Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advises for taking photos at ISO 1600 with E420 with kit lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advises for taking photos at ISO 1600 with E420 with kit lenses?

Hello,
    I have E420 with kit lenses which is currently limited to ISO 800 but this reflects badly on taking pictures during sunset and night. I try to avoid high iso with this camera as I know that at ISO 1600 it will produce a lot of noise which I'm trying to avoid. However, since I want to take photos during night I will have to allow it since at ISO 800 the picture takes a lot of time to expose and the pictures became too blurry if I don't use a tripod. I know that a better lenses could improve this a little bit, but currently this is not an option. So finally does anybody have any experience with taking photos at ISO 1600? Any advices?

Re: Any advises for taking photos at ISO 1600 with E420 with kit lenses?

Hi and welcome. Just try it! Try to avoid under-exposure and very dark areas. The results will be better than you think - especially if you print the pictures.
    Stephen - www.flickr.com/photos/argyllphotos
    Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, Zenza Bronica, and an ever-changing nest of lenses

Comment

I would suggest a Tripod would be your bets investment really. As youcrank up the ISO not only do you get noise, but you loose dynamic range and tonal range so you start to loose all the wonderful colours and light that I would assume you're trying to get at sunset.

Try keeping the aperture lower down too - f5.6 is plenty on the 14-42 to give a good result even of a landscape.
      Bodies:
      Panny GH1 + OM2-SP + Pentax ME & LX
      Lenses:
      Lumix G 14-45mm, OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8, OM Zuiko 24mm f2.8, OM Vivitar 135mm f2.8, SMC-M 40mm f2.8, SMC-M 50mm f1.7, PKA Vivitar 19mm F3.8, Konica AR 40mm f1.8, MD Rokkor 45mm F2, Teleplus 2x Macro converter OM+MD

My New Blog:
      Dark & Industrial Photography & my Flickr

Comment

Get the exposure spot-on. 4/3rds cameras perform better at high ISO's than many people assume but there is very little exposure latitude. You have to get it right. If you do the results will be better than you think.

Comment

I have taken many photos at 1600 with my E-510 and kit lenses with very good results. BUT any underexposure will bring on the noise. As for night shots, I would go with a tripod if possible.

Jeff
          My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
          For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
          http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
          https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Comment

Well then,
            I have a small tripod from my former camera that can hold up to 3 pounds and some ounces which I believe could be used before I get something better. I will limit the ISO to 400 and increase the exposure time up to 5 seconds /I'll have to experiment there/ while putting the focus to manual since the camera may not be able to automatically focus in low light. I am afraid that I may get some noise due to long exposure time but that is the best I can think of. What do you think of that? Any advices on how to avoid the noise?

P.S.
            Ians Tata, I like those illuminations that you have captured there:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-ta...n/photostream/
            I wonder how have you managed to take them at ISO 100. Perhaps the long exposure is not the only hocus-pocus?

Comment

Make sure you have "Noise Reduction" set to 'ON' (as opposed to "Noise Filter") - this removes dark-frame noise. The camera typically will show the card access light flickering for a further time (about the same time as the exposure length). Try also anti-shock set to 3 seconds (does the E-420 have this??) - this delays the exposure till after the mirror has flipped by 3 seconds to reduce camera vibration on the tripod.

Also, shoot in RAW so you can push the exposure as high as you dare (use the info button to check for highlight clipping - a little is okay as you can recover this from the RAW file, but obviously the sun is always going to be blown). This should help with shadow noise.

The dynamic range of the 420 is pretty good - about a stop better than the 510 and 410, and not far off the E-3, E-30 and E-5, so it should be fine.

Andy
              Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
              mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
              EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
              Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

I would agree with Andy's suggestion with the delayed shutter. You can create a lot of movement when you press the shutter and it will blur the photo with a long exposure. This is a problem that is different from not hand holding steady as it is a shorter duration and at the begining of the exposure.

Originally posted by 420 View Post
                Ians Tata, I like those illuminations that you have captured there:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-ta...n/photostream/
                I wonder how have you managed to take them at ISO 100. Perhaps the long exposure is not the only hocus-pocus?
                Thanks, I actually considered myself very lucky with those. Fireworks with a 3.2second exposure while sitting in a small speedboat anchored in the harbor (Lake Erie). ISO 100 to prevent the fireworks from being blown-out at an exposure long enough to show them in all their glory.

Jeff
                My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
                For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
                http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
                https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Comment

Originally posted by AndyElliott View Post
                  Make sure you have "Noise Reduction" set to 'ON' (as opposed to "Noise Filter") - this removes dark-frame noise. The camera typically will show the card access light flickering for a further time (about the same time as the exposure length). Try also anti-shock set to 3 seconds (does the E-420 have this??) - this delays the exposure till after the mirror has flipped by 3 seconds to reduce camera vibration on the tripod.

Also, shoot in RAW so you can push the exposure as high as you dare (use the info button to check for highlight clipping - a little is okay as you can recover this from the RAW file, but obviously the sun is always going to be blown). This should help with shadow noise.

The dynamic range of the 420 is pretty good - about a stop better than the 510 and 410, and not far off the E-3, E-30 and E-5, so it should be fine.

Andy
                  Currently the noise reduction is switched to AUTO which should turn the noise reduction on if a long exposure is used. The noise filter was set to standard as I expect to limit the ISO setting to 400 at all times.
                  I do not know to have optical stabilization /anti-shock/ on E420. E520 has it.
                  I will try with the delayed shutter - the options that I have are 2s and 12s though.
                  I always shoot in RAW with this camera but will have to experiment with the exposure.
                  I have made a few experimental photos at home at about 6 p.m. with the lights turned off and only the monitor illuminating the room on the side. The images that I received at ISO 800 appeared to be noisy no matter what I did /even at exposure of 10 seconds/. I have to try with the noise reduction placed at HIGH /it was at standard so far/ and also ISO 400 and below.

Originally posted by Ians Tata View Post
                  I would agree with Andy's suggestion with the delayed shutter. You can create a lot of movement when you press the shutter and it will blur the photo with a long exposure. This is a problem that is different from not hand holding steady as it is a shorter duration and at the begining of the exposure.

Thanks, I actually considered myself very lucky with those. Fireworks with a 3.2second exposure while sitting in a small speedboat anchored in the harbor (Lake Erie). ISO 100 to prevent the fireworks from being blown-out at an exposure long enough to show them in all their glory.

Jeff
                  Thanks,
                  I have to experiment with low ISO and long exposure. Perhaps this will eliminate some of the noise that I get during long exposures.

Comment

Hi, follow AndyElliott`s advice. Also why not try ISO 100 if you can keep your camera steady i.e. on a tripod or a solid surface or even resting on a bean bag. Also try F8 or F11 on a long exposure at ISO 100, making sure you have focused correctly first. Its very much trial and error. Try different shutter speeds at the same F number and ISO on Manual setting after all its digital and not like you`re wasting film. Remember if there isn`t any light (dark areas) you will get noise even at low ISO settings and that applies to any camera, full frame or whatever. Getting the exposure right and picking the scene/picture composition are crucial.
                    You can always take several exposures for highlights and mid tones and shadows and merge them together to form an HDR (High Dynamic Range) picture but to do this you need to make sure your camera doesn`t move during the exposures.
                    Above all have fun experimenting.
                    Andrew.

Comment

If you're using your camera on a tripod (especially a cheaper one with a plastic head) for slow exposures & you don't have a cable release, then the timer delay of 2 or 12 secs is necessary & also anti-shake for 3 secs (shutter delay) which is in the menu of an E410 & should be for the E420 too & at least the exposure won't be blurry from movement (assuming there is no breeze affecting the tripod).
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Another option is to take two or more exposures and stack them in photoshop - noise should be considerably reduced.

Andy
                        Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
                        mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
                        EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
                        Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

Originally posted by AndyBeeson View Post
                          Hi, follow AndyElliott`s advice. Also why not try ISO 100 if you can keep your camera steady i.e. on a tripod or a solid surface or even resting on a bean bag. Also try F8 or F11 on a long exposure at ISO 100, making sure you have focused correctly first. Its very much trial and error. Try different shutter speeds at the same F number and ISO on Manual setting after all its digital and not like you`re wasting film. Remember if there isn`t any light (dark areas) you will get noise even at low ISO settings and that applies to any camera, full frame or whatever. Getting the exposure right and picking the scene/picture composition are crucial.
                          You can always take several exposures for highlights and mid tones and shadows and merge them together to form an HDR (High Dynamic Range) picture but to do this you need to make sure your camera doesn`t move during the exposures.
                          Above all have fun experimenting.
                          Andrew.
                          According to my experiments outside during nighttime /6 p.m./ the camera seems to like ISO 100 with long exposure /4 to 5 seconds/ most. Of course that's for static objects /bicycles passing by leave unwanted light "tails". I am still getting noise as you have suggested /which is quite irritating/.
                          As for the HDR I guess that I'll leave it for the future. I still need to manage night photos during low light. So far I am trying the ISO 100 plus long exposures up to 10 seconds with camera based on a tripod and 2 seconds delay with the self-timer.
                          As for the focusing I'm trying the C-AF+MF which has provided good results during my experiments. Any other variants for the focusing during low lights please do feel free to share.

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                          If you're using your camera on a tripod (especially a cheaper one with a plastic head) for slow exposures & you don't have a cable release, then the timer delay of 2 or 12 secs is necessary & also anti-shake for 3 secs (shutter delay) which is in the menu of an E410 & should be for the E420 too & at least the exposure won't be blurry from movement (assuming there is no breeze affecting the tripod).

Yes, there is an anti-shock in E420. I finally found it. Until now I thought that it was optical stabilization of the whole camera /which the camera hasn't/ while in fact it appears to be a simple delay used to lower the negative impact of the mirror movement. Isn't 3 seconds too much? It was off until now and I believe that I have managed to catch some acceptable pictures without turning it on.
                          Last edited by 420; 5th January 2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

MLU - antishake etc - is designed to let the relatively light camera stabilise after the mirror has flipped; that's why the 3 seconds. It's used for landscape shots but obviously has limited use if you are involving moving elements in your long exposures. At 10 secs you could also just stabilise the camera manually as you release the shutter and, quite frankly, the actual exposure contribution from any brief movement within the overall exposure will be tiny anyhow (which is why you haven't noticed it).

You've got to ISO 100 through your experiments, this is where you should be shooting the 420 for these shots. You may get further benefits shooting RAW and increasing the EV adjustment by up to +1.3, then bringing the exposure back in post processing. If you have a relatively low DR in your shots (ie the exposure lattitude permits this without blowing any other elements) then this will also reduce noise in the shadows. Better still would be to take multiple exposures and stack them in post (this is not HDR) - as already suggested.

Good luck and please post some output.
                            E-P1, OMD E-M1, E400
                            7-14/12-50/12-60/14-42/17/30(1.4)/35-100/40-150/45/50/50-200
                            ec14/ec20/ex25/MMF-1, MMF-3/ RF11/FL50Rs/FL36R/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Comment

OK, I'll switch the anti-shock to 3s.
                              I'll have to experiment with EV increase and then post processing it. Doesn't this create noise? I have the feeling that I almost always get some noise in case that I edit a photo with Olympus Master so I only transform the raw image to JPEG or some other format. Usually this is a hidden noise in an underexposured photo but I have the feeling that some of the noise just comes out of nowhere.
                              As for the stacking I will have to experiment there as I have not made that before.
                              I am attaching a photo but that is from the first experiments, I am currently busy and will have to experiment further.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X