Adaptors for early pentax srew mount lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Adaptors for early pentax srew mount lenses

Hi, has anybody any experience with using adaptors with the E420. I have 2 nice super Takumar lenses from a Spotmatic F. that I would like to use on my E420.:cheers John

Re: Adaptors for early pentax srew mount lenses

I have an E410 as well as an E3 and have used adapted lenses with both. There should be no technical issues with using your Takumars on the E420. However, because the E4xx and E5xx series have rather dim viewfinders, I recommend you get an adapter with an AF confirm chip to ease the focusing.

Use Aperture priority mode and the camera should work out the exposure for you. I find most manual focus lenses overexpose a bit and the over-exposure gets worse as the lens is stopped down. Thus, you will probably find you will need -1/3 to -1EV of exposure compensation with the lens depending on aperture. But you will need to do your own tests to check this.

Also, you may find the performance is not too good when wide open. This is because there is a lot of diffusely scattered light from the full-frame image circle that is picked up by the sensor. This effect is worse with wide angle lenses. A standard 50mm f1.8 lens usually works very well by f2.8. At f4 my humble 15 OM 50mm f1.8 lens is sharper than my ZD12-60SWD!! I have no personal experience of Takumars, so you will have to do some tests to see how each lens performs at at different apertures.

I strongly encourage you to get the adaptor, as shooting with a nice manual focus prime lens is very rewarding. Manual focus lenses are definitely very useable. Last weekend at Donington Park I used only my OM 300mm f4.5 lens; the ZD50-200 SWD stayed in the bag!
    E-M5 | E-M1 | mZD 9-18 | mZD 12-40 | mZD 12-50 | mZD 40-140 | mZD 75-300 | mZD 45 f1.8 | Panasonic-m 14 f2.5 | Panasonic-m 20 f1.7 | Panasonic-m 25mm f1.4 |

E3 | ZD 14-54 Mk1 | ZD 50-200SWD | ZD 35 Macro | Panaleica 25mm | Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro |

Comment

I have a 35mm,50mm and 135mm Takumar that I use on an E510 with an adapter from E Bay ( about $30 ). They all work beautifully, focusing is something that you get used to. There is a bit of a yellow cast from my lenses probably the difference in coatings used but it can be easily corrected. The lenses themselves are beautiful, there is a quality that modern lenses can't match, and the sharpness is superb.
      Go for the adapter, you won't regret it.

Bill
      E510, 14-42,14-54, 50-200, EC1.4, FL36R

Comment

Hi thanks for the info on the adaptors very usefull info, Bill can you give me the name of the adaptor you bought on ebay?
        cheers John.

Comment

Hi John. I bought a Fotodiox adapter. I avoided the $7 Hong Kong adapters since I wasn't sure about infinity focus. The adapters in the $20 range mostly guarantee infinity focus which is important. I also prefer something sold from the US.

There are lots on E Bay, from $7 to $150. I found mine works well.

Bill

Comment

Hi Byll, I found the fotodiox site and they do look better quality units so I'll probably go for them especially as our $ is almost 1 for 1with the US $ at the moment. Canyou also fill me in on what is meant by infinity focus?

Comment

Hi jtay. Infinity focus is the ability to focus accurately at "infinity" or the far distance in a scene. Some adapters (some of the cheaper ones) are not machined accurately enough to accomplish this full range of focus and can focus only out to say 20 feet or so and leave anything beyond that distance blurred. For closer work this may not be a problem but it limits sharpness in subjects such as landscapes etc.

My adapter focuses out to infinity, accurately enough that two stops down from wide open I have sharpness out to the photo's horizon.

Bill

Comment

I agree that cheaper adaptors may not be accurate at infinity but generally the problem is that they have a safety margin built in and focus past infinity. This isn't a problem if you want to use the LCD screen all the time but it makes focusing using the lens focus scale inaccurate. It also loses a little bit off the near focus range.

Comment

Working...
                X