Using G2 to take photos of motorsports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Using G2 to take photos of motorsports

I'm new to the world of micro four thirds and am looking for some advice! I've recently bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 and have had fun playing around with it.

As well as the standard 14-45mm lens it came with, I've also bought the 45-200mm lens, mainly because my boyfriend often does motorbike track days and I want to get some good shots of him on his bike!

I've read lots of information online about taking pictures of motorsports, but have been left a bit confused with some of the advice.

Can anyone give me some advice on the manual settings I'm going to need to take good shots of fast moving bikes? Shutter speed, aperture, focus etc.

Any help much appreciated

Re: Using G2 to take photos of motorsports

Hello,

I recently went out to a Motorbike event and perhaps I can share some of what I learned.

For me, 1/320 seemed to be the best shutter speed (you could use manual, but shutter priority would probably be better). This allowed me to keep some movement in the photographs (it looks unnatural if the photo is taken with too high a shutter speed as the wheels appear stationary). If I dropped the shutter speed much slower than this and I was having some difficulties keeping the bike steady in the frame while panning and that gave me terribly blurred photos.

Next time I will be sure to try a monopod

I left autofocus on which worked fairly well for me, but next time, I think I will use manual focus.

Nothing I took on the day ended up razor sharp, but here's how one of the pictures finished up after some cropping and a little sharpening:

Regards,

Keith

flickr

Comment

Thanks very much for your advice Keith, I'll definitely try that on Saturday!

Comment

I generally prefocus on a specific point on the track and switch autofocus off on my Panasonic G1. Pan on the vehicle and shoot when it reaches the chosen spot. Keep panning after you have pressed the shutter to ensure a smooth movement.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_j View Post
          I generally prefocus on a specific point on the track and switch autofocus off on my Panasonic G1. Pan on the vehicle and shoot when it reaches the chosen spot. Keep panning after you have pressed the shutter to ensure a smooth movement.
          If you can keep the shutter speed at around 1/320-1/500 and the aperture above f6.3 you should be ok with this, plus if you keep the drive lever in continuous and let rip when you get to your chosen spot, you will stand a good chance of a keeper.

Practice your panning beforehand too, it's not easy.
          Bodies:
          Panny GH1 + OM2-SP + Pentax ME & LX
          Lenses:
          Lumix G 14-45mm, OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8, OM Zuiko 24mm f2.8, OM Vivitar 135mm f2.8, SMC-M 40mm f2.8, SMC-M 50mm f1.7, PKA Vivitar 19mm F3.8, Konica AR 40mm f1.8, MD Rokkor 45mm F2, Teleplus 2x Macro converter OM+MD

My New Blog:
          Dark & Industrial Photography & my Flickr

Comment

Working...
          X