Lumix G5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Lumix G5

New chap on the block here so if I am in the wrong forum, please let me know. I am just about to purchase a G5 having sold most of my Olympus lens. I would like to know whether the remainder could be used with the G5 also, which flash gun would be the best for the camera please.

I hung on to my Oly E30 as no one seems to want them any more. At the age of 80 I am looking for something a little lighter to handle and have read excellent reviews about the G5.

As a keen bird and wildlife photographer, what would be the best long lens to purchase in the Panasonic range, I still have my Zuiko 70-300 but am not sure whether it will work with the G5.

If anyone can offer some advice I will be very grateful.

RonBin

Re: Lumix G5

Hi Ron,

Welcome to FTU

Your E-System lenses can be used with Micro Four Thirds cameras like your G5 but you will need an adapter. Panasonic's is the DMW-MA1 and for Olympus you have the choice of an MMF-2 or MMF-3 (dust and moisture sealed). The adapter provides electronic pass-through connections and means metering and aperture control are completely normal, as is manual focusing. Autofocus is supported but because of the different way focusing is achieved on Micro Four Thirds cameras, depending on which lens you use on your G5 you may find AF slower and less reliable with a Four Thirds E-System DSLR lens. Another point is that the adapters described earlier aren't cheap - starting at around £125, but at least you will only need one.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Binmore View Post
      New chap on the block here so if I am in the wrong forum, please let me know. I am just about to purchase a G5 having sold most of my Olympus lens. I would like to know whether the remainder could be used with the G5 also, which flash gun would be the best for the camera please.

I hung on to my Oly E30 as no one seems to want them any more. At the age of 80 I am looking for something a little lighter to handle and have read excellent reviews about the G5.

As a keen bird and wildlife photographer, what would be the best long lens to purchase in the Panasonic range, I still have my Zuiko 70-300 but am not sure whether it will work with the G5.

If anyone can offer some advice I will be very grateful.

RonBin

I use a 100-300 Panasonic (200-600 full frame equivalent) a very good lens used with care.
      I find it performes best with AF single point focus set at its smallest area, this gives the very best results. Using face detection it gives poor results but then a long lens isn't designed for that kind of use.
      Personally not being a fan of using adapters from one system to another I would go for Panasonic optics, the G5 can be bought with a 14-140 lens as a kit (28-280 equivalent) which is reasonably long at the 140 end. It's also a very good versatile lens, I have one of these that effectively lives on my Lumix GH3.

One thing to remember Olympus lenses are not stabilised they put it in the camera, Panasonic put their stabilisation on the lenses not in the camera, each method I am told has its own advantages.

Patrick

Comment

Thanks Patric, I intend to purchase the G5 with the 14-140(?) power lens if that's possible once I have sold the Oly lens I have on E-Bay for sale at the moment. Which flash gun would you suggest for the camera please? I had an FL36R oly but have sold that so I need a replacement. As for a long lens, which one would you recommend, the 100-300mm?

Sorry Ireland lost this afternoon, it was a good match though...

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Binmore View Post
          Thanks Patric, I intend to purchase the G5 with the 14-140(?) power lens if that's possible once I have sold the Oly lens I have on E-Bay for sale at the moment. Which flash gun would you suggest for the camera please? I had an FL36R oly but have sold that so I need a replacement. As for a long lens, which one would you recommend, the 100-300mm?

Sorry Ireland lost this afternoon, it was a good match though...

Ron
          Hi
          I may have an Irish name but was born in Manchester and brought up in Oldham Lancashire, with only a brief time until I was four in Dublin. I now live in the Midlands a few miles from Birmingham, I was delighted England won.
          Also delighted Manchester United won, 12 points clear now.

Back to cameras there are only three long lenses to date in the Panasonic range with a 150 f2.8 prime coming at the end of year or early next, a 45-175 (90-350), 45-200 (90-400) and the 100-300 (200-600) I only have experience of the 100-300 and am very satisfied with it, as I said in my first post used with care. All long lenses have to be used correctly to get best results, there is little or no leeway.
          I shall be very interested in the 150 f2.8 when its available, coupled with a 1x4 or 2x converter it should be a very good wild life lens.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
          X