Slow photo transfer to computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Slow photo transfer to computer

I was transferring photos to PSE 12 on my IMac using a USB connector to the E5 when the transfer suddenly stopped. I suspected the battery had run out and changed it for another one. However, the transfer rate is now VERY slow - about 10 secs per photo. I have reformatted the CF card to no avail and tried a different card, also no difference. Has anyone had any similar occurrence and is there a fix? Also the transfer light illuminates as if it is transferring data, but when this light is on the computer cannot connect to the camera.

Re: Slow photo transfer to computer

possibly a silly question but have you tried uploading from a card reader? That would a least pin down where the problem lies, or at least rule out the computer.

Comment

No I don't have a card reader, but I have tried uploading from my EPL 5 and that worked fine. The camera still takes pictures OK, but unless I get an external card reader I am not able to upload the photos. I was hoping that there might be a magical reset combination of buttons that someone might know, but it does look like a visit to the repair shop. Just in time for Xmas!!

Comment

Are the photos large raw or jpeg files?

Comment

Large RAW.

Comment

That explains it I think!
            Cheers, Rob

Comment

Not sure what you mean Rob. The problem is not with the size of file. The camera was uploading photos to the computer normally when it stopped. The transfer light kept flashing, but the computer said the camera was disconnected. Now when I try to connect the camera the transfer light flashes, but the camera will not connect.

Comment

Have you tried to connect the camera to another computer to see if there is any difference?
                Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
                M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

No, I do not have another computer. However, I have tried another camera on the same computer which worked fine so I think we can discount the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by gbuckley View Post
                    Not sure what you mean Rob. The problem is not with the size of file. The camera was uploading photos to the computer normally when it stopped. The transfer light kept flashing, but the computer said the camera was disconnected. Now when I try to connect the camera the transfer light flashes, but the camera will not connect.
                    I thought you just had a slow problem. If you are getting a message saying the camera is not connected then I would try:
                    Switch off the camera and then carefully connect with the usb cable and switch it on again.
                    If there is still a problem you might have a faulty usb cable or the usb socket on the camera is damaged.

Comment

More info on this problem. I recharged a battery overnight and when I tried to transfer photos in RAW the transfer was perfect and I thought it must have been a low charged battery. However, I tried to transfer again just to make sure and the transfer now was very slow, about 10 secs per RAW file. When I tried again the camera disconnected itself from the computer and the camera data transfer light kept flashing as if it was transferring data. The camera on/off switch would not turn the camera off and it appeared frozen. The only way to unfreeze the camera was to disconnect the USB cable. I do not have a spare USB cable and so I think that my next port of call will be to try a new cable, but it doesn't seem to be an intermittent type of fault just something that gets progressively worse.

Comment

Each time you try are you starting with the camera off, connecting to the computer and then turning the camera on? Or are you connecting to the computer with the camera already turned on?

Comment

Rob, I have tried every combination I can think of. I am convinced it is an interface problem with the computer. The only thing I have done to the computer before this problem started was install a firmware update for my EPL-5, but I shouldn't have thought this has any bearing on the matter. Sometimes I connect the E-5 and the select storage and the monitor says please wait, but then nothing happens. I am then able to switch the camera off normally and try again. At other times the camera freezes with the data transfer light flashing, but no data is transferred. In this case the only way to turn the camera off is to unplug the USB cable. The EPL-5 works perfectly normal. The E-5 does not......

Comment

Sorry but sounds like your usb connection/ socket maybe the problem. I always use a card reader connected to my computer. My epson printer has a card slot and this works well. There are lots of cheap card readers on the market.
                            Rob

Comment

Rob, many thanks. I too have an Epson printer and I completely forgot it had a CF card reader. That work around works fine. Thanks for the advice.....

Comment

Working...
                              X