Gearing up to join the E330 club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing up to join the E330 club

I've just ordered a 2nd hand E330 to use as a 2nd body (already have my E510).

I've been reading the comments about things that need fixed or updated, but just wondering if some users on here could give it's good points a bit of a boost or some dazzling pics lol
    E3, E330. 12-60mm, 50-200mm, FL36R, FL50R. EX 25, and a few odds and ends .

Re: Gearing up to join the E330 club

It's a great macro camera even without IS. The articulating screen is so useful it defies words. It's solid. The flash shoe is off center. Since I look at things on the screen and generally print 8.5 x 11, never bigger than 13 x19, the 7.5 MP is as good as 10 MP virtually all of the time. It feels wonderful in your hand with lenses as small as the 35 mm Macro and as big as the Panleica 14-150, which is the lens normally on it for the IS as much as the zoom and the excellent IQ (and it should be for the price). The only lens I don't like on it is the pancake 25. That is most comfortable on the 410, and a bit less good but OK on the 510. You'll need to get used to the menus and control layout, but they work well for me. I rarely do something (a button or whatever) accidentally. I do wish the tweener Oly will be coming out with has the look and form factor of the 330 and it better have an articulating screen of some kind.

Enjoy your new camera; it's a winner.

Steve
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by WulfysKingdom View Post
      I've been reading the comments about things that need fixed or updated,
      If you're talking about the comments written by me, I love the camera but to me it has a quirk that SHOULD be fixed by Olympus, but won't since to them it's "discontinued". The quirk being that the only way to access One Touch White Balance is through the Drive/FN button, and that means you can't have DOF preview on the same button...it's one or the other. Previous cameras had OTWB as a menu option, so it didn't need to take up a button.

I certainly wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying one, especially if you use Live View. You may love it so much it might become your primary camera...I only use the E-300 now for those times it's either stormy, or I'm afraid of being robbed.

Comment

That's cool, I know its talk about what should be fixed, not an E330 bashing session lol I just wanted to hear what good points/pics can be said/produced.

Counting down the days till it arrives is it normal to be excited about a 2nd hand / older model camera?

Comment

Still gearing up, absolutely itching to get my E330. I got a slip to collect it finally but I cant get it till the weekend *doh* lol.

Does anyone have a great pic that they love from theirs they could share with me in the meantime?

Comment

Taken as the sun was setting on the swamps outside of Orlando, Florida, this is the pilot of a swamp fan boat.

Taken in February 2006 with an E-330 and Digital Zuiko 18-180 f/3.5-5.6 10x zoom. ISO 400, f/8, 1/125th, -0.3 EV.

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

I have no E300 series experience but it seems to me that whichever E System body you choose it will get the job done. Nice one Ian.

Comment

This was from the summer in Toronto during the Jazz festival, E-330 14mm 2.5second HANDHELD (who needs IS):

Comment

I love the brilliant blues in your photo Ian

Bear - Yep, it seems any E system is pretty capable! lol I would own 1 of each if I could, just becuase I could lol

I agree with you there Mike - I didnt even realise on my E510 that I never turned my IS on till 5 months after I got it now that was an embarrassing moment. Clearly I did not buy the camera for its IS (thats my story and i'm sticking to it lol).

Comment

Well, after having an hour in the garden on the weekend I had a chance for a short play with my new/2nd hand E330.

I decided to pair it with my Sigma 30mm... here's some results. I hardly use live view on my 510, but I had much more fun using it on the 330 - it seems noticably quieter and faster (or did I imagine it?)

Comment

Working...
                    X