of what the Nikon can do in less than half the size.
                  I'm sure your father would be pleased to know that you treasure his collection as much as he did. Enjoy using them, they are bound to bring back happy memories of your Dad.
                  View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Olympus and Leica, your father really knew quality equipment. I enjoy my L1, I also have the Leica Digilux 3 version and they compliment each other very well. Enjoy the equipment and of course the memories of your father!

Comment

Aside from the looks of the camera (definitely a scene stealer, and a conversation starter wherever i go),

The camera performs great, even though it is "laging edge technology, " i bought mine pre-owned, the seller bought it only for the panleica lens... so he sold me the body at a really great price. So i only have the L-1 Body and no PanLeica 14-50 lens. The top 3 lenses i use for the L1 are:
                      1. 25mm for ultra portability... it's such a joy to use, i bring this set up when i feel i would need a camera for snapshots, and not be bothered by a cumbersome setup...
                      2. 12-60mm for versatile shooting... and night photography(long exposures) Definitely a superb pair.
                      3. 30mm 1.4 for those artistic portraits, street photography.

here is my prtable set up:

if only the FL-14 came in black... this would be perfect. =)

This is a sample of a long exposure shot with the L-1+12-60, placed on the bench, no tripod...

EXIF Summary: 25s f/18.0 ISO100 12mm

Comment

yeah, it's still a great camera. i just wish i could update the sensor for the one on the gf1.
                        not that i'm bothered with mine but an improvement is always good and i wouldn't mind to pay some 300 or 400 euros for the upgrade.

btw, for a 25 seconds photo those two guys weren't moving much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                          I'm interested to know what aspect of the L1 drew you to owning one? Was it the tradition aperture ring and shutter speed dial? Leica lens quality? The rangefinder styling of the body? Have you upgraded from an LC-1?

Ian
                          I plead guilty to all of the above: the "retro" rangefinder styling, the ability to easily set the camera manually (i.e. apeture ring and shutter speed dial), and the lure of the Leica lens. I was lucky: I was able to purchase a wonderful L1 used at around a third of the retail price. (I also use a Digilux 2 and an LC1---both of which I love.)

Comment

Agreed. All of the above. And as to mp's an acquaintance bought a top end Canon a few years ago, for $5,000, new. It's sensor? 8mp. Big at the time. Average now. An L1 will make beautiful prints to 20X24. If you need something bigger, there's Genuine Fractals for $500.00. Cheaper than a new body. If neither of those will do, it's a freakish world you live in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbryant View Post
                              Agreed. All of the above. And as to mp's an acquaintance bought a top end Canon a few years ago, for $5,000, new. It's sensor? 8mp. Big at the time. Average now. An L1 will make beautiful prints to 20X24. If you need something bigger, there's Genuine Fractals for $500.00. Cheaper than a new body. If neither of those will do, it's a freakish world you live in.
                              Absolutely! How many cameras are resigned to the dustbin because they don't have ENOUGH pixels (means we can pick up a bargain though)? A lot of people associate number of pixels with quality, nothing could be further from the truth.
                              For the professionals trying to sell to agencies etc then I can understand, but for most amateur togs, it shouldn't be that much of an issue.
                              Unfortunately, there is the common assumption that you can BUY a good photograph, but that is what makes the commercial world go round.
                              I have an L1 body and won't part with it, in a lot of respects I find it easier and more intuitive to use than the E-3. I love my E-3 but will happily take the L1 if I want/need a smaller lighter pack to carry.
                              I have said this a number of times on these forums, a C**P photo is still a C**P photo whether the camera cost thousands or not, spending money doesn't remove the need for talent, it just makes one feel better
                              It is human nature to think the equipment is the limiting factor, rather than our own ability -- I think Confusious said that, or am I getting confused.....

Comment

And what;s up with the agency ting. You shoot stock with a 6 mp camera, then the agency only accepts images from 8mp equipment, then 10, then 12...what do they do with the old images, chuck 'em out because they're not good anymore?? You're dead on, Howi. MP's don't mean a thing, if your photo ain't got that swing.

Comment

Working...
                                X