Initial thoughts on the E-330...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial thoughts on the E-330...

I love this camera, if it had IS it would be perfect. What do I like about it?

* Live mode A - very useful in conjunction with the articulating LCD for awkward shots. I can get shots that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to unless I was a contortionist (which I'm not). The shutter lag is also minimal compared to live mode B.

*Live mode B - Useful for macro and precise manual focusing. I have it on my E-510 but never really used it. It comes into its own with the articulating screen.

* The look of it, not to everybody's taste but it grows on you and its different.

* The position of the OVF, I prefer it to the left as I get "nose clearance" from the body. I haven't got a big hooter but its definitely better.

* The articulating screen - I wouldn't buy another DSLR without one. Its especially useful for tripod work and aids composition no end.

* The metering - it seems very accurate to me.

* Quality of output - It may just be me but the images seem "better" than the E-510. This is very subjective and I can't really quantify it but the E-330 gives me really lovely images that I really like. Maybe its the less densely packed sensor, I don't know. I may change my opinion on this in time but I definitely like what I am getting from it.

* The ability to use the off camera flash and onboard flash simultaneously. I haven't used it yet but it makes the camera more versatile for me.

* Its robust, like all the Oly camera's I have owned but I have come to expect this.

What don't I like? well not a lot really with the exception of:

* Smearing on the LCD, not a deal breaker but it does require wiping quite a lot. I can live with it no problem.

* No IS but I knew that when I bought it.

Overall its now my favourite camera (with the E-1 but for totally different reasons ), mainly due to its versatility. I know I could have everything I want with an E-3 or E-30 but I can't afford either... or the divorce. Eventually I will succomb to one of those two but for the mean time the E-330 will do fine. Having said that neither of those two have Live mode A so perhaps I will have to wait a while longer.

I will post some shots shortly.
    http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Re: Initial thoughts on the E-330...

Excellent analysis of a super camera. Try one of the PanLeica IS lenses on it and bingo, IS camera. I keep the superb 14-150 on mine. Of course it adds something to the price.

And try a G-1. Many of the same excellent features in a smaller package.

Steve
    Steve

Comment

Steve - you bought a G1 no ? How are you getting on with it so far ? Thoughts ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
        Steve - you bought a G1 no ? How are you getting on with it so far ? Thoughts ?
        Reply moved to http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/sho...5663#post25663 s the 330 deserves its own thread.

Steve
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy View Post
          Excellent analysis of a super camera. Try one of the PanLeica IS lenses on it and bingo, IS camera. I keep the superb 14-150 on mine. Of course it adds something to the price.

And try a G-1. Many of the same excellent features in a smaller package.

Steve
          Steve, thanks for the kind words. I would love the 14-150 or the G1 but funds are a bit tight at the moment. I'm saving to get the 9-18mm for my E-330 so that will be my next acquisition.

Comment

Hear hear!

I purchased a 2nd hand 330 end of last year. I also own the 510.

I too am pleased with my photos from the 330.

I've been trying to understanding its workings better when using flash or the Fl36r and so far am not entirely happy with the results yet where as the 510 the fl36r work perfectly in harmony. The more i understand about the flash/camera relationship the easier it'll be whereas i was used to the 510 doing it for me

I've just put the 18-180 on the 330 which will be a challenge. I expect the best results will come from using it on a sunny day or with flash but it'll be interesting to see how it performs considering i didnt take the 18-180 off my 510 for a few months because i liked it more than the kit lenses... now i have the Sigma 30mm it lives on my 510
            E3, E330. 12-60mm, 50-200mm, FL36R, FL50R. EX 25, and a few odds and ends .

Comment

A couple of early pics

This one whilst out walking around Ramsbury Wilts

and this one whilst experimenting with my 70-210mm Vivitar Series 1

I like the very clean noise free images this camera produces at low ISO's. Particularly as the newer models seem to be better at high ISO but noise is present in the low range on some models.

Comment

Just because a camera is a couple of years old and has since been superceeded doesn't, as you've discovered, make it any less capable. Well done, Tony, for highlighting what an excellent camera the E330 still is and I hope you get many years enjoyment from it. IS apart, the E330 remains well specified even by today's latest standards and, as you point out, still possesses some unique features that have yet to be equalled.
                View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

John, thanks. I've been reading a lot lately about the debate between the importance of body's versus Lenses. It seems to me that although newer body's will always bring some minor improvements (High ISO performance for one) there always seems to be a compromise somewhere along the line and sometimes you lose as well as gaining ( if that makes any sense? ).
                  With this in mind I am concentrating more on improving my lens collection which I believe will help to improve my photography more than a newer body.
                  The E-330 fills a niche for me in terms of the flexibility it offers.
                  I couldn't afford/Justify the cost of an E-3/E-30 at the moment and the main reason for buying one would be the articulating screen. I know the newer models screens have a greater range of movement but they don't have liveview A mode so I'm really not missing out IMHO.
                  I have my E-510 if I need IS and an E-1 for weatherproofing. I know if I sold all three I could probably stretch to an E-3 body but then I would have no backup camera.
                  In time I will upgrade (most likely to the E-3) but for now I am enjoying using these fine "obsolete" tools and for my level of competence they are more than good enough. Having said that I'm not sure I could envisage ever parting with the E-330, at least not until liveview A mode is replicated elsewhere or until Oly produces its own micro 4/3's camera with the equivalent (or better) quality and functionality.

Comment

Good points. I still love my Panasonic L1, and it still sees use. I like it for its own reasons, and for its quirks. It is a beautiful camera, and while I only was in to film cameras for a short time before getting in to the digital age (I am still just a youngin), it gives me a cool chance to use a camera with a more analog feel, and I love it, I won't give that camera up. It takes great pictures, too!

Hope the 330 continues to perform for you!
                    ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieB View Post
                      Good points. I still love my Panasonic L1, and it still sees use. I like it for its own reasons, and for its quirks. It is a beautiful camera, and while I only was in to film cameras for a short time before getting in to the digital age (I am still just a youngin), it gives me a cool chance to use a camera with a more analog feel, and I love it, I won't give that camera up. It takes great pictures, too!

Hope the 330 continues to perform for you!
                      I was very tempted by the L1 as they are going for a steal these days but it was the LCD on the E-330 that swung it. I do really like the layout and look of the L1 and its another camera that I would consider a design classic and it offers something different. This is always something that has appealed to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X