Current thoughts about the G-1 (1/09)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current thoughts about the G-1 (1/09)

So far all I have is the G-1 and the 14-45. The 4/3 adapter and the 45-200 should be here later this week. The adapter is mainly for the 2 ZD macros. That's my intent; who knows what will really happen.

The camera grows on me. I know it is the size of a 410 and a few grams heavier, but it seems smaller. The ample grip really helps. I find the IQ great, but then I never shoot higher than ISO 400. Tried 800 once and could see the difference so I dialed back to 400. The color rendition is by far the best of any digital camera I own. The others are no slouches, but the G-1 is in a class by itself. The controls are an ergonomic joy to me, although there certainly was a learning curve. I'd love in-body IS but so far both zooms will have lens IS and the macros don't gain from IS, at least for me.

The twisty LCD is a must. I can and do take shots with the lens pointed up while looking straight down into the LCD. My miserable eyes find the EVF better than the 330-510-L1 OVF's. And auto turn on EVF/turn off LCD is something every camera will soon have.

With a fast prime, this camera has a decent chance of replacing the LX-3 that is my backup/go-everywhere camera. If the adapter works out as I hope, this will be my number one camera. It's NOT an E-3 but I'll never have an E-3 or probably an E-30. It's probably not a basic camera for you, Mr. Bear Hands who takes scads of low-light pictures.

I know I was hesitant before the camera was released, but I got a good enough offer to say, what the hey. I'm glad I did. Now we'll see what Olympus doe.

Happy 2009.

Steve
    Steve

Re: Current thoughts about the G-1 (1/09)

Thanks Steve

I didn't think it was one for me as I find the E510 a bit of a squeeze for me ! Mrs Bear is interested and her requirements are for more of a more portable walkaround that is an upgrade in IQ from a compact and that will grow into a 'system' camera as her experience and interest increase. I think it might fit the bill.

Comment

Steve,

do you know what standard fourthirds lenses will autofocus on the G1? There seems to be a lot of misinformation around about this.

Tony
      http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TonyB View Post
        Steve,

do you know what standard fourthirds lenses will autofocus on the G1? There seems to be a lot of misinformation around about this.

Tony
        Go here http://avc-cs.panasonic.co.jp/faq/10...01005&PROD=001 and click on G1. It brings up a menu of questions and click on "teach me compatible lenses"

John

Comment

John, thanks for that.

Tony
          http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks also, John

It's quite a useful page. Some of it seems a bit odd. For example, my unupadted PanLeica 25 worked fine in MF )(and was incredibly easy to focus), and works fine across the board as hinted way down on the page once it's updated. Couple of other details seemed off, but as a whole a page worth keeping very handy.

Steve
            Steve

Comment

Steve, i also find the EVF a godsend for poor eyesight, an OVF based cam is just not on the cards for me.

Mark.

Comment

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Barr1e

The link you posted seems to present a pretty good review. Possibly the best ever for a 4/3rds camera from that particular site !

Comment

I've been really considering the G1 lately as a companion to my E-510. However I really want to know if there will be any improvements made to the G1HD that's suppose to come out later.

I don't really have a video camcorder of my own, however I don't think I really need one. But that fact, is one of the things that are keeping me from buying a G1. Do we have any info as to how much the difference in price between the G1 and the G1HD? I hope it's not too much.

But anyway, thanks for the info. In addition to your impression of the camera, the G1 seems to be very well recieved so if my companies "restructuring" plans subsides and I survive the layoffs...then I'll definitely get one myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post

Thanks for the link. I just skimmed it and found little to disagree with. They really had to stretch to find that many cons

It is a delightful camera.

Steve
                      Steve

Comment

I only scanned through the review and plan to read it later when I have time, but surprisingly good remarks from dpreview. Is this the same sensor as the E-30? Will Panny take over the sensor mfg for future Oly models?
                        Oly EM-5 | Oly E-30 | Oly E-1 | FL-36 | mZD 9-18mm | PL 25mm f/1.4 | ZD 12-60mm SWD | ZD 50-200mm SWD | ZD 50mm f/2 | Gallery

Comment

I was under the possibly mistaken belief that since the ? 500? 510? Panasonic has made al the 4/3 sensors. Kodak used to meke a well regarded one, but no more.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy View Post
                            I was under the possibly mistaken belief that since the ? 500? 510? Panasonic has made al the 4/3 sensors. Kodak used to meke a well regarded one, but no more.
                            yes, panny manufactures them already
                            ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Comment

I will say that I suspect they are correct in saying that the L10 will probably be Panny's last digital SLR.
                              ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Comment

Working...
                              X