How to turn AF flash assist off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to turn AF flash assist off?

Aside from manual focus, which has been mentioned in this thread, you can also use a faster lens. I know this sounds a tad rich, but in case you do have the 2.8-3.5 14-54 around, try it. It usually just takes a pre flash to focus.

When you are zoomed on the 3.5-5.6 it takes some 4 flashes before the camera is happy. I always use manual focus in that case. Drives me nuts.

If they don't offer updates on the software, the service dept should allow you to pay the difference and upgrade to the supported version (410). That you should insist on. I don't think they have too many 400s out there. It wouldn't hurt them economically and they'd really benefit from customer support.

Comment

Yeah they won't be letting me pay the difference I'm afraid. They didn't even strike a conciliatory tone.

I wanted the flash active for a single flash without strobe so that I didn't blind my family and friend's when shooting in poor lighting conditions such as a pub.

I'll probably invest in a flash unit soon, but for the mean time i'm AFing, pop flash, switch to MF, take shot.

It gets the job done

Comment

Here's another way to prevent the (visually disturbing) pre-flashing. at least, I think it should work.

it doesn't switch off the pre-flash but it will make the flashing invisible for humans.

Get a piece of unexposed but developed 35mm film, cut it to size and put it in front of the popup flash. The IR of the flash will pass through the film, which is sufficient for the AF.

For the final picture, remove the film and shoot.

it's clumsy, but I think it could work out (although I haven't tried it myself 8-))

Comment

Sounds interesting, I'm going to give that a shot

Comment

Both the fl 36 and fl 50 have focus assist lamps, (red) that work very well.

Using the fl 50 I can shoot in total darkness and still get a good shot.

Jim

Comment

There is a menu selection under the first wrench. Set AF illumination to off and that should do the trick.

Cheers,

Burton

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                There is a menu selection under the first wrench. Set AF illumination to off and that should do the trick.

Cheers,

Burton
                Burton, on the E400 there is no such menu entry. either you have a different camera (e410 perhaps) or newer firmware than most people

Comment

Working...
                X