Follow Focus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow Focus

OK, this may be a dumb question. In my looking around the web for a field monitor (see previous post) I have seen a lot of DSLR rigs. One thing that strikes me with all of these is that the follow focus is always in a fixed position. How do you use one if you are using the 14-140 lens for instance, and you want to reframe a shot by zooming? Do you have to resetup the rig? Is follow focus only a benefit with a fixed focal length lens?

Re: Follow Focus

Hi Colin and welcome. Is this in stills mode or video?
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Perriment View Post
      Hi Colin and welcome. Is this in stills mode or video?
      I was thinking you would only really use one in video mode, but as you can take stills and video at the same time I suppose it doesn't matter. My original thought was that you obviously couldn't zoom during a video take as the gears would no longer be aligned. But after thinking about it, the lens barrel moves separate to the focus ring, so there shouldn't be a problem. As I said originally it may be a dumb question. I guess it was. Obviously it WOULD be an issue on an old legacy push/pull zoom, but my original thought was with the 14-140.

Thanks for the welcome

Comment

Originally posted by TheCameraLens View Post
        I was thinking you would only really use one in video mode, but as you can take stills and video at the same time I suppose it doesn't matter. My original thought was that you obviously couldn't zoom during a video take as the gears would no longer be aligned. But after thinking about it, the lens barrel moves separate to the focus ring, so there shouldn't be a problem. As I said originally it may be a dumb question. I guess it was. Obviously it WOULD be an issue on an old legacy push/pull zoom, but my original thought was with the 14-140.

Thanks for the welcome
        It's certainly not a dumb question, Colin, but I'll freely admit to being out of my depth with video as I never use it!
        View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Hi, I don't think follow focus rigs are meant for zoom lenses. Or auto focus zooms like the 14-140mm. More for manual focus prime lenses.
          Cheers, Rob

Comment

Originally posted by RobertD View Post
            Hi, I don't think follow focus rigs are meant for zoom lenses. Or auto focus zooms like the 14-140mm. More for manual focus prime lenses.
            Cheers, Rob
            Yeah, that makes the most sense for sure. I was just curious about them as they seem to be everywhere at the moment.

Comment

Working...
            X