E510 Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E510 Features

I would be interested to hear views from people who have changed from the earlier E series bodies, how they have found the the new live preview and image stabiliser, does it help them, has it performed better than expected ?
    Mike

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    I would be interested to hear views from people who have changed from the earlier E series bodies, how they have found the the new live preview and image stabiliser, does it help them, has it performed better than expected ?
    Mike

Me too Mike. More specifically from anyone who's upgraded from the E-500, which is the model I'm using. I can find no fault with it, but then again, I'm strictly amateur and I'm sure there are more knowledgeable users out there who know what to expect performance-wise from the E-510. Aside from the larger pixel count, to what degree does it outperform the E-500?

Rob.
    Rob

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer...

Comment

Same here Rob, I use an E500 and think the view from the man in the street would be useful. I can see the reasons why the differences are there, but are Olympus adding features just to attract a new market......I often wonder if its like a new mobile phone that has so many gadgets..........a lot of people actually only use it to make phone calls..........so are they just a selling gimmick or a real aid to the photographer.
      I wait in anticipation for some images and feedback

Comment

Same here Rob, I use an E500 and think the view from the man in the street would be useful. I can see the reasons why the differences are there, but are Olympus adding features just to attract a new market......I often wonder if its like a new mobile phone that has so many gadgets..........a lot of people actually only use it to make phone calls..........so are they just a selling gimmick or a real aid to the photographer.
        I wait in anticipation for some images and feedback
        Hi Mike,

The E-510 is operationally very similar to the E-500. It's a slightly smaller camera, but most of the buttons are in the same place as the E-500 and the screen layout and menus will be very familiar.

High ISO noise performance is quite a bit better than the E-500. ISO 800 and 1600 are well worth using if you need to, which a lot of E-500 users will envy

The IS system definitely works - I was able to get measurably more consistently sharp results at 1/15th second using a 42 or 50mm (84 or 100 equivalent) focal length with IS switched on.

Live view becomes increasingly useful the more one uses it. The lack of full AF in IS mode and the mechanical delay when shooting in IS mode isn't as much of a disadvantage once you anticipate it. It's a shame the screen doesn't tilt.

The new kit lenses are optically very good indeed and amazingly small, but - especially the 40-150 - the brightness through the zoom range is not as good as the older and larger lens, which you have.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Re: E510 Features

Mike
          I upgraded from an E-300. This is the camera I have been waiting for. It is a perfect compromise between pro and a point and shoot. The Image Stabilization is what makes it for me. My wife had issues with blurred shots and "missing" the shot of the kids that she wanted. The IS has given us 80-90% good pic ratio up from about 50% with the E-300. I will say the E-300 is built like a tank and I have not had any real issue with it. The E-500 seemed like a toy to me at first but I really like it now and am very appreciative of its lighter weight and size. The only issue I had was that the battery and memory doors seem "flimsy" to me but I can live with that with the great shots I am getting. The kit lenses seem at least as good as the older kit lenses and their smaller weight and size is a welcome plus. There is not a lot I can say bad about it yet. I agree with some that have said it may have been nice if the LCD pivoted and the pop up lens worked with the flash installed in the shoe. I never had a need for those in the past, but if I had my druthers I guess those would be a pair. I love this thing. I would give it a 9/10 for sure.

E-510
          14-54/2.8-3.5
          14-42/3.5-5.6
          40-150/4.0-5.6
          OM2n
          Various Zuiko Lenses

Comment

Now your starting to tempt me, I do have an issue with shaking, I have hands that are always recovering from the night before and I seem to have less success when using the longer range of the zoom, so this may be a good option,
            Thanks for the feed back
            Mike

Comment

Mike, After being a very happy owner of an E500 I can tell you that the upgrade to the E510 makes a remarkable difference. The IS lets me handhold with a 360 mm lens down to shutter speeds of less than 80. The ISO of 800 and 1600 actually can be used to take printable pictures in very low light (like at dusk when all shadows are gone). The live view is useful for table work, especially the grid view to help with placement. I have compared color with the two cameras and haven't noticed any great change either good or bad. Moving the Fn botton off the thumb rest is also an improvement. I personally don't have much use for the live view but I am sure others do. I really like the E510--best digital camera I have ever used or owned. My favorite lens is the Z 18-180 has a bit of distortion but easy to fix in Photoshop and not any worse then other makes with similar range. I probably don't even qualify as an amateur but I have lots of fun. I can't believe the improvement at ISO 800 and 1600. I wish Olympus would update the Firmware for the E500 and improve it as much.
              Bob
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                Mike, After being a very happy owner of an E500 I can tell you that the upgrade to the E510 makes a remarkable difference. The IS lets me handhold with a 360 mm lens down to shutter speeds of less than 80. The ISO of 800 and 1600 actually can be used to take printable pictures in very low light (like at dusk when all shadows are gone). The live view is useful for table work, especially the grid view to help with placement. I have compared color with the two cameras and haven't noticed any great change either good or bad. Moving the Fn botton off the thumb rest is also an improvement. I personally don't have much use for the live view but I am sure others do. I really like the E510--best digital camera I have ever used or owned. My favorite lens is the Z 18-180 has a bit of distortion but easy to fix in Photoshop and not any worse then other makes with similar range. I probably don't even qualify as an amateur but I have lots of fun. I can't believe the improvement at ISO 800 and 1600. I wish Olympus would update the Firmware for the E500 and improve it as much.
                Bob
                Bob
                The E-510 noise performance improvement is not down to firmware - it has a completely new sensor and image processor compared to the E-500.

Ian
                Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by borgunit View Post
                  I upgraded from an E-300. This is the camera I have been waiting for. It is a perfect compromise between pro and a point and shoot. The Image Stabilization is what makes it for me. My wife had issues with blurred shots and "missing" the shot of the kids that she wanted. The IS has given us 80-90% good pic ratio up from about 50% with the E-300. I will say the E-300 is built like a tank and I have not had any real issue with it. The E-500 seemed like a toy to me at first but I really like it now and am very appreciative of its lighter weight and size. The only issue I had was that the battery and memory doors seem "flimsy" to me but I can live with that with the great shots I am getting. The kit lenses seem at least as good as the older kit lenses and their smaller weight and size is a welcome plus. There is not a lot I can say bad about it yet. I agree with some that have said it may have been nice if the LCD pivoted and the pop up lens worked with the flash installed in the shoe. I never had a need for those in the past, but if I had my druthers I guess those would be a pair. I love this thing. I would give it a 9/10 for sure.
                  Nice telling. But I looking for explanation about focus. 510 has 3 point. Is it? Now I have canon Pro 1 which has more focus point. I read online tests results, but i am not sure about this tests. Could you say somthing about focus?
                  Life in snapshot!
                  www.bildespardzivi.info

Comment

Originally posted by LaCis View Post
                    Nice telling. But I looking for explanation about focus. 510 has 3 point. Is it? Now I have canon Pro 1 which has more focus point. I read online tests results, but i am not sure about this tests. Could you say somthing about focus?
                    There are a few times when I could have found more AF points useful, but on other cameras where there are more AF points, leaving the system on auto-select, I find, just asks for problems - very often the wrong AF point locks and the subject is out of focus.

99% of the time I only use the one central AF point. I focus, then re-compose while maintaining the focus by keeping the shutter button half pressed. The main thing you need to watch is exposure as if you focus too far off the scene you want to actually take, the exposure could be different.

The answer there is to lock exposure using the AE Lock button, point to your focus point while maintaining AE Lock, establishing focus and then re-composing, while maintaining focus lock. It's easy when you practice!

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

Lacis, I set my camera to always use only one focus point (that which is my main interest in the picture). I use to ruin quite a few pictures using a camera that had multiple focus point and the camera made the choice rather than me. I then attemp to determine the remainder of the view by controlling the aperature for depth of field. The new E510 with IS and better functioning ASA above 400 make this easier to do. Acutally I have found that blurring a backgroud is better done in PhotoShop than adjustments made with camera.
                      Bob

Comment

I have never had an issue with focusing. I believe that every single review I have read makes issue with the number of focus points but goes on to say say that it works well. I think it is more of a selling point than an actual enhancement. If you think about it, if you were trying to toggle between focus points while snapping a pic, would you rather toggle through 3 or 9. That is just my take on it. When I need to focus on a subject, I set the focus point on it, hold halfway down, focus, and snap. A lot like a film camera (except the digital will focus for you).

E-510
                        14-54/2.8-3.5
                        14-42/3.5-5.6
                        40-150/4.0-5.6
                        OM2n
                        Various Zuiko Lenses

Comment

Heatedly agree.

Comment

I'm a simple hobbyist, and I've got the E-410, but I think it's exactly the same as far as focus goes. The autofocus performance is quite good, miles ahead of any P&S I've used, and I don't think it suffers from a lack of "points" -- in fact, I only ever use one.

Here's my tip -- or perhaps my poor man's "guide to focus on the E-410/510". I like to use the "mode 2" button assignments in the setup menu, together with the S-AF+MF and C-AF+MF focus settings. What this does is

* Gives you manual focus at all times.
                            * Sets a half-press of the shutter to be AEL (very handy) instead of AF.
                            * Sets the AEL/AFL button to be "begin autofocus".
                            * Does all AF on the center AF marker.

If I want to focus manually, I just do it, no hassles. If I want to AF, I just point the center marker at my subject (or a point at the right distance), press AEL/AFL with my thumb, wait a moment, and go. Then I can take all the shots I like at that focus setting without the camera trying to refocus. And if I want to make some fine adjustment with the MF ring, I can do that without it getting spoiled the next time I press the shutter release.

Using this trick with C-AF is even more interesting, as the C-AF starts running when you press the button, and doesn't stop until you press it again. Sounds promising for use with rapidly-moving subjects, but I also imagine it tears through batteries. I haven't had a chance to give it a good try yet, but I'm going on a "dolphin cruise" next week, and I'll let you all know how it comes out.
                            Last edited by hobbified; 30th July 2007, 05:25 PM. Reason: Expand and clarify

Comment

Originally posted by hobbified View Post
                              I'm a simple hobbyist, and I've got the E-410, but I think it's exactly the same as far as focus goes. The autofocus performance is quite good, miles ahead of any P&S I've used, and I don't think it suffers from a lack of "points" -- in fact, I only ever use one.

Here's my tip -- or perhaps my poor man's "guide to focus on the E-410/510". I like to use the "mode 2" button assignments in the setup menu, together with the S-AF+MF and C-AF+MF focus settings. What this does is

* Gives you manual focus at all times.
                              * Sets a half-press of the shutter to be AEL (very handy) instead of AF.
                              * Sets the AEL/AFL button to be "begin autofocus".
                              * Does all AF on the center AF marker.

If I want to focus manually, I just do it, no hassles. If I want to AF, I just point the center marker at my subject (or a point at the right distance), press AEL/AFL with my thumb, wait a moment, and go. Then I can take all the shots I like at that focus setting without the camera trying to refocus. And if I want to make some fine adjustment with the MF ring, I can do that without it getting spoiled the next time I press the shutter release.

Using this trick with C-AF is even more interesting, as the C-AF starts running when you press the button, and doesn't stop until you press it again. Sounds promising for use with rapidly-moving subjects, but I also imagine it tears through batteries. I haven't had a chance to give it a good try yet, but I'm going on a "dolphin cruise" next week, and I'll let you all know how it comes out.
                              Yes, indeed - there are a number of quite popular custom re-programs of the command buttons that I have seen. It's certainly worth experimenting.

All DSLRs should focus faster than point and shoot cameras as a phase detect system in the TTL viewfinder is used and this works much faster than the contrast detection systmes that point and shoot digital cameras rely on.

That said, I think there should be a contrast detection option for live view mode in the future, especially as focusing off the sensor will always be 100% accurate (the phase detect system can go out of calibration, especially if the camera is physically knocked).

Ian
                              Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
                              X