Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's a noisy lass

Hi just wanted to check something.

Just wondering if it's just me or are all SLRs this noisy when the shutter clicks. (Yes I disabled the sound LOL )

Because my old S7000 obviously wasn't that noisy, and I've used a D90 and several manual SLRs before and I don't remember them being this noisy. Of course it could just be me.

It's just that I was thinking, since it styled itself as a travel camera it would be quieter then it is LOL People can still hear it up to 3+ meters away.

Re: She's a noisy lass

It's not just you. Different cameras have different shutter sounds. Even across the Olympus line, there are different shutter/mirror mechanisms. The E-4XX/5XX series are louder than most DSLRS, and have a 'motor whirring' sound to the mirror/shutter that it a bit unusual.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

I can confirm my E330 and E510 have noisy shutters... I cant sneak up on anyone or anything!! very frustrating... especially when you are trying to take sleepy animal pics. One click and they spring awake, give me a rude look and go somewhere quieter.
      E3, E330. 12-60mm, 50-200mm, FL36R, FL50R. EX 25, and a few odds and ends .

Comment

So why is it that it's noiser then say the higher end models. I would have thought people would be more excepting the louder shutter at the higher models. I mean if you're a fashion photographer I'm sure people love the reassure snap that it brings. Or the higher FPS requires a better moter system.

Anyone got any theories on that motor (strange high pitch whine) during a snap?

Ha ha, Wulfy I know what you mean. Occasionally I take snaps of people during conversation but after the first snap all eyes are on the camera.... LOL

Ha! It could be a new Oly feature 'Ultra Silent Shutter Design' LOL

Comment

lol exactly!! hard for close range candids for that reason... especially if you're trying to capture friends who hate photos of themselves lol. or ones that decide everytime they know you're taking apicture, pull a funny face. Its so hard to get a nice photo among the younger generations these days

Comment

Why is noisy cheaper?
            Because it costs more to make it quiet
            PAul

Comment

ha ha, makes sense I guess. But still the noise seems to negate the portability.

I'm gonna try modifying a bag so I can shoot from the inside of it. Maybe that'll solve some of the problems Here hoping

Comment

When it comes to noise I would be surprised if there is any DSLR as good as the E1.

Phil- www.phildrakephotography.co.uk
                E1, 14-54mm, 50mm Macro, 40-150mm

My website: www.phildrakephotography.co.uk

Comment

It partly has to with mass that dampens the noise of the shutter + mirror and their vibrations.
                  Dust and rain proofing (E3) helps too, because the sound stays partly in the body of the camera.

Focal Plane shutters, as used in our E's are noisier than the leaf shutters used in Large Format camera's.
                  At times you wonder if the shutter has gone off with one of those big camera's....

For real silent camera's try the compacts with the sound turned of, that's how I photograph my cat.

Peter

Comment

After a Leica M series every SLR sounds like a steam hammer (ducks to avoid missiles and howls of derision)

Comment

In comparison the beeps and pips and squeaks and artifical shutter sounds in point and shoot cameras drives me crazy lol... one of our friends was using one at a wedding recently...

Comment

Eeep, can't stand the articifcial beeping. Why in heavens name do people do that??

After a Leica M series every SLR sounds like a steam hammer (ducks to avoid missiles and howls of derision)
                        I wouldn't mind a Leica, willing to donate one to me

Ok so it's established the E1 is pretty good with shutter noise. What about the new E-620?? Does that have noise issues as well?

Comment

Originally posted by hschnee View Post
                          The E-4XX/5XX series are louder than most DSLRS, and have a 'motor whirring' sound to the mirror/shutter that it a bit unusual.
                          lol, it's all a matter of perspective. Listen to my E-510 shooting next to my buddy's Canon 5D, and you'll be asking him if his camera is okay after that shot.
                          Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by WulfysKingdom View Post
                            lol exactly!! hard for close range candids for that reason... especially if you're trying to capture friends who hate photos of themselves lol. or ones that decide everytime they know you're taking apicture, pull a funny face. Its so hard to get a nice photo among the younger generations these days
                            I've got a particular sister-in-law who has ruined more good photos of other people because she doesn't like her picture taken. She'll duck her head or put her hand in front of her face when she isn't the object of the photo but is in it nonetheless. Very frustrating!

Jeff
                            My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
                            For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
                            http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
                            https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Comment

A friend of mine uses an old pentax 67 now that had some mirror noise, you think someone just let a shotgun off next to you

stilll you never lose track of where she is shooting on a meet
                              Dave - Funkyoldcortina
                              www.funkyoldcortina.com
                              www.flickr.com/photos/funkyoldcortina

Comment

Working...
                              X