X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doane2u
    replied
    Re: The Lumix G Vario 14-42mm lens?

Jimbo, thanks, no, the seller was back ordered on them so I ordered a slightly used 14-45 G Vario and it works great.. very smooth and feels to be much better quality. I used the camera for a about a week and the image quality is definitely better than my smaller sensor based Lumix FZ47. To be honest, I don't like the feel of the GF1 that much as the lens still feels too bulky and I don't want to spend the money for the pancake lenses in order to make the camera more compact.
    I ended up selling that lens and am in the process of selling the camera body with all the original items, the box, a custom strap, etc. It's on Amazon.

Am also selling my FZ47 with all of the original items, it's in perfect condition. I came to the conclusion that I really just don't need that long a zoom and it too felt a bit bulky.

I ended up getting the very compact Lumix LX7 and am really happy with it.

Thanks everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Jimbo
    replied

Just got back onto these forums, did you get a replacement lens and was the replacement better.

Can you update

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• doane2u
    replied

OK, thanks Ian, good luck on that

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Yes - sorry about the search problem. We need to install a new version of the search engine code after updating PHP on our server. Please bear with us!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• doane2u
    replied

Thanks everyone and glad to hear that. I was afraid that by trying to save a few bucks I was getting a really poorly designed lens. Will look forward to the replacement.

BTW, every time I try to do a search, for example, "14-42 G Vario", it goes to a new window with this message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@fourthirds-user.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.17 Server at fourthirds-user.com Port 80

Leave a comment:

• John Perriment
    replied

I can't speak for the 14-42mm but I have the older 14-45mm which should be pretty similar and it operates smoothly with great image quality for the price. I think you have been unlucky and will be pleasantly surprised when your faulty lens is replaced.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Hi and welcome to FTU. Sadly your posts' subject is not very exciting (sorry about that!) - BUT that shouldn't mean you shouldn't get any useful response and the very least I can do is assure you that there should be no roughness in the zooming action. Clearly your sample is not right and your supplier has done the right thing in offering to replace it. In fact Panasonic tries hard to make the zoom action on its lenses to be smooth and progressive in order to aid video recording where zoom action needs to be smooth.

There is now a Mark II 14-42mm, although that is relatively new.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• doane2u
    replied

The dealer for the lens on Amazon quite graciously said he will exchange it and even cover the return shipping cost. I hope this was just a bad lens. Will let everyone know what happens (if anyone is actually here)

This forum really doesn't seem to get very much action.. I guess because I don't have the latest gear (Lumix GF1), but the this lens is a current kit lens from my understanding, right? :\

Leave a comment:

• doane2u
    replied

I have tried to do searches for this like, lumix 14-42 and I always get a server error, hence the post.

Leave a comment:

• doane2u
    started a topic The Lumix G Vario 14-42mm lens?

The Lumix G Vario 14-42mm lens?

I got a great deal on an GF1 body and have been playing around with it waiting for the lens.
    I just got my 14-42mm G Vario Mega OIS zoom lens and tried it out and either it is a piece of garbage or something is wrong with it. It seems clear enough optically, but the manual zoom function feels like a toy camera. When I zoom it feels rough, like it is binding at different spots so it is impossible to zoom smoothly.. it just feels cheap. Maybe I was expecting too much for $115?
Working...
X