X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-by-u
    replied
    Re: Possible mechanical issues

I just can't believe an E-330 is now so cheap.

As for replacement, E-330 is the first of the E-system using the Panasonic sensor. It's also the first and last with an A mode Live view. (yes..I am still a great fan of this)

It's also the only camera that can use all the FL flash with it's internal flash together.

I do agree that the colors off this E-330 is unique. It's not that famous Kodak sensor (E-1, E-300 and E-400) and it's not the current E-system. it's somehow different.

I have just recently bought that E-5 but I am still keeping that E-330. That articulated Mode A Live view is one of the key points that I am still using it.

Leave a comment:

• throt
    replied

I will add a vote to E1 also - for the price it has it's a wonderful thing.

Leave a comment:

• fluffy
    replied

Now that's a new one for me. The mirror just fell out? Wow. My thoughts were along the lines of a battery problem. You say it's fine so I assume it's relatively new. Third party or Oly? Sometimes third party are bit off spec electrically or mechanically and can cause problems. Also check the contacts for the battery inside the camera. I assume these will be cleaned by your repairer and I'd not be surprised if that fixes the problem. The 105 actually has three controls: the two switches and the position of the outer lens barrel- it slides back and forth. The 105 is a fine autofocus lens as long as you remember to slide the lens barrel to the AF position as well as set the AF/MF switch to AF. And the limit control should be set to full if you want it to close focus. For macro work, where you want to manual focus, set the limit switch to full, the camera to MF, the lens AF/MF switch to MF and slide the lens barrel to MF. It's a fine macro lens.

Replacements: you should be able to find good 330s on eBay for very little. I don't know what the US to Aus dollar ratio is, but when I sell my 330 body (which will be sooner rather than later), I can't imagine getting anywhere near $250US for it. I bought it new a couple of years ago for not much more. Finally, let me second StephenL on the E-1. Got one recently for well under $150US (a bit beat up in looks, but perfect mechanically) and it takes spectacular photos that are of amazing quality. Also as big and heavy as it is reputed to be, it fits my hands very well, and I like the 510 and GH-1. It's a wonderful camera.

Leave a comment:

• WulfysKingdom
    replied

Thanks for the suggestions Ross. I know battery power is fine, but the contacts might be a good idea to try to see if that solves the lens clunking and the camera appearing to "short" out.

On an update on the issues - I was shooting a dance concert on the weekend and what should happen? The mirror fell out! Some more experienced photographers who I knew were also shooting at the same event and they recommended a local repairer who could check the camera and put the mirror back on providing it hadnt done any damage so $88 later its getting repaired for the mirror and basic clean. I told them about the dials playing up but it would cost more, and considering the camera is only worth $250 I'm just getting the mirror fixed for now. It was quite lucky as it came loose but didnt travel anywhere near the sensor or scratch it.

At this point in time I will just keep using the camera until it stop working completely and replace it with a newer Olympus when the time comes

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied

It sounds like bad contacts to the lens & battery etc with low voltage getting to the lens maybe. It would be worth cleaning the contacts (lens & battery contacts) with alcolhol (metho will work if wiped dry) on cotton buds. Use one end wet & the other dry. It just might be enough to reduce these problems, on the other hand, I could be barking up the wrong tree. :\

Leave a comment:

• WulfysKingdom
    replied

Thank you everyone for your help.

The lens issue is a bit of a worry, not sure if anyone has experienced this at all or knows what might be a cause of it? I should mention i've used the Sigma 30mm before on the E330, but dont know why the 105mm is playing up or vice versa (whether there's an issue with the E330 and that particular lens?)

The dodgy dials I can operate with still, it takes a few goes to get the right settings but not as bad as the whole camera shutting down and making noises with the 105 attached.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by WulfysKingdom View Post

It doesnt always respond properly to changing settings with the dial and exposure button. I can turn the dial and it refuses to change from apeture to shutter for example, or I can press down the exposure button and nothing happens, or the settings will jump around a bit (i.e. go straight to -2 when it's only programed in the settings to change -0.3 at a time).
    Most likely is the mode dial - sliding contacts etc, wear and tear, dirt, slight corrosion etc, might not be too expensive to fix.

I also concur with the suggestion of a DMC-L1 as a replacement (if you can;'t get another E330)
    Now! the DMC-L1 might be far from perfect, but it is just SO nice to use, it is a very well thought out camera ergonomically, deliver's great colours(as does the E330 as it's the same sensor ).
    7.5mpix can still cut the mustard unless you pixel peep rather than concentrate on composition....
    etc
    etc
    I'm trying not to make myself TOO obvious here......

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

If it's not too big, the E-1 produces lovely colours. Ignore the low megapixel count - that doesn't matter with this camera.

Leave a comment:

• ReggieB
    replied

Originally posted by WulfysKingdom View Post
    And my next question, if it's not worthwhile keeping the E330, which Olympus body would have similar image quality to the E330? I'm not very technical on sensors and things, but the richness and colour that comes from the E330 is very nice, yet the E510 and E3 that i've owned arent quite as nice.
    I am pretty sure only that and the DMC-L1 share that sensor (well, the Digilux 3, too). The E-500 was the previous Kodak CCD, as was the E-300. Then they pretty much immediately went over to the 10 MP sensor.

Leave a comment:

• WulfysKingdom
    replied

And my next question, if it's not worthwhile keeping the E330, which Olympus body would have similar image quality to the E330? I'm not very technical on sensors and things, but the richness and colour that comes from the E330 is very nice, yet the E510 and E3 that i've owned arent quite as nice.

Leave a comment:

• WulfysKingdom
    started a topic Possible mechanical issues

Possible mechanical issues

I purchased a 2nd hand E330 a few years back. It has worked ok up until a year ago. I'm not sure if this is a mechanical/electronics issue that can happen with digital cameras with age or whether it's a fault that's appeared in my particular camera.

It doesnt always respond properly to changing settings with the dial and exposure button. I can turn the dial and it refuses to change from apeture to shutter for example, or I can press down the exposure button and nothing happens, or the settings will jump around a bit (i.e. go straight to -2 when it's only programed in the settings to change -0.3 at a time).

It doesnt always do this, but it's becoming more frequent (at first I thought it was a battery charge issue, lower battery power equals less response, but that's not the case).

And very recently I purchased a sigma 105mm which works perfect on my E3, but on the E330 it plays up shockingly.

I know the Sigma has 2 switches and I read that they should be set to focus limited and MF and also the camera it's operating on to be set to MF too to avoid possible motor problems. But even then there are clunking noises coming from a motor somewhere and the failure of the E330 power (Yet on the E3 there's no problem at all which makes me think the E330 is contributing to the 105mm playing up, not the 105mm causing the problem).

Considering the age and the price I paid for the E330 would it be worthwhile keeping it until it dies completely and investing in a new body? I dont think I can justify sending it to olympus for repair (i'm in Australia - not sure of where to send it and the cost to repair)
Working...
X