Too colourful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too colourful

I went round a lovely garden, open to the public in bright sunshine and blue sky's with my Panny G-3/14-45 and set on 'Scenery' mode a week ago. I used 'P' and 'A' for most shots.

I used Jpeg best quality, the results were super BUT, the colours were far to vibrant and garish, almost too technicolour for my liking. I tried the 'Vibrant' mode for a couple of shots and the colours were even more exagerated. The exposure seemed to be spot on.
    I know some people may like this, but its too unreal for me.

In one recent review on the G-3, they recommended for landscape work in scenery mode to turn down the contrast by -1 and the saturation by -1, sharpness by -1 and noise reduction by -1 or -2, or use 'standard' mode which I have not had a chance to try yet.
    Any body had similar results and any advice?

Pete

Re: Too colourful

I don't use Jpeg - ever. But I have a film setting on my camera to give an impression through the viewfinder even when shooting raw. I've found that "Nature" is most to my liking.
    Stephen - www.flickr.com/photos/argyllphotos
    Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, Zenza Bronica, and an ever-changing nest of lenses

Comment

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Pete

Comment

Stephen

Forgot to ask, you say 'Nature', but the G-3 only has 'Natural', is this what you meant?
        Pete

Comment

Originally posted by whatapicture View Post
          Stephen

Forgot to ask, you say 'Nature', but the G-3 only has 'Natural', is this what you meant?
          Pete
          Yes, I think so. I've not got the camera to hand. I think I was getting confused with the Pen, which has Nature!

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            Yes, I think so. I've not got the camera to hand. I think I was getting confused with the Pen, which has Nature!
            Nu... the PEN uses "natural" too. It's the only setting I use, personally. If I want to tweak the image "unnaturally", I prefer to do so in post.

*EDIT: I assume you're not talking about "Scene Modes" when you said "scenery", right? There could be a "nature" setting there, but not within the JPG "Picture Mode" settings used with PASM modes.
            Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Your assumption is correct Ned. I no longer have a Pen, so could not remember the exact name of the setting.

Comment

The Panny G-3 has 7 'Picture Styles'
                My concerns were out of camera colour being too vivid in scenery mode on down load to the PC and before PP.

Scenery [quite vivid]
                Portrait
                Custom
                Standard [OK but needs tweaking]
                Vivid [Too vivid]
                Natural [rather flat]
                Monochrome

All can be adjusted for:

Contrast
                Sharpness
                Saturation
                Noise reduction
                Customize

At the moment, I am using Scenery mode in Jpeg with the contrast and saturation -1, the sharpness -1 and noise reduct -1. and some tone curve adjustment in PP

This seems to have removed the unreal over the top colour to a more pleasing colour such as you would see on Kodachrome 25, for those who can remember. I PP in PMB which is a Sony soft ware programme and it works very well with all the parameters i need. The auto correction programme being particularly good.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X