Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advises for taking photos at ISO 1600 with E420 with kit lenses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any advises for taking photos at ISO 1600 with E420 with kit lenses?

OK - see what you are doing; and that's a great image.

you are using all the DR available so forget pushing the exposure (to avoid having to push anything in post which is where noise gets created)

iso 100 and expose as best you can (or even HDR...but not for an HDR look)
    E-P1, OMD E-M1, E400
    7-14/12-50/12-60/14-42/17/30(1.4)/35-100/40-150/45/50/50-200
    ec14/ec20/ex25/MMF-1, MMF-3/ RF11/FL50Rs/FL36R/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post

you are using all the DR available so forget pushing the exposure (to avoid having to push anything in post which is where noise gets created)

Indeed - the HDR process by default gives a very neutral contrast image. All my tonemapped images come from single shots, and all my 'smooth' photos are 7 shots HDR merged! I persoanlly think this is your best option for sunsets - you can't get enough dynamic range in a singleshot for them. Maybe get yourself a gorillapod and wrap it round that fence there?
      Bodies:
      Panny GH1 + OM2-SP + Pentax ME & LX
      Lenses:
      Lumix G 14-45mm, OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8, OM Zuiko 24mm f2.8, OM Vivitar 135mm f2.8, SMC-M 40mm f2.8, SMC-M 50mm f1.7, PKA Vivitar 19mm F3.8, Konica AR 40mm f1.8, MD Rokkor 45mm F2, Teleplus 2x Macro converter OM+MD

My New Blog:
      Dark & Industrial Photography & my Flickr

Comment

I think the tripod is in play already Alan!
        E-P1, OMD E-M1, E400

Comment

Thank you, that's very kind of you. However, I'm not quite happy with the overblown lights of the buildings on the far side but if I reduce the exposure the picture would be underexposed so I couldn't find a better solution and agreed on a compomise with the overexposed lights in order to have well exposed whole image.
          As for the HDR I will give it a try next time when I take night photos.

Originally posted by Alan Clogwyn View Post
          Indeed - the HDR process by default gives a very neutral contrast image. All my tonemapped images come from single shots, and all my 'smooth' photos are 7 shots HDR merged! I persoanlly think this is your best option for sunsets - you can't get enough dynamic range in a singleshot for them. Maybe get yourself a gorillapod and wrap it round that fence there?
          I was using a tripod there. Unfortunately it was my old tripod that simply is not high enough /even with the single rod extender which I prefer not to use as it seems to me to be affected by the wind if there is such/. That's why you see the fences. If I had a higher tripod they would not be in the picture.

Comment

In some cases the 2nd curtain flash would work well - you can reduce exposure time to keep background lights under control and flash will make foreground bright
            E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Comment

Originally posted by 420 View Post
              Thank you, that's very kind of you. However, I'm not quite happy with the overblown lights of the buildings on the far side but if I reduce the exposure the picture would be underexposed so I couldn't find a better solution and agreed on a compomise with the overexposed lights in order to have well exposed whole image.
              As for the HDR I will give it a try next time when I take night photos.
              It sometimes seems as if the worlds against a shot - here you don't have enough DR to capture both colour in the highlights and anything in the shadows. Pushing the shadows in post will simply create 'noise' because you don't have enough (any) data in those bits.

The good news is that after you have done your 'proper' exposure at 100 and long etc you can probably get a good exposure for the highlights with 400 (but then again it's probably not worth the saving in shutter speed).

I suspect you need at least 5 stops to cover off the brightest bits - and then again this is goign to depend on the ambient levels (which is the only alternative approach without multiple exposures - shoot with sufficient ambient that the total DR is covered!)

Shame I don't commute to town anymore or I could lend you a decent tripod - I seem to have acquired far to many over the years! What are you using at the moment?
              E-P1, OMD E-M1, E400

Comment

I think that you have done a marvelous job and I can understand why you wanted this shot. It is a great image and as for the fence... I like it in the shot and ,in my humble opinion, it might be a little less without it.

Jeff
                My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
                For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
                http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
                https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Comment

Originally posted by throt View Post
                  In some cases the 2nd curtain flash would work well - you can reduce exposure time to keep background lights under control and flash will make foreground bright
                  Haven't thought about this so far. Will have to see what can I do with comparatively close objects and an external flash.

It sometimes seems as if the worlds against a shot - here you don't have enough DR to capture both colour in the highlights and anything in the shadows. Pushing the shadows in post will simply create 'noise' because you don't have enough (any) data in those bits.

The good news is that after you have done your 'proper' exposure at 100 and long etc you can probably get a good exposure for the highlights with 400 (but then again it's probably not worth the saving in shutter speed).

I suspect you need at least 5 stops to cover off the brightest bits - and then again this is goign to depend on the ambient levels (which is the only alternative approach without multiple exposures - shoot with sufficient ambient that the total DR is covered!)

Shame I don't commute to town anymore or I could lend you a decent tripod - I seem to have acquired far to many over the years! What are you using at the moment?
                  I have a Hama Star 75 now /125 cm. when fully extended which is approximately 4 ft. 1 / and will probably get an Hama Star 63 /166 cm. fully extended which is approximately 5 ft. 5 / in order to fix the issue with tripods for the moment.

Originally posted by Ians Tata View Post
                  I think that you have done a marvelous job and I can understand why you wanted this shot. It is a great image and as for the fence... I like it in the shot and ,in my humble opinion, it might be a little less without it.

Jeff
                  Thanks. That fence is a little higher than you could normally expect. I guess it had to be in the picture after all. We will see what will happen with the new tripod. I'm starting to think that 166 cm. /approx 5 ft. 5 / is not going to be high enough, too.

Comment

Working...
                  X