Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waiting for the OMD-EM1... enjoy this read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waiting for the OMD-EM1... enjoy this read.

Um, I think things have got a bit off-topic...

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Has everybody seen the video?

Olympus OM D E M1 Camera Hands On Video on Vimeo

Annie

Comment

Guess how long this stays up:

Whoever gets closest to the take-down wins a prize.
        Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Comment

well, theres always going to be a copy somewhere...

Comment

I sure hope the camera itself is more impressive than this lousy video . . .

Looking back at the old E-5 thread, I notice how different my perspective is. At the time, I was very dissatisfied with the current Olympus bodies. My E-410 was not meeting all of my photographic needs, and all of the bodies released up to that point still had some serious deficiencies, IMO. So when the E-5 also failed on some big fronts (most notably, a sensor that was just a tweaked version of the existing 12MP Olympus sensor, and a very high price), I was deeply disappointed and decided to wait for a later model before upgrading.

The E-M5 turned out to be that later model. Other than the mediocre-to-poor AF with my SWD lenses, I am very happy with it. So as much as I'm excited about the E-M1 release, I'm not as attached to the details. If the rumors are accurate, it appears that Olympus have solved the AF issues. Whether or not I decide to buy an E-M1 comes down to two things: 1) are the improved AF and any additional functionality enough to justify an upgrade at this time, and 2) How much will it cost? I won't decide anything until after the official release, and probably not until after I read some test reports. And I may decide that the E-M5 is really the right type of camera for me, and wait until a replacement model that includes the latest AF advancements.

As for what to do about the governments here in the U.S. . . if only getting people to care about and for each other were as easy as solving camera focusing issues.

- Hal -
            A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
            Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Hello Hal,
              I totally agree with you. It is not a very impressive video. Maybe that is the reason why it was removed in the first place.
              Should I perhaps remove it again?
              Annie

Comment

looking back

The EVF is going to be a bit of an experience
                Focus was absolutely instant with 14-35/2, a lens not known for focus speed
                Interestingly face detect seemed to be able to keep up with the IS rocker demo, as follow focus. Not a simple thing..

it is going to be a pity about video, b/se this isnt only the world as we know it now, but as much as 3 years from now.
                If they have to work on something it is video format and codec.
                Otherwise it isnt going to be a whole lot different to the EOSHD review of M5 http://www.eoshd.com/content/8565/ol...-d-e-m5-review
                which is a video centric look at that camera, the good and the bad
                and to be honest if you are PAL oriented by virtue of location, it isnt good
                Last edited by Riley; 7th September 2013, 05:52 PM. Reason: additions

Comment

I had the money put aside for an E-5 when it was launched but never got around to getting one. Have contemplated getting an EM-5 a few times for the fast manual focus glass available for m4/3 but didn't really need one.

Maybe the new camera will get me to upgrade.
                  It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Comment

Yeah, I too was really thinking about getting the E-5 at the time. But I found a refurbished E-3 for about $1,000 less, and I couldn't rationalize the extra cost for what I considered to be a modest improvement in IQ over the E-3. The E-3 is still serving me well, so not a bad choice for an amateur.
                    Dan Lang

Comment

Gidday John

Originally posted by John Perriment View Post
                      My wife and daughter still use E-510s and I never cease to be impressed by the outstanding JPEGs they produce at low ISO.
                      I agree. Although I always shoot RAW + LSF/SHQ JPEG. I never use the JPEGs for editing or printing ... It's not even slightly hard to get a better image from any RAW than from its corresponding JPEG.

I often print at A2 size with my R3880. Some of the best A2 prints I have ever made have come from my E-510 and kit lenses and my E-1! These cameras can't be all that bad ...

BTW, I have now settled down about our election ... I do get a tad carried away with these things ... :\
                      regards, john from Melbourne, Australia

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLRs: E-30; E-510; E-1
                      ZD lenses: f2.8/25 pancake; f2/50 macro; 7~14; 11~22; 14~42; 14~45; 14~54 MkII; 40~150 MkI; 40~150 MkII; 50~200 MkI; EX-25; EC-14
                      Accessories: 3x Studio strobe kit; R3880; V700; Minolta ScanElite 5400 II; FL-36R; Sunpak MX-124; OM to 4/3rds adapters
                      And a whole swag of film gear and computer stuff. Very fortunate, really.

Comment

Originally posted by West Arm Rider View Post
                        The thread is is about what to do while waiting for the new camera... not off topic at all, I think the statement " the more things change the more they will stay the same...' will in the end probably cover your new government, which I know absolutely nothing about, as well.
                        It's also a discussion about the 'bottom line', as to how much cash will be left in our pockets with the gov't of the day & if we can afford this new gem of a camera.
                        Ross
                        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                        Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by John King View Post
                          Gidday John

BTW, I have now settled down about our election ... I do get a tad carried away with these things ... :\
                          G'day John. A bit of excitement is good for the spirit.

But speaking of excitement, what about The Digital Show in Melbourne this week?
                          https://www.facebook.com/TheDigitalS...ed_target_id=0
                          https://www.facebook.com/Olympus.AU

While there will be those enjoying the new stuff with Ian in the UK, Aussies can get into it in Melbourne at the Oly stand. I can't make it there (a little far for a jog or even a morning drive), I assume they will show the E-M1 & 12-40 lens for those that get there.
                          Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks for that, Ross.

My mate's organised that.
                            regards, john from Melbourne, Australia

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLRs: E-30; E-510; E-1
                            ZD lenses: f2.8/25 pancake; f2/50 macro; 7~14; 11~22; 14~42; 14~45; 14~54 MkII; 40~150 MkI; 40~150 MkII; 50~200 MkI; EX-25; EC-14
                            Accessories: 3x Studio strobe kit; R3880; V700; Minolta ScanElite 5400 II; FL-36R; Sunpak MX-124; OM to 4/3rds adapters
                            And a whole swag of film gear and computer stuff. Very fortunate, really.

Comment

Originally posted by West Arm Rider View Post
                              While scanning the events and thread around the new camera I decided to go back 3 years (almost exactly) to the last release of a new 4/3rds camera... a superbly entertaining and enjoyable thread which once again proves " the more things change the more they stay the same..."
                              Actually, if anything the thread shows to me just how much things have changed, and mostly for the better. The E-5 was what many people feared - a stop-gap camera that neither kept up with its purported competitors, nor addressed the question of the long-term future of 4/3.

Whatever the detailed specs are, the E-M1 is definitively answering the question of 4/3 future, and all indications are that with the possible exception of C-AF, it will be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by John King View Post
                                Gidday John

I agree. Although I always shoot RAW + LSF/SHQ JPEG. I never use the JPEGs for editing or printing ... It's not even slightly hard to get a better image from any RAW than from its corresponding JPEG.
                                Gidday to you, too, John.

I agree about raw, but my wife and daughter are completely non-technical; for example they only ever shoot in program mode! There is no way they would process their raws and I have enough of my own!
                                View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Working...
                                X