Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New body or better lens???

Hi
    I am a newbie, but have a 520 with the standard 14-42mm lens and a 40-150mm lens.
    Now I do not for one minute think I use a fraction of the menu options on the 520, but I love taking photos and am really enjoying this new hobby.
    My question is: should I save for a better body (620 / E30) or a better lens - I can only dream of looking at the pro lenses atm, but you never know

As a faily basic user, is it the body that will give me the great improvements or the lens?

Many thanks
    Karen

Re: New body or better lens

I'd prefer to ask - what is it about my photography that could be improved and how much of that improvement could be helped by a hardware upgrade, if anything?

The perceived weaknesses of the E-520 are its small viewfinder, and simple three point AF system. Another is its high ISO performance (limited to 1600 ISO and at that setting some dark tone banding can be evident). The E-620 addresses all these issues and adds a few new benefits, like the option of a HLD-5 power grip, and the handy swing-out LCD screen. If you think any of these will be worthwhile, then a move to an E-620 can be recommended.

The 14-42 kit and 14-150 ket lenses are actually already very good. Maybe you feel the need to go wider, so a 9-18 could widen your scope, literally! Or you may find the 40-150 doesn't reach as far as you'd like, so a 70-300 or 50-200 might fit the bill. The kit lenses are aperture limited, so the more epensive lenses offer you added brightness and the ability to creatively limit depth of field. It's your choice!

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

I would save for lenses, if budget is tight the 14-54 Mk2 is a good lens, it offers better quality, is faster and has more reach than the kit lens, ideally though the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD lenses are the best option to aim for. They are fairly expensive but are a good investment and are very good quality lenses.
      It's not really worth upgrading a body when you only have kit lenses, although sometimes when you buy a new body lens combo you get a better price then buying the items individually.

I don't really see the point in upgrading from the E520 to an E620, better I think to upgrade to an E30 as it offers more features and for me anyway would have better ergonomics.

Paul
      GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
      Flickr

Comment

You camera and lenses are okay,try insted to work to bee a better photographer,and save your money,

Comment

Originally posted by pewidane View Post
          You camera and lenses are okay,try insted to work to bee a better photographer,and save your money,
          How many new cameras have you bought in the last year, Peder?

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

Ian
            Dear Ian you have absolutely right.I spend too much money and will not be a better photographer because i get a new camera,but i probaly have too much money,but i said to myself that this time is the last..Peder.

Comment

Originally posted by pewidane View Post
              ,but i said to myself that this time is the last..Peder.
              Ha ha, I wish I had a pound for every time I've said that

Paul
              GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
              Flickr

Comment

Better lenses, always. ALWAYS. A body stores the images, lets you compose, etc. Lenses handle the light, and light is everything. Without good manipulation of the light coming at you, you got nothin'. Good lenses are not always expensive. And buy used or rerurb, you'll save a ton on people that HAVE to have the new stuff.

Comment

I agree with Ian--before you buy a new camera or lens, first ask what you find deficient in your current kit.

The best money I ever spent on my photography was a photo workshop. Being out in the field with a pro providing teaching and guidance was more valuable than I ever imagined and greatly improved my photography. Local photo clubs are great as well (just don't be persuaded to trade your camera in for a Canon or Nikon!--folks tend to be very biased about equipment, and they don't always know what they're talking about).

- Hal -
                  A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
                  Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

Peder - a man after my own heart I think - I always itch for the lastest & so called best

I will stick with my 520 in the medium term & watch eBay to see if I can get some lens bargains

Karen

Comment

What's your budget?
                      Take it and go for a trip / vacation. You'll come back with a lot of great photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Cube View Post
                        Hi
                        I am a newbie, but have a 520 with the standard 14-42mm lens and a 40-150mm lens.

My question is: should I save for a better body (620 / E30) or a better lens - I can only dream of looking at the pro lenses atm, but you never know

As a faily basic user, is it the body that will give me the great improvements or the lens?
                        As a basic user your lenses are fine. Upgrade the body to E-620.
                        I did that and am very happy. E-620 has a swivel LCD which allows for easy low and high camera angles, and it has better focusing system.
                        GF1 / E-5 / TM900

Comment

Why not take advantage from the hire service and hire a good lens and body and try them out....?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Cube View Post
                            Hi
                            Now I do not for one minute think I use a fraction of the menu options on the 520, but I love taking photos and am really enjoying this new hobby.

Many thanks
                            Karen
                            Karen,

what are you missing, what is holding your back? Have you tried something recently which isn't working out?

Also, what is the type of photography you are interested in?

The thing I am presently most excited about is my new Metz flash (54 MZ-4i, it weighs about a pound and is way to big for the E-P1 but I really enjoy the power of that beast) and my old slave trigger I found in the attic. Now I can use both my Metz units simultaneously. None of my office item is save any more and my wife's poor cats aren't either Due to the weight, the Metz feels more at home on my E-300. I assume it would do well on a E-520 as well. The extra juice helps (about twice the power than my old one). I am suddenly getting flash pictures I am happy with. Previously I used to bin them.

So far I uploaded one image to the gallery:

He clearly needs to clean his face This is from my E-300 with a 150mm lens from about 1.5m distance and the flash bounced under the ceiling. Cats are extremely prone to "green eye" - I had to disengage the second reflector. If you look into the left eye you can see the entire room, including me holding the camera.

I like Neil van Niekerk's article on using flash a lot: http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/f...hy-techniques/
                            enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

Ian
                              Dear Ian i have tonigt sold all my old cameras and lenses to a freind.So i have now only 1 camera Panasonic GF 1 2 lenses 15-45 mm and 45-200mm.Later i wil purcase the 20 mm 1,7 optik and the ww finder..I get so many money from my old stuf to pay for the ney camera and 1 lens.Peder.

Comment

Working...
                              X