Olympus FL-36 Flash on Panasonic DMC's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Olympus FL-36 Flash on Panasonic DMC's

Ok, so I have a Panasonic G2. I love it. I used a Nikon D300 and some expensive lenses while completing an art degree but I just can't get over the sharpness of the Pana with the kit lenses -Anyhow...

I need a Flash solution. I was going to grab a Nissin 466 (FT) - cheap and cheerful. But I have seen the Olympus FL-36(/r) and I read it can be used on the Panasonic Micro four thirds cameras.

Is anyone out there using a Panasonic camera with an Olympus Flash? How are the results and functionality? Any other low priced (but significantly better than built-in flash) flash guns for the Pana's that are worth looking at?

The Nissin has a faster refresh due to four AA batteries, but lacks a twist - the head of the Olympus moves up/down and twists around. The Olympus also has an AI assist (red laser thingy) or so I believe... does this work on the Panas as it does on the Olympus E series?

Re: Olympus FL-36 Flash on Panasonic DMC's

All the Olympus 4/3 intended Flashes work the same n Panasonic bodies and vice versa. There are also Metz dedicated flashes too which are quite well liked and a fair bit cheaper.

Does the G2 not have the in body AF assist lamp? My GH1 does, in the corner above the lens release button. (pop the lens cap on and try and try and focus on something, it should illuminate)

I use a Yongnuo YN560 all manual gun on mine - it's pretty much all singing all dancing, but does require everything to be set manually, it's also ridiculously large on the GH1!

Bodies:
    Panny GH1 + OM2-SP + Pentax ME & LX
    Lenses:
    Lumix G 14-45mm, OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8, OM Zuiko 24mm f2.8, OM Vivitar 135mm f2.8, SMC-M 40mm f2.8, SMC-M 50mm f1.7, PKA Vivitar 19mm F3.8, Konica AR 40mm f1.8, MD Rokkor 45mm F2, Teleplus 2x Macro converter OM+MD

My New Blog:
    Dark & Industrial Photography & my Flickr

Comment

I have this combination, but to be honest, as I nominally hate flash, I have only used it in fully-auto mode, which it copes with admirably. But of course the infra remote doesn't work so you could save money by not buying the "R" version.
      Stephen - www.flickr.com/photos/argyllphotos
      Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, Zenza Bronica, and an ever-changing nest of lenses

Comment

I have an E-P2 and a GF1. The Olympus FL-36r definitely works on the Panasonic camera, but one weird thing is that removing it from the hot shoe is difficult enough to worry me that I'm going to break the flash shoe.

I now use a Panasonic flash on the GF-1 instead of the Olympus flash. I'd suggest you try to test a flash on your camera before buying it to make sure you don't have a similar experience.

Comment

Hi Alan. Cheers for the response. Yep the G2 works like the GH1 with the AF illuminated assist. I was hoping this would transfer over to the the flash guns AF assist light - well if it's going to improve AF speed and accuracy at all. I saw some Metz but they were considerably more expensive - full size flash guns and high compatibility.

Comment

Cheers Dan. Do you recall the AF assist being used on the Olympus flash when attached to the Pana?

Comment

I use a FL-36 flash with my Panasonic DMC-L1, it works like normal and yes the AF assist works fine with the Panasonic.

Comment

Awesome thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X