Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the L1 perform compared to todays SLRs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the L1 perform compared to todays SLRs?

As above really.

I have no intention of upgrading/changing cameras.

Will it still keep up with the entry level SLR cameras from the likes of Cannon etc?.

I plan on learning the camera inside out then having a play with other cameras.

Re: How does the L1 perform compared to todays SLRs?

Hi

Read the review of the Panasonic L1 in 'What Digital Camera'. It hopefully will give you some insight into how it performs and its systems.
    They seem to like it apart from some noise above ISO 400.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for your reply but I know how it performed 5 years ago compared to the cameras at the time. My question is how does it compare against today's cameras?.

Comment

The L1 will perform today, just the same as it did when it first came out.
        Sensors have moved on somewhat, as have extra facilities such as touch screen, fold out screen etc.
        I still have and regularly use my L1, most would find it almost impossible to tell which camera I was using from looking at the prints.
        It may not have all the bells and whistles of more up to date offerings, but it is still a delight to use and, provided you watch the highlights and the noise above 400, will still produce acceptable photos (for me at any rate).

Comment

It was so good, that Fuji used it's design and made some lousy new X-PRO1 or how they call it. L-1 introduces more direct control buttons, switches and bitz, so it should be more fun to use.
          And that is all that matters, unless you are selling huge prints of your photos.
          Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
          M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Very interesting. I won't ever be printing big prints so all be good.

Comment

As you know I'm an L1 user, I also have an E3 and an EP3, I don't mind using either of the big 4/3 cameras, but tend to use the E3 more due to the weather proofing. I actually prefer the info being on the right compared to underneath of the E3 and find using the controls very intuitive! As for images, I've done well in Salons and photo fairs all over the place with my L1 and if it weren't for the pesky Exif data, no one would know which camera I was using. I've printed A1 prints (only twice) from my L1 and the prints were exactly as I wanted them, If I had to get only have one digital camera it would be the L1 and the amazing 14-50 lens!

Comment

As others have said, newer cameras have the ability to capture images at higher ISOs without the noise older cameras like the L1 produce. That's not an issue if you're shooting outdoors or indoors with a flash.

One of my more critical tasks is to shoot religious ceremonies, indoor available light without flash. For this I use an E5 and SHG glass. But for outdoors, especially if I don't have a Sherpa handy to lug around the SHG gear, I use my L1 with either the 14-50 or 14-150 (a truely remarkable lens).

Ted

Comment

One thing to remember is that RAW image processing has improved a lot since 2006, so noise management and detail retention is noticeably better than it was back then.

I have said it before - but as RAW processing improves, old RAW images and cameras with RAW capability improve with age!

Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    One thing to remember is that RAW image processing has improved a lot since 2006, so noise management and detail retention is noticeably better than it was back then.

I have said it before - but as RAW processing improves, old RAW images and cameras with RAW capability improve with age!

Ian
                    Indeed they do and impressively so.
                    Regards Paul.
                    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/

Comment

BE79n, you may be interested in a couple of information items regarding the system you've bought into.

1. Eyecup magnifier

Leica wanted the L1/Digilux3 to look like a classic Leica rangefinder, which it does (and which is one of the things we L1 users really like about it). One result (without going into the reasons why) was that the OVF is somewhat smaller and darker than it is in many of the other 4/3 cameras. When Panny released the L10, they included a second eyecup that is a magnifying eyecup. It is Panasonic part number VYC0973 and while getting scarce, is still available (at least in the US), for around $35. It does make the L1 viewfinder image larger at the expense of you needing to move your eye to the left to be able to see the exposure info along the right edge of the viewfinder. You get used to this quickly and many of us L1 users really like using the Panny magnifying eyecup. The Olympus magnifying eyecup will fit on the L1 but while it isn't any less expensive it's not as good optically, including having less eye relief which is an issue if you wear eyeglasses. I actually use a Panny on one of my older Oly cameras (the E-500).

2. Lenses

Leica designed four lenses for the L1/L10 system. You already have the Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5. That kit lens made the L1 an expensive item and when Panny released the L10 they included a slower but less expensive 14-50 f/3.85.6 kit lens. It was never a very popular lens because the f/2.8-3.5 version was simply a better lens.

The other two Leica-designed 4/3 lenses have achieved classic/cult status in the 4/3 world - rare, expensive, and magnificent optics. The more well known of the two is the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 - the only prime (non-zoom) and non-OIS lens of the four. It has been the fastest lens available in a 4/3 mount for years. Sigma released a couple of very fast 4/3 primes but they needed to be stopped down to reach the sharpness that the Leica has wide open. Many folks who have never seen an L1 own and use this lens on Oly 4/3 cameras. The last of the four is the Vario-Elmar Aspherical 14-150mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Not many were made and they rarely if ever show up in the used lens market, because those of us who have one would never sell it. From time to time on 4/3 camera forums someone posts the question, "If you could only take one lens on a trip which one would it be?" We Vario-Elmar owners just chuckle.

Ted

Edit: One other thing. The L1 does one thing no other 4/3 camera does - focus confirmation with a manual focus lens. The L1 has a back-focus distance long enough to be able to focus almost any legacy lens to infinity (except Canon FD lenses) and you can get a 4/3 adapter to mount almost any brand of lens on it. When you do that the lens is manual iris and manual focus, but the L1 will give you a focus confirmation. To do that with any other 4/3 camera requires a special, so-called "dandelion" adapter.

Comment

The design of the L1 with its off-set viewfinder was completely dictated by the camera under the Panasonic skin, which was a customised Olympus E-330. This used an arrangement of mirrors, including a sideways reflex mirror instead of a conventional vertical reflex mirror and pentamirror or pentaprism. The size and brightness of the viewfinder view is also because of this. With a frame area a quarter that of a 35mm film SLR the size of the viewfinder view was pretty much as large as it could be without some added trickery (which we did see in some later cameras, like a tilted focus screen and pentaprism in the E-3, for example). The viewfinder brightness was also compromised by a semi-silvered mirror in the viewfinder.

Ian
                        Founder/editor
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Even more intetesting. I have fallen in love with the camera and lens and even got my girlfriend a camera to keep her happy while i'm snapping away.

Comment

Originally posted by Be79n View Post
                            Even more intetesting. I have fallen in love with the camera and lens and even got my girlfriend a camera to keep her happy while i'm snapping away.
                            Thanks for the update, it's great to hear that you are getting on so well with the camera.
                            View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

If you could help on my other thread it would be amazing. On a real budget and would love to try and photo the moon with a zoom lens.

Comment

Working...
                              X