new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new toy

Having an M42 to 43rds adapter is one big party.

Recently I got a number of freebie lenses. One of them is a Zenit Helios-44 58mm F2 in M39 mount. So I had to get a M39->M42 adapter to fit it on the M42 adapter. Well, this lens is absolutely stunning. Okay, it's not the prettiest and the handling is typical for a russian lens, I think: set the aperture, then close the aperture manually with a different control. Focussing has a very long throw, but very accurate. The sharpness is surprisingly good, even wide open at F2. I think this may become my main portrait lens.

Here's an image of the lens mounted on my E-400. Samples taken with this lens will be posted in the very near future.

on second thought.. it looks rather pretty on the E-400 no?

Re: new toy

Glad you're enjoying the M42 lens party. I have quite a lot of M42 lenses and it's great fun trying out different ones. Try e-bay or a camera fair and you will find some absolute bargains like 300mm for 20 or less, giving you 600mm capability on your E400. Stick to primes for better quality. The Carl Zeiss Jena lenses are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by marcof View Post
      Having an M42 to 43rds adapter is one big party.

Recently I got a number of freebie lenses. One of them is a Zenit Helios-44 58mm F2 in M39 mount. So I had to get a M39->M42 adapter to fit it on the M42 adapter. Well, this lens is absolutely stunning. Okay, it's not the prettiest and the handling is typical for a russian lens, I think: set the aperture, then close the aperture manually with a different control. Focussing has a very long throw, but very accurate. The sharpness is surprisingly good, even wide open at F2. I think this may become my main portrait lens.

Here's an image of the lens mounted on my E-400. Samples taken with this lens will be posted in the very near future.

on second thought.. it looks rather pretty on the E-400 no?

What a brilliant idea - I will have to give it a go - thanks for lettings us know about it.

Comment

Ha, good stuff now I would be interested in some pictures you have made with it.

it's on my list of things to look for on "photo flee markets"

Quote from a German site for those interested (and fluent in german or webtranslators)

* Peleng A 2.8/17: Vollformatfischauge. Lebt im Schatten des bekannteren Zenitar 16mm.
        Mechanische Qualitaet deutlich besser. Optisch gleichauf (Schaerfer, aber ein bischen weniger kontrastreich).

* Mir-1 2.8/37: Ausserordentlich kontrastreich und scharf.

* Industar 61 L/Z 2.8/50: Schoenes Makro fuer kleines Geld. Seltsame Blendenform, aber ange-
        nehmes Bokeh. Gute Schaerfe, hoher Kontrast. Achtung: Kann radioaktive Glassorten enthalten.

* Helios-44 2/58: Zeiss Biotar-Nachbau. Aeltere Varianten deutlich besser als die neueren. Export-
        versionen schlechter als die fuer den lokalen Markt.
        Geheimtip: Helios-44-2 mit kyrillischer Beschriftung und 11 Blendenlamellen. Geht bei Ebay ueblicher-weise fuer einen Euro weg.

* Jupiter-9 2/85: Zeiss Biometar-Nachbau. Bei offener Blende weich, ab 5.6 knackscharf. Hoher Kontrast. Hervorragendes Portraitobjektiv fuer wenig Geld.

* Helios-40 1.5/85: Zeiss Sonnar-Nachbau. Das Objektiv ist Legende. Mehr braucht man dazu wohl nicht zu sagen. Leider selten und unangenehm teuer.

* Tair-11 2.8/133: Schaerfer und kontrastreicher als das 135er MC-Rokkor. Noch Fragen?
        Fruehe Varianten hatten 63(!) Blendenlamellen. Die urspruengliche Version hielt sich nicht lange, da sie zu teuer war. Das spaetere Tair-11A 2.8/135 ist nicht ganz so gut (11 Blendenlamellen, einfachere optische Rechnung), aber immer noch sein Geld (10-15 Euro) wert.

* Jupiter-6 2.8/180: Zeiss Olympia-Sonnar Nachbau. Optische Leistung dem 2/85er Jupiter-9 sehr aehnlich. Achtung: Das Objektiv ist riesig (14cm lang) und schwer (Mit Stativschelle rd. 2 Kilo)! Selten in gutem Zustand zu finden und dann sehr teuer (idR. teurer als das Original)

* Tair-3(A) 4.5/300: Das Objektiv des Photosniper. Kann mit Apo-Linsen nicht mithalten, ist aber
        fuer ein Non-Apo sehr ordentlich. Die Variante mit herkoemmlichem Fokussierring ist selten und
        teuer, die Sniper-Variante mit dem Fokussierknopf ist guenstiger, aber umstaendlicher zu bedienen.

So, enjoy the toy!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuifje View Post
          Ha, good stuff now I would be interested in some pictures you have made with it.

it's on my list of things to look for on "photo flee markets"

Quote from a German site for those interested (and fluent in german or webtranslators)

So, enjoy the toy!
          Just had time to use www.freetranslation.com re the site re the above before dashing off.

* Peleng A 2.8/17: Full format fish eye. Lives in the shadow of the better known Zenitar 16mm. Mechanical quality clearly better. Optically equal (more sharply, but an until e less rich in contrast).

* Me-1 2.8/37: Extraordinarily rich in contrast and sharply.

* Industar 61 L/Z 2.8/50: Beautiful macro for small money. Strange aperture form, but ange- nehmes Bokeh. Good sharpness, high contrast.
          Attention: Can radioactive glass sorts contain.

* Helios-44 2/58: Zeiss Biotar-reproduction. Older variants clearly better than the newer. Export versions worse than that for the local market. Secret hint: Helios-44-2 with kyrillischer inscription and 11 Blendenlamellen. More usually-wise goes away in Ebay for a Euro.

* Jupiter-9 2/85: Zeiss Biometar-reproduction. In open aperture yield, from 5.6 knackscharf. High contrast. Outstanding portrait lens for little money.

* Helios-40 1.5/85: Zeiss Sonnar-reproduction. The lens is legend. One does not need more to say in addition certainly. Unfortunately rarely and unpleasant expensively.

* Tair-11 2.8/133: More sharply and rich in contrast than the 135er MC-Rokkor. Yet questions? Early variants had 63 (!) Blendenlamellen. The original version did not hold itself long because it was too expensive. The later Tair-11A 2.8/135 is not very so good (11 Blendenlamellen, simpler optical calculation), but still its money (10-15 Euro) appraise.

* Jupiter-6 2.8/180: Zeiss Olympia-Sonnar reproduction. Optical achievement the 2/85er Jupiter-9 very similarly. Attention: The lens is gigantic (14cm long) and heavy (with tripod clamp rd. 2 kilos)! To find rarely in good condition and then very expensively (idR. more expensively than the original)

* Tair-3(A) 4.5/300: The lens of the Photosniper. Cannot with Apo-lenses keep up, is however very orderly for a Non-Apo. The variant with
          conventional Fokussierring is rarely and expensively to serve the Sniper-variant with the Fokussierknopf is more favorable, but more circumstantial.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Originally posted by Photocracy View Post
            Glad you're enjoying the M42 lens party. I have quite a lot of M42 lenses and it's great fun trying out different ones. Try e-bay or a camera fair and you will find some absolute bargains like 300mm for 20 or less, giving you 600mm capability on your E400. Stick to primes for better quality. The Carl Zeiss Jena lenses are pretty good.
            Yeah, I have the CZ Jena 135mm F3.5 .. it's a superb lens.

An underestimated lens also is the kenlock mc.tor 28mm F2.8. I never heard of this one before, until I got it (together with the above lens) but it performs very well. Surprisingly well even.

Comment

I love pre-set lenses: focus wide-open, turn the aperture until it doesn't go any further, shoot. Bizarrely, it's a great se for dSLRs. The Mir 37mm is fantastic:

And beautifully crisp, highly saturated images too:

Comment

Here's another list of M42 lenses including a couple of tilt/shifts;

http://www.kremlinoptics.com/catalog...t__lenses.html

Googling one of the more obscure lenses on the list will find other dealers selling a similar range of lenses.
                It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Comment

today I took some snapshots with my E400 and the Helios.
                  observations:
                  - sharpness is very good, even wide open
                  - DOF is beautiful
                  - focussing is a breeze
                  - it can't handle shooting straight into the sun very well.

some samples:

I tend to prefer B&W though
                  The last one has a very "vintage" feel to it.. at least, I think so..

Comment

Fantastic samples! My favourite is the first one.

Comment

Lovely pictures Marcof, really nice. The second one looks as if it's been taken by a famous photographer, not sure of the name though - Frank somebody or other?

Interesting to see the lenses too, maybe it's something I should actually try because I was given a couple of OM primes.
                      - my site -

Comment

special shots! 1&4 have me doubting if I like them and looking back a couple of times. And I guess that makes it interesting shots to begin with! I like the "vintage" feel of 4, I shot some T3200 B/W and, odly enough, the B/W film seemed to have a lower contrast. The darker outside are a bit to much for me and have me curious whether this is darkened in post processing or strait out of camera (what will be dififcult to control if not intended..)

#1 The bricks on the lower left come out really nice and even, so I don't think it does that bad shooting in the sun.. is the tree softened or is this the "look"the lens gives? (the white dot on the right of the tree may disapear, but i guess it would be difficult to clone out). Love the large size of the picture and I think it could do really well as a large print

#4 the holding hands make it special.

Nice shots!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuifje View Post
                          special shots! 1&4 have me doubting if I like them and looking back a couple of times. And I guess that makes it interesting shots to begin with! I like the "vintage" feel of 4, I shot some T3200 B/W and, odly enough, the B/W film seemed to have a lower contrast. The darker outside are a bit to much for me and have me curious whether this is darkened in post processing or strait out of camera (what will be dififcult to control if not intended..)

#1 The bricks on the lower left come out really nice and even, so I don't think it does that bad shooting in the sun.. is the tree softened or is this the "look"the lens gives? (the white dot on the right of the tree may disapear, but i guess it would be difficult to clone out). Love the large size of the picture and I think it could do really well as a large print

#4 the holding hands make it special.

Nice shots!
                          I've added vignetting to #4, the first image is heavily B&W post-processed but nothing really added like vignetting.
                          Here's the original of #1, as you can see the dark edges on the top are already there. It's because I had my hand over the lens trying to work as a sunshade. The contrast improved quite a lot, but as you can see it was still quite flat and bright. I've not softened the tree, I guess it's a matter of DOF working here (I think this was shot at F5.6 or maybe even F4)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by marcof; 10th February 2008, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I have practically the same combo.
                            The focusing is not easy, but the shallow depth of field is worth it.
                            Just have to use it on subjects that do not require much sharpness.

Rainer

Comment

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post

...Early variants had 63 (!) Blendenlamellen.

Blendenlamellen = iris blades. 63 is a pretty impressive engineering feat!
                              Regards,
                              Stephen

My website: australisimages.com

EM-1, E-3, E-500 | ZD 12-40mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm, 70-300mm, 60mm Macro, 35mm Macro, 20mm Pany | FL50R & Metz 48 AF-1 Flash | Manfrotto tripod & monopod, Gorillapod

Comment

Working...
                              X