Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And I know there are several L1 users looking in...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And I know there are several L1 users looking in...

And, having said that, you're going to have to post a picture of that se now. Pretty please? :-)

Comment

here is my street cred:
      Akiva S.

Pany L1, Pany LX-2

My website

Comment

For me, the deal maker was the glass. Coming from the LC-1, which I still enjoy using a lot, I saw the L1 as the next generation. (Although a next generation LC-1 MKII in the 2/3 sensor would have been my preferred choice.)
        Joseph

Comment

I have always wanted a Leica, but this gave me the opportunity to have the lens. The body styling reminds me of a rangefinder. The apperture ring was nostalgic. But it went for less than $1000 at my local Circuit City, so I jumped on it. Over the last two months, I have totally fallen in love with it; the way it handles, the image quality, everything.

Comment

Is that a nikon lens Does it work? What disadvantages?

REALLY curious (I have an old Vivitar Series 1 70 -210 f3.5). Now the wheels are turning...

Comment

I bought my L1 to compliment my Leica Digilux 3. I like having two bodies with the same controls.

Comment

what do you have for lenses, other than the 14 -50?

Comment

Originally posted by Beaker View Post
                  what do you have for lenses, other than the 14 -50?
                  Zuiko 7-14mm f/4, Leica/Lumix Summilux 25mm f1.4, Zuiko 35mm f/3.5, Zuiko 40-150 f/3.5-4.5.

Comment

I bought the L1 a week after it was in retail locations. The Leica lens definitely was a factor in me buying it, but I bought it because I wanted to learn the hard way to take great pictures and truly understand a camera and all its functions. Lots of people these days just use green mode, well, alot of my classmates use green mode on their DSLRs so I've already surpassed most of them in camera skills. And that's my story...
                    -JQ-

Comment

All of those reasons. No, I did not upgrade. This was my first DSLR. Leica's involvement making the lens was the first reason; Second, my longstanding appreciation for the Matsushita Corp., and its excellent products: I had faith that this would be the camera for me, and indeed, it has in every respect been that. I truly love my L1. I've done so many jobs using it that I have made its original purchase investment back, and some more.
                      Rodders

Comment

Excellent choice, it is a very underestimated camera, possibly because of its initial high price. I too like it's uncompromising approach i.e no scene modes etc. It (to me) has a very logical layout. Now that it is available for considerably less cost ( I got a brand new Body for 230) it is a real bargain.
                        7.5 mp is more than enough resolution unless you are a professional photographer or a pixel perv. but hey! shush! keep it quiet - everyone will want one!!

Comment

hi!
                          I'm also a L1 owner, and very proud of it - it's perhaps the best DSLR in the world (apart the pro cameras like the Canon 1Ds, the Mamiya ZD 22 or the Hasselblad). The standard zoom Vario-Elmarit 14-50 is perfect, with minimal distortion even at 14 mm, and I can see no vigneting when i open it at f2.8 - for this aperture, we can already control the deep of field, but I'm considering in buying the Summilux d 25 f1.4.

Handling a L1 is quite magical - it really feels like the old manual cameras - and the image quality is superb - more pixels does not mean better image quality, 7.5Mp is enough.

if I could, would I buy another camera? yes, if it was the Leica M8 (with lens it costs about 6000!!). I would never switch my L1 for any Nikon or Canon or Oly.

Best regards.
                          P

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                            I'm interested to know what aspect of the L1 drew you to owning one? Was it the tradition aperture ring and shutter speed dial? Leica lens quality? The rangefinder styling of the body? Have you upgraded from an LC-1?

Ian
                            To be honest I just wanted the lens from the L1. And right now if you are looking for a brand new L1 you can pretty much get it for the price of the lens.

However, once I got the camera ... oh, my, the retro body styling, the feel of a classic film camera, the offset viewfinder was just too much not to use it. My take on the L1 is that in experienced hands this camera in combination with the included Leica lens is capable of anything from average to superb IQ. In inexperienced hands that expect some type of "auto" shooting and guesswork, pretty much everything will turn into crap big time -- this is an excellent camera for a person who wants to learn to manually control everything. No forgiveness -- you set it wrong, your pic looks like crap; you set it right, and the full potential of this camera shows right away. Sure, there is a light metering bug that when "confused" by the scene will totaly blow highlights by overexposing ... but, is there such a thing as the perfect camera. You learn how to deal with all those annoyances. One extremely positive thing I need to mention is that the lens built-in stabilizer works extremely well and I've been able to pull some amazing handheld shot at very slow shutter speeds and only at the 100% RAW you can clearly see the need for a tripod in those situations.

I'm to a large extent disappointed that the new L10 abandoned the retro styling and to some extent bastardized the whole Leica-like experience. Even the Leica lens on the L10 is slower. Sure, I can use more MPs of the new L10, but than I'd rather use Olys.

Anyways, if the 7.5MP is not a limitation for peeps, I'd highly recommend this camera either to those who want to learn the "hard way" everything there is about controlling your DSLR, or to those who love to take their time when creating quality shots. The biggest obstacle before was this camera's price, and now you can get a brand new L1 for under US $800 if you check places like ebay frequently. And a few shots from the L1 I took recently:

Comment

I just bought one last week and Ithink the retro body, aperture ring and shutter speed dial attract me. And the awesome AWB and higher dynamic range compare to E-system are also the highlights.

Comment

And one more .. got one from local flea bay

The lens will be a great substitute for the 14-45 lens on the E-1 (now brighter and OIS together!) Further the L1 starts to attract its own group of enthusiast. Some rave about the colours being the closest to E-1 colour and others just seem to be a perfect fit for this - to me stil - slightly odd shaped camera.

And a second body will have me swapping lenses less out in the open during an annual sailing regatta I have become the (amature) staff photographer fo since a couple of years.

Not saving up for a mFt or an AE-1 or more lenses ? .. well the L1 is truly high value now especially considering the quality of the kit lens. Now seems excellent time to experience it myself!

Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X