Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic camera - which one

Hi all,

I have to show my ignorance here and confess that I don't know a lot about the Panasonic brand or their cameras.

Could someone enlighten me on the brand and the G and GH cameras, what is the difference for photography. I also note that there are more and more posts appearing, here and elsewhere on the video capability.

How do they rate for photographs and video, and which one would you recommend?

Regards

Paul

Re: Panasonic camera - which one

Hi Paul,

I have recently bought the G3 and 4 m4/3 lenses (see my signature) and are very pleased with them.

Basically the latest offerings from Panasonic (Lumix as they brand their photography stuff) are the GF3, the G3 and the GH2.

The GF3 is a very compact m4/3 camera with a 12Mp sensor and no viewfinder, a very good camera but the most basic of the 3 models. The G3 has the new 16Mp sensor, an EVF (electronic view finder) and a fully articulated 3" screen that is touch sensitive. It ergonomics are like that of a compact DSLR, personally I love the design. The GH2 is sort of the flagship of the range also with a 16Mp sensor but not the same as used on the G3. It's bigger than the G3 and is also like a DSLR, I've never handled one so can't comment about it's feel or performance. The GH2 is supposed to have very good video capabilities I believe, the G3 isn't too shabby in the video either though.
    I'm VERY pleased with the quality of the pics from my G3, the high ISO performance is very good, I regularly shoot at 3200 ISO and the photos are fine, even at 6400 they are still vibrant and detailed.
    I can certainly recommend a G3 and I'm sure the GH2 is just as good but it's more expensive and larger so you have to decide.

I've posted several photos from the G3 on this site recently so look under "For the album" section in the photos directory.

Paul
    GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Comment

Hi Paul I moved from an E300 to E30 then to a GH1 and now a GH2. I do as much video as I do Photos so I wanted a good hybrid. I still use some Oly lenses but now have a few old but good fast Minolta MD lenses also. That's another advantage of the M/43 system - almost any lens can be used with an adaptor. I'm very happy with my GH2.
      Cheers, Rob

Comment

Hi Paul and Rob,

Thanks for the info.

Having seen more and more positive posts about Panasonic gear I have become interested in their capability. Having purchased a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Micro 4/3 and have been using it on a Pen EP2 I feel the Panasonic may be the way to go.

Regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
        X