Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with E-330 + FL-50 TTL

Attention all E-330 + FL-50 users, please help:

I won a demo FL-50 from Cameta Auction and have trouble getting consistent results with my E-330. I've searched and followed EB's and Ben Hermann's recommendations at DPReview's forum but 80% of my shots with TTL Auto are underexposed by about 4 stops with the same subject, indoor-lighting condition, distance and camera's settings. When it under exposed, the flash would indicate good exposure by blinking 5 times. I tried the flash on my friend's E-330 and got the same inconsistent results. However, it works flawlessly in Auto mode every time on both E-330's. In Auto mode, there's full communication between E-330, lens & FL-50. Here are my settings:

FL-50: TTL Auto, CLP on (mounted directly on E-330), No FEC, Firmware V1.0

E-330: Auto or Fill Flash, Auto or fixed ISO, Auto WB, Aperture or Shutter or Program or Manual Exposure Priority, 0 Exp and Flash compensation, Firmware V1.2

Now another experiment confound me further. I've a friend who owns a Leica Digilux 3 (Panasonic DML1 clone) and a Metz 44 flash with a 4/3 TTL adapter. He's not getting correct exposure with his Metz TTL as well. So we swap our flashes:

My E-330 works well with his Metz TTL.
    His Digilux 3 works well with my FL-50 TTL.

Is there a matching or tolerance issue here?

Please help. Do you think my FL-50 is defective? TTL only works about 20% of my shots. I've sent sample shots to Olympus Australia but they have not get back to me yet.

Any one facing the same problem with E-330 and FL-50 TTL?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

PS: I've posted this problem at DPReview's Olympus DSLR forum but haven't received much response from E-330 + FL-50 users.

Re: Problem with E-330 + FL-50 TTL

Originally posted by JSimAust View Post
    Attention all E-330 + FL-50 users, please help:

I won a demo FL-50 from Cameta Auction and have trouble getting consistent results with my E-330. I've searched and followed EB's and Ben Hermann's recommendations at DPReview's forum but 80% of my shots with TTL Auto are underexposed by about 4 stops with the same subject, indoor-lighting condition, distance and camera's settings. When it under exposed, the flash would indicate good exposure by blinking 5 times. I tried the flash on my friend's E-330 and got the same inconsistent results. However, it works flawlessly in Auto mode every time on both E-330's. In Auto mode, there's full communication between E-330, lens & FL-50. Here are my settings:

FL-50: TTL Auto, CLP on (mounted directly on E-330), No FEC, Firmware V1.0

E-330: Auto or Fill Flash, Auto or fixed ISO, Auto WB, Aperture or Shutter or Program or Manual Exposure Priority, 0 Exp and Flash compensation, Firmware V1.2

Now another experiment confound me further. I've a friend who owns a Leica Digilux 3 (Panasonic DML1 clone) and a Metz 44 flash with a 4/3 TTL adapter. He's not getting correct exposure with his Metz TTL as well. So we swap our flashes:

My E-330 works well with his Metz TTL.
    His Digilux 3 works well with my FL-50 TTL.

Is there a matching or tolerance issue here?

Please help. Do you think my FL-50 is defective? TTL only works about 20% of my shots. I've sent sample shots to Olympus Australia but they have not get back to me yet.

Any one facing the same problem with E-330 and FL-50 TTL?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

PS: I've posted this problem at DPReview's Olympus DSLR forum but haven't received much response from E-330 + FL-50 users.
    I have the E-330 and FL-50 so I will try to replicate your problems and compare with other bodies. But to be honest, I usually experience over exposure of the subject, if anything.

It is worth noting that it is much easier to fool the exposure system of any camera system when using TTL flash metering. Although potentially the most accurate result should be available using TTL flash, you need to be very careful about what you are metering.

If, for example, you are photographing people in a room where the wall behind them is quite far back, or maybe you are outside at night and the background is dark, ESP metering mode is going to over-expose the foreground subject. This situation is much less common in day time or other situations where flash is not necessary.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Thanks, Ian, for your response.

When I mentioned 20% success rate and inconsistent results with TTL, it is done with the same subject, distance and lighting condition as well as camera & flash settings. It is the same with ESP, Spot or Centre-weighted exposure metering.

Please let me know your TTL results with E-330 compared to other bodies.

Comment

Finally, I think I've nailed the problem. I've been using rechargeable NiMh batteries in the FL-50. Although they are high-capacity (2500mAh & 2700mAh) as well as reputable brands, they don't work well consistently in TTL Auto. I believe it is due to a possible dip in capacity in between pre-flash TTL measurement and actual flash output during shutter release, a duration of milliseconds as someone pointed out. When I pop in the Sanyo Eneloop low-discharge 2000mAh batteries, TTL Auto works consistently all the time.

Comment

Older NiMh batteries can be a problem. They do not always recharge to the correct voltage or the voltage drops very quickly even though there is plenty of capacity. There are threads about this all over the place. I haven't had the problem with my FL-36 but I had Fuji S9600 camera which refused to work for more than 5 minutes with a freshly charged set. I put in a new set of eneloop and problems solved. I still use thes batteries in other small devices and they hold a good charge. I think the problem must related to the voltage not the available current.

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn R View Post
            Older NiMh batteries can be a problem. They do not always recharge to the correct voltage or the voltage drops very quickly even though there is plenty of capacity. There are threads about this all over the place. I haven't had the problem with my FL-36 but I had Fuji S9600 camera which refused to work for more than 5 minutes with a freshly charged set. I put in a new set of eneloop and problems solved. I still use thes batteries in other small devices and they hold a good charge. I think the problem must related to the voltage not the available current.
            I think this is a very good point - I have dozens of NiMHs and some are nearly ten years old and although my battery tester will often give known problematical batteries an indication of normal charge, they won't operate as expected.

I have an Ansmann smart charger and this has a discharge cycle built in and some of these problem batteries do respond to being cycled.

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
              I think this is a very good point - I have dozens of NiMHs and some are nearly ten years old and although my battery tester will often give known problematical batteries an indication of normal charge, they won't operate as expected.

I have an Ansmann smart charger and this has a discharge cycle built in and some of these problem batteries do respond to being cycled.

Ian
              The Fuji S9600 has a discharge cycle built into the camera I tried this four or five cycles but it still didn't work. So it is only partially succesful. The camera obviously was voltage sensitive, some gadgets do check the battery voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by JSimAust View Post
                Finally, I think I've nailed the problem. I've been using rechargeable NiMh batteries in the FL-50. Although they are high-capacity (2500mAh & 2700mAh) as well as reputable brands, they don't work well consistently in TTL Auto. I believe it is due to a possible dip in capacity in between pre-flash TTL measurement and actual flash output during shutter release, a duration of milliseconds as someone pointed out. When I pop in the Sanyo Eneloop low-discharge 2000mAh batteries, TTL Auto works consistently all the time.
                Thanks for this item - I'm off out to the stockists to purchase some Eneloop.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Working...
                X