Help needed in the recording mode.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed in the recording mode.

Thank you all for helping me out decide in using a CF card over something that is obsolete.

I'm kind of confused how many megapixels would a picture be when recorded using each format (RAW+JPEG, RAW, SHQ, HQ, SQ)? Is it safe to assume that the number of megapixels would be a result of multiplying the figures stated in the users’ manual for JPEG, RAW, SHQ (3648 × 2736) = 9.980928 megapixels and HQ would be (3200 × 2400) = 7.68 megapixels? Hope you guys can help me again. Thanks

Re: Help needed in the recording mode.

The megapixels correlates to the resolution of the picture. The resolution corresponds to the dimensions of the picture - 3200x2000, for example, is a resolution, and it represents 3200 pixels by 2000 pixels.

Knowing that, there is no difference between the settings you've dictated. You'll always be taking shots at 10 megapixels. (Sometimes there's a slight difference in pixels between RAW and JPEG; I'm not sure of the exact reason for this, but have some theories - either way, it's nothing to worry about.) If you try to calculate it out yourself, don't - 10 megapixels is an approximation, and I believe it's actually 10.1 megapixels if you go to a single decimal.

But that was all background. Here's what you wanted to know: RAW format represents the raw data captured by the sensor, with none of the camera's post-processing. JPEG takes the raw data and modifies it a bit to make the picture look a bit better. The camera does a very good job with this 99% of the time. The JPEG modes is what you seem curious about. SHQ, HQ, and the other "Q" settings represent the "quality" of the picture. JPEG is a lossy compression format for images; the less you compress, the more detail is preserved, but the larger the filesize will be, and vice versa. SHQ uses as little compression as possible; HQ uses a bit more compression, and it goes all the way down to the lowest setting, which will use the most compression (and thus, the most detail will be lost). If you're a Photoshop user (or use similar programs), note that you have the same capabilities when you're saving your own JPEGs. You can think of JPEG compression as MP3 bitrate, if that makes it easier; an MP3 encoded at 192 kbps will have better quality but be larger in file size than one at 64 kbps. MP3 is a lossy format for audio; heavier compression means you're losing more.

The JPEG can be resized downward by the camera as a further filesize-saving measure. That has nothing to do with the "quality" (compression) settings, though - instead, you have the ability to choose the resolutions. This doesn't mean that fewer pixels are being used on the sensor; it just means that the camera takes the full picture, and then the camera resizes it to be smaller.

Actually, when I moved from the E-410 to the E-520 I noticed that Olympus changed the menu settings for all of these. Instead of the quality settings and resolution settings, you now choose things like "Large Fine" or "Large Normal" (or "Medium Fine" or "Small Fine"), where large/medium/small dictates the resolution (large is not resized, whereas the other two or more are) and fine/normal and so forth represent the compression that the JPEG will undergo.

OK, I've gone off on a few tangents. To summarize, the quality settings only impact JPEG compression. Having the camera resize a JPEG does not mean that more or fewer pixels are being used on the sensor; it is purely a post-processing feature. And lastly, none of those settings effect RAW.
    Signatures have become gear lists?
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-P1 | ZD 70-300mm | ZD 50mm f/2.0 Macro | EX-25 | ZD 12-60mm SWD | Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro | Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.4 | FL-50R

Comment

Originally posted by jpmiloilo View Post
      Thank you all for helping me out decide in using a CF card over something that is obsolete.

I'm kind of confused how many megapixels would a picture be when recorded using each format (RAW+JPEG, RAW, SHQ, HQ, SQ)? Is it safe to assume that the number of megapixels would be a result of multiplying the figures stated in the users’ manual for JPEG, RAW, SHQ (3648 × 2736) = 9.980928 megapixels and HQ would be (3200 × 2400) = 7.68 megapixels? Hope you guys can help me again. Thanks
      the really really simple thing to do is shoot a 'normal subject' in each format and look at the resulting file size on your computer

that easy
      E-P1, OMD E-M1, E400
      7-14/12-50/12-60/14-42/17/30(1.4)/35-100/40-150/45/50/50-200
      ec14/ec20/ex25/MMF-1, MMF-3/ RF11/FL50Rs/FL36R/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Comment

Thanks guys. Now things are clear.

Comment

hi folks, may I add a question here. I switched my e-420 to raw mode, only to find I cant edit using CS3. I have I think, switched back to Jpeg mode but it doesnt say jpeg on the menu screen only large normal. Is this correct or should ot say "jpeg" somewhere.
          Thanks from a newbie.

Comment

Working...
          X