E-PL1 and Kit Lens for Pro Model work - don't laugh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-PL1 and Kit Lens for Pro Model work - don't laugh

I'm not sure if this video was posted on the forum before - it is old (July 2010) - - - but I just came across it yesterday.

It is just a further proof that all of the nitpicking over camera specs and abilities that goes on on the web - has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to produce not only usable, but high quality images that are salable and publishable.

It could be that these guys aren't using the E-PL1 for much if any of their paid work, but these video backshots of them shooting a swimsuit model certainly shows that anything that's supposedly lacking in the E-PL1 or the kit lens - has nothing to do with using such equipment to produce really nice pro caliber images.

The E-PL1/kit lens setup appears very functional when they are shooting and later on when they connect up to studio strobes as well. One thing that I found interesting, has to do with so many photographers feeling the need for an EVF with this camera. The fellow here felt that it was far easier to compose and get into the shoot using the LCD screen. I actually feel the same and have no problem shooting using that screen from arms length.

Photography is still all about light, composition and creative use of whatever camera or lens we have (they all have limitations). Enjoy:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG1l6Rgupgw
    INSTAGRAM - @rswpix

Re: E-PL1 and Kit Lens for Pro Model work - don't laugh

I think the viewfinder requirement is mainly to do with people, like me - alas, whose near sight has deteriorated with age! Just 2 years ago I was fine viewing screens and fine print from a foot away, but now even at 18 inches I have to squint and using screens on their own, especially in low light, is a chore. A viewfinder avoids this problem

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      I think the viewfinder requirement is mainly to do with people, like me - alas, whose near sight has deteriorated with age! Just 2 years ago I was fine viewing screens and fine print from a foot away, but now even at 18 inches I have to squint and using screens on their own, especially in low light, is a chore. A viewfinder avoids this problem

Ian
      I have the same issue. Trying to use reading glasses with the rear display and keep track of what's going on around me leads to vertigo and bumping into things.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred L View Post
        I have the same issue. Trying to use reading glasses with the rear display and keep track of what's going on around me leads to vertigo and bumping into things.

Fred
        I do have a pair of bifocals but I dread wearing them out and about

I don't yet have a pair of reading glasses - can't just buy them off the peg as I have varying degrees of astigmatism in either eye.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Yes, I'm almost there too. But that's annoying to pay more for a VF than I paid for my camera with two lenses.
          I wish they would integrate an assist focus like Sony did for their video cameras, what is in focus is highlighted in a different color.

And on what Robert said, I can see around me people who think that having the latest or more expensive lens, gadget or camera will make them take better pictures. Still waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain View Post
            Yes, I'm almost there too. But that's annoying to pay more for a VF than I paid for my camera with two lenses.
            I wish they would integrate an assist focus like Sony did for their video cameras, what is in focus is highlighted in a different color.

And on what Robert said, I can see around me people who think that having the latest or more expensive lens, gadget or camera will make them take better pictures. Still waiting.
            I have a BUNCH of 4/3 and m4/3 cameras and my favorite, by far, is the EPL-1 when not shooting action..

When going out to shoot wildlife, or landscapes, the EPL-1 seems to just "shoot better" than my g3 or my g1, and even better than my E-620 et al.

That made it EASY to justify buying the EVF for the EPL-1.

Another gadget I would NOT like to go without is the 4/3 to m4/3 lens adapter..

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by LarryL View Post
              When going out to shoot wildlife, or landscapes, the EPL-1 seems to just "shoot better" than my g3 or my g1, and even better than my E-620 et al.
              I agree. I'm about ready to throw my E-M5 off a cliff because it's jpegs can't match the out of the detail resolution and "wow" colors of my E-PL1. Even my 2003 E-1 has nicer jpegs than my E-M5 (outdoors in bright light).

I mainly shoot video with the E-M5 and when the Pany GH3 comes out I'll likely ditch the E-M5 and get the GH3 for even better video. Meanwhile I'll just keep shooting stills of outdoor landscapes with my E-PL1 - perhaps for years to come if Oly never comes out with anything that can top it.

Comment

I truly believe the E-PL1 is one of the best cameras that Olympus have produced.
                I've used all the PENs at one time or another and keep going back to it, simply because it produces the goods...
                My 9-18 is the default lens as it is brilliant, but the kit lenses are very good as well.

Ok, this picture was taken with the new 75mm f/1.8 attached to my E-PL1

But this was done with the 40-150 at full stretch

100% crop from RAW - Very Dull Day - NO Processing
                Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Comment

Originally posted by M4/3 View Post
                  I agree. I'm about ready to throw my E-M5 off a cliff because it's jpegs can't match the out of the detail resolution and "wow" colors of my E-PL1. Even my 2003 E-1 has nicer jpegs than my E-M5 (outdoors in bright light).

I mainly shoot video with the E-M5 and when the Pany GH3 comes out I'll likely ditch the E-M5 and get the GH3 for even better video. Meanwhile I'll just keep shooting stills of outdoor landscapes with my E-PL1 - perhaps for years to come if Oly never comes out with anything that can top it.
                  Throwing it off a cliff isn't really environmentally sound. I suggest sending it to me for proper disposal. I'd be happy to handle it at no charge to you

Fred

Comment

Working...
                  X