E-M5 Firmware Update 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M5 Firmware Update 2.2

I infer from what I've read that this update is aimed at the new 300mm lens. Olympus says:
    Compatible with Olympus lens with a built-in image stabilizing function.
    * The camera body recognizes the IS built into the lens, allowing for optimal image stabilizing effects.
       Not compatible with 5 axis Sync IS.

Does this mean that Panasonic Lumix lenses with IS can benefit from this operational update or is it just for Olympus lenses that meet the requirements?

Re: E-M5 Firmware Update 2.2

Originally posted by BW79ST View Post
    I infer from what I've read that this update is aimed at the new 300mm lens. Olympus says:
    * The camera body recognizes the IS built into the lens, allowing for optimal image stabilizing effects.

Does this mean that Panasonic Lumix lenses with IS can benefit from this operational update or is it just for Olympus lenses that meet the requirements?
    At this point it seems not (being tested by others), that Panasonic OIS lenses would benefit from this. It is shame that they can't be, but maybe we can hope for future compatibility (just don't hold your breath waiting though).

It would seem that since the Sync IS that works with the 300 F4 Pro lens & the E-M1 (FW 4.1) & E-M5 II (FW 2.2) can't be applied to earlier models then the alternative 'dual IS' from Olympus is for all the rest of the 16MP models since the E-M5 (to use with this one lens).
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I asked this same question on DPreview and have not seen a reply there.

"Will this allow for use of image stabilization built into the Panasonic 14-140mm Lumix f3.5-5.6 lens?

The information about this new firmware says the following:
      "Compatible with Olympus lens with a built-in image stabilizing function.
      * You can get the effects of rolling stabilization from the IS function of the body, along with the effects of image stabilization from the IS function of the lens."

My question is whether this new firmware will allow the IS function of the Olympus OM-D E-M5II body with the IS function of the Panasonic 14-140mm Lumixf3.5-5.6 lens? Or will it only work for new forthcoming Olympus lenses that will have built in IS?"

Ross commented "At this point it seems not (being tested by others)".

Being new to this forum, I am wondering if this will be confirmed?

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
        At this point it seems not (being tested by others), that Panasonic OIS lenses would benefit from this. It is shame that they can't be, but maybe we can hope for future compatibility (just don't hold your breath waiting though).

It would seem that since the Sync IS that works with the 300 F4 Pro lens & the E-M1 (FW 4.1) & E-M5 II (FW 2.2) can't be applied to earlier models then the alternative 'dual IS' from Olympus is for all the rest of the 16MP models since the E-M5 (to use with this one lens).
        I'm not familiar with some of these terms . . . what is 5 axis Sync IS, and how does it differ from dual IS? Do both use the IS in the lens and the IS in the camera in a cooperative way?

- Hal -
        A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
        Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

These 2 links might answer your question about 5 axis SIS:
          http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/prod...2/feature.html
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuKKtZeBN5c

As of now I think it only works with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm F4.0 IS PRO, which is the first Olympus interchangeable lens to be equipped with in-lens image stabilisation.

Comment

Originally posted by hschnee View Post
            I'm not familiar with some of these terms . . . what is 5 axis Sync IS, and how does it differ from dual IS? Do both use the IS in the lens and the IS in the camera in a cooperative way?

- Hal -
            5 axis Sync IS is what is possible with the 300 f4 Pro lens when used on the E-M1 & E-M5 II (& PEN-F) when they are updated with the latest firmware. You can read all about it here. http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/I...0-PRO/Overview

For all the other 16MP model cameras from E-M5 onwards Olympus has released the latest firmware updates for those models that allows the 300 f4 lens to use the 'in lens' IS while being complimented with 'in body' correction of any roll or rotational movement that can occur when pressing the shutter button.
            The following is what the FW description contains.
            E-M5
            Ver.2.2
            (Jan.28 2016)

* Not compatible with 5 axis Sync IS.
            * You can get the effects of rolling stabilization from the IS function of the body, along with the effects of image stabilization from the IS function of the lens.
            Compatible with Windows 10.
            Unfortunately this only applies to Olympus OIS lenses (being only the 300 f4 lens) & is not effective with any other brand of lens with OIS. Maybe that might change in the future but I don't know if there would be any patents that would apply in the process though which may complicate the legality of making them compatible (or just an unwillingness to make other brand features compatible?), but that seems wrong if these lenses are all supposed to be M4/3's compatible.
            The description "Not compatible with 5 axis Sync IS" just means it won't operate like it would on the E-M1 & E-M5 II models (with latest FW).
            Ross
            Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

well tonight i used the updater and at 1st it updated it to 1.3. Also it showed my pan 35-100 f2.8 lens. 1st i just updated the camera but when it was finished i noticed the camera has the ability not for screen touch. didn't know i could do that with the camera. I can now. Then it updated it to 2.2. After that was finished it updated my panasonic lens from 1.0 to 1.3

Comment

Originally posted by ShootersIN View Post
                well tonight i used the updater and at 1st it updated it to 1.3. Also it showed my pan 35-100 f2.8 lens. 1st i just updated the camera but when it was finished i noticed the camera has the ability not for screen touch. didn't know i could do that with the camera. I can now. Then it updated it to 2.2. After that was finished it updated my panasonic lens from 1.0 to 1.3
                There has been a few additions with all those updates now.

Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
                [ E-M5 ]

For updating the camera to the latest version, you are required to update the camera twice.

If the current version is 1.0 or 1.1:
                First, update the camera to version 1.3, and then update to the latest version.

If the current version is 1.2:
                First, update the camera to version 1.4, and then update to the latest version.

Ver.2.2
                (Jan.28 2016)
                * Not compatible with 5 axis Sync IS.
                * You can get the effects of rolling stabilization from the IS function of the body, along with the effects of image stabilization from the IS function of the lens.
                Compatible with Windows 10.
                Ver.2.1
                (Nov.13 2014)
                Precision of AF when M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO lens is mounted has been improved.
                Ver.2.0
                (Jan. 29, 2014)
                Small AF target (icon) was added to the AF target settings.
                ISO LOW (100 equivalent) was expanded on the low sensitivity side.
                Ver.1.7
                (Jun. 12, 2013)
                Supported VF-4 electronic view finder.
                * Automatic display switching by the eye sensor is not supported.
                Ver.1.6
                (Feb. 19, 2013)
                The highlight and shadow control function was modified so the exposure settings are applied correctly at ISO 2000 or higher.
                The issue that occasionally prevented operations during long exposures was resolved.
                Ver.1.5
                (Oct. 2, 2012)
                Operating sounds in the photo ready mode were decreased.
                Use of the Image stabilizer function by setting the Focal length of an OM lens attached with an adapter was enabled even in Movie mode.
                All updates up to version 1.2 are included.
                Ver.1.4
                (Oct. 2, 2012)
                Update functions for firmware version 1.2 have been modified. Camera functions are the same as version 1.2. After updating to ver. 1.4, please update the camera to the latest version.
                Ver.1.3
                (Oct. 2, 2012)
                Update functions for firmware prior to version 1.1 have been modified. Camera functions are the same as version 1.1. After updating to ver. 1.3, please update the camera to the latest version.
                Ver.1.2
                (Jul. 12, 2012)
                Improved sleep recovery operation.
                AF target is indicated when using C-AF+TR while shooting sequential images using Sequential L.
                Added function to automatically move zoom to the following zoom positions when underwater macro mode or underwater wide mode is selected.
                (Only when M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50 mm F3.5-6.3 EZ is attached)
                Underwater wide mode: Wide setting
                Underwater macro mode: Telephoto setting
                Ver.1.1
                (Apr. 18, 2012)
                Issue of updates stopping while updating firmware has been resolved.
                Image stabilizer function when using the following lenses has been modified.
                ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye
                ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 18-180mm F3.5-6.3
                LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-150mm
                Ross

Comment

Working...
                X