At last I am first at something!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last I am first at something!

I have just swapped my E-300 for an E-330. I am constantly amazed by all the new features in other E-system cameras that are already on the E-330. Why this is not the worlds best selling DSLR is a mystery. No its not, the price was too high and the model to far ahead of its time. I bought mine in the current discounting phase. The E-300 also suffered from not looking like every other DSLR. This is a great camera after 3 months I am still finding things it will do.

Re: At last I am first at something!

I doesn`t think the "pro reviewer"did value the Liveview options fair ( they did not know the benefit of the features)
    It seems they only take pictures in low light.

Comment

I was looking for a carry around camera. I bought a new Fuji S9600. I loved the flip up down Live view screen. I hated the EVF. Image quality in not in the same league as E-300. So it went and I bought the only current SLR with Flip up and down Live view. I think the camera handles well and image quality is now as good as ever. RAW is softer than E-300 I think still easily fixed. Images on the floor, over peoples heads all without a kneeling down or using a ladder. I don't understand why the E-510 doesn't use this feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn R View Post
        I was looking for a carry around camera. I bought a new Fuji S9600. I loved the flip up down Live view screen. I hated the EVF. Image quality in not in the same league as E-300. So it went and I bought the only current SLR with Flip up and down Live view. I think the camera handles well and image quality is now as good as ever. RAW is softer than E-300 I think still easily fixed. Images on the floor, over peoples heads all without a kneeling down or using a ladder. I don't understand why the E-510 doesn't use this feature.
        Until the E-510 arrived, the E-330 was my every day Four Thirds camera. The E-510 has more pixels and yet better noise and Live View that can be used to evaluate white balance and exposure, which can't be done with the E-330. But I do miss the tilting screen of the E-330.

I'm absolutely sure that we will see a swinging screen in both consumer and pro-spec models in the future; it's just common sense!

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

If the E-510 had the Tilt screen live view I would have bought one. The forthcoming pro model has one in the previews. I'm not sure I will be able to justify the expense at the moment. White balance is not an issue I only shoot RAW so white balance is left on Auto. I presume the E-510 has a live histogram which would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn R View Post
            I have just swapped my E-300 for an E-330. I am constantly amazed by all the new features in other E-system cameras that are already on the E-330. Why this is not the worlds best selling DSLR is a mystery. No its not, the price was too high and the model to far ahead of its time. I bought mine in the current discounting phase. The E-300 also suffered from not looking like every other DSLR. This is a great camera after 3 months I am still finding things it will do.
            After migrating from a Nikon DSLR I too bought a heavily discounted e330-What a bargain! The superb kit lens [14-45] and equally superb camera body just knocks the socks off the competition-it's appearance might be a bit unusual but to me it's results that count and they certainly do.

freddigit

Comment

I am glad to hear someone else who has the same experience. I just bought a 14-42 from Park Cameras for a ridiculous price. Not in a box but new with guarantee. 50 plus p&p puts ebay in the shade. I thought its so much smaller and lighter it could be an advantage. Only done a few test shots so far seems to be as sharp as the 14-45. I now have the lightest E-330 in the world. LOL

Comment

The only problem I have with Olympus is the high price of a reasonably powerful flashgun [digital- compatible with E330],however,I have just bought a Metz AF4-4 O GN 44 @ ISO 100 [O-Olympus] from Park Cameras for 143.00 which still gives me TTL control and well over 100 cheaper than the Olympus FL 50 although these are not easy to find,but it has to be said Olympus gear is well made [but then so is Metz gear].

Comment

I use an FL-36 which is OK for anything I can find to do with it. This wedding gathering was taken with it with a Stofen diffuser.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I agree about the 330, if the price had been inline with the other entry level dslrs it might have been a huge hit.
                    It was also hampered by limited exposure in the retail market. The 500 was already everywhere, a proven seller and cheaper.
                    Things like the tiltable screen and the second sensor providing Mode A drove the cost up and I don't think it was appreaciated for the feature rich, step up from entry level product it was intended to be.

Now that it is discounted, people are finding out not only how good the 330 is but its peticular type of live veiw too. Unfortunatly it may be the last of its type if we don't see a 360

mmmmmm A 330 with 10 mp and IS.

Jim

Comment

Mode A LV...How can photographers live without that? It was the LV that made me purchase the E-330 and I have never looked back. Now if only Olympus adds the IS in there.
                      My humble Photos

Comment

I am with you all here. I have an E330 and I think it is a brilliant camera and that it will go down in history as such. The problem, I believe, is that the public didn't see the technical advantages and thought that for that price they could get more pixels.
                        Guy

Comment

RE;the brilliant E330,
                          this "clamber for pixels" is really masking how important it is to use the best LENS you can afford although all of the Olympus 4/3 range of lenses give a good account of themselves-I was quite amazed when I first bought my E330 with the Zuiko 14-45mm a few months ago[ to replace a Nikon digital]with the brilliant results on my first shoot with it.Incidentally,I have been a "serious amateur" for the last 50 years.Of course the pixel count is important but it does'nt mean that much if your'e using an inferior quality lens.
                          The only gripe I have with Olympus is the price of their dedicated flashguns,so I bought a Metz 44AF-4 0 [Olympus dedicated] flashgun & saved about 100.00!
                          freddigit

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Roberts View Post
                            I am with you all here. I have an E330 and I think it is a brilliant camera and that it will go down in history as such. The problem, I believe, is that the public didn't see the technical advantages and thought that for that price they could get more pixels.
                            Guy
                            I think the E-330 was too expensive when it first came out and it was also introduced at a time when Olympus was struggling to market a relatively limited system. That has all changed now and the E-330 has been available at a hugely discounted price, making it a bargain.

It's worth pointing out that the E-330 doesn't have many Live View improvements that the E-410 and later offer, including WB and exposure verification, but as a picture taking tool - it's pretty good in the hands of a good photographer.

Ian
                            Founder/editor
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by freddigit View Post
                              RE;the brilliant E330,
                              this "clamber for pixels" is really masking how important it is to use the best LENS you can afford although all of the Olympus 4/3 range of lenses give a good account of themselves-I was quite amazed when I first bought my E330 with the Zuiko 14-45mm a few months ago[ to replace a Nikon digital]with the brilliant results on my first shoot with it.
                              freddigit
                              This is very true, and begs the question: Is it worth upgrading from the kit lenses, and what will you gain? The one thing I would like on the lenses is a focus indicator, but is that worth the extra $?
                              I think I'm going to push the boat out and buy the 7-14, which will give me from 7 to 150 with the two kits. As it is is in their top line up I guess I'll find out what the quality is like.
                              Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X