Ant Stock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant Stock

Hi I've bought an Olympus e500 this is my first dslr camera. It has two lenses 14-45mm and a 40-150mm. I want to take extreme close-ups and the cheapest lens I've found is around the 175ish mark. So I wondered would an OM to four/thirds adapter and an OM 50 mm f/1.8 lens do the job
    Thanx will upload latest shots soon but the garden is in need of work and it's nice weather.

Re: Ant Stock

Best bet is to get a Raynox DCR-250 or DCR-150 for your 14-14mm. It will take you where you want to get with great IQ.
    Gary - "I plan to live forever. So far, so good."
    <><~~~~~~~~~~~
    E-620 ~ Fujifilm HS-20EXR
    My images are at http://toths.us/GJT
    Joshua 24:15

Comment

Cheerz Gary I googled them and they look like a good deal
      All the best
      Ant

Comment

I don't know the prices in your area, but both the Zuiko 70-300mm and the Zuiko 35mm are very inexpensive and capable of extreme close-ups. The Zuiko 70-300mm can do 1:1 EFL macro but does it from a few feet away (making it much more difficult to steady the shot, but making it easier to light the shot and avoid spooking your subjects), while the Zuiko 35mm does 2:1 EFL macro (twice as magnified!), but requires you to get in really close (much steadier shot than the 70-300mm, but more difficult to light).

If you weren't on a budget I would suggest the EX-25 extension tube for the Zuiko 35mm or the EC-14 or EC-20 teleconverter for the Zuiko 70-300mm, but then it would no longer be a cheap alternative.

Those are the cheapest macro lenses I know of for a digital setup. I don't know how much cheaper you can get with legacy lenses...
        Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by AntStock View Post
          Cheerz Gary I googled them and they look like a good deal
          All the best
          Ant
          Be sure you can return them though. They're not a magic solution nor for everyone. I'd suggest the 150 as a starter as it's a bit easier to get decent results from it.
          Steve

Comment

If you are on a tight budget, an OM 50mm f1.8 with a reversing adapter (39mm to 4/3's) & also the cheap extension tubes, with both being available off ebay, would give you extreme closeup but with difficulty to see for focussing through a stopped down lens. It can be done by tripod mounting & providing a strong light.
            Last edited by Ross; 22nd May 2011, 07:25 AM.
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I have a Opteka HD Macro close-up lens which is a 4 element lens to screw on your filter thread. It can be bought on Ebay for 15-20 GBP in a wide range of sizes and gives a 10x magnification. It is best used at about 40-70mm and gives outstanding clarity and detail and will AF with my setup, although I normally use MF for macro. It was so cheap that I felt it was worth the risk and it has exceeded expectations. I now have it in two sizes for two different lenses. One big advantage is that it can be carried in a pocket and just screwed on when you need, without having to remove the lens and risking dust ingress.

An example shot of a ball point pen tip:

[IMG][/IMG]

David
              E-M1, Tamron 14-150mm, ED 75-300mm, ED 60mm, FL50R,
              Canon 7DII, Canon 400mm f5.6L, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, EF 55-250mm, EF 18-55mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

Comment

Originally posted by davidmorison View Post
                I have a Opteka HD Macro close-up lens which is a 4 element lens to screw on your filter thread. It can be bought on Ebay for 15-20 GBP in a wide range of sizes and gives a 10x magnification. It is best used at about 40-70mm and gives outstanding clarity and detail and will AF with my setup, although I normally use MF for macro. It was so cheap that I felt it was worth the risk and it has exceeded expectations. I now have it in two sizes for two different lenses. One big advantage is that it can be carried in a pocket and just screwed on when you need, without having to remove the lens and risking dust ingress.

An example shot of a ball point pen tip:

David
                That's impressive David - is that the full frame and what lens was used?

Ian
                Founder/editor
                Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                  That's impressive David - is that the full frame and what lens was used?

Ian
                  Ian

This was with the 50mm f2 on an E30 with off camera FL50R, handheld and is about 70% of the full frame. Using the Opteka on much wider than 20mm results in vignetting and much longer than 70mm results in edge degradation, but for 12 plus 5 postage from the US these are drawbacks I can live with. Using an extension tube as well can give almost micro results but creates additional difficulties. Bought from 47th Street through Ebay. I also have one to fit my Leica 14-150mm which is quite a heavy beast but is useful to have in my pocket for occasional use.

David
                  Last edited by davidmorison; 24th May 2011, 12:24 PM.
                  E-M1, Tamron 14-150mm, ED 75-300mm, ED 60mm, FL50R,
                  Canon 7DII, Canon 400mm f5.6L, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, EF 55-250mm, EF 18-55mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

Comment

Working...
                  X