X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uwater-boy
    replied
    Re: Olympus e-330 replacement

hi - nothing against the 50-200 but I have switched to primes....and never looked back.
    Even my 20 year old adapted zuiko mirror 500mm is better than my sigma bigma.....

so second hand primes is the way forward......if you are on a budget.

Leave a comment:

• hschnee
    replied

Originally posted by Uwater-boy View Post
    . . . If I may say so - the body is not your issue - it is the glass you are using. the 50-200 isn't great....acceptable but not great . . .
    What is your basis for this statement? Every objective test and account I've seen about the 50-200 say that it's best in class. Optics and build are outstanding. There is simply nothing comparable available for any other system. The only possible criticism is that the appearance of out-of-focus highlights is not always pleasing--a very small criticism of a lens.

- Hal -

Leave a comment:

• Uwater-boy
    replied

Hi - this is an old debate, Olympus will keep their DSLR or a while, the market is worth enough to them. Even if they do not what do you care if you have a camera that works for you?

In my opinion, the PEN has not settled enough, too many models introduced quickly....if you want to go this way - wait a while...Oly & Pana are trying to create a market that others are struggling to get in to....it is the only way theycan offer growth to the shareholders....Head to head with N&C Oly DSLR does struggle, but in places where mere mortals like us do not tread.

I have used Oly from the OM-1N, I do so purely because of the bang for the buck, the cameras (even after 35 years) are still better then me & I have published work.

If I may say so - the body is not your issue - it is the glass you are using. the 50-200 isn't great....acceptable but not great.

I currently have an E-3, 8mmFE, EC-14, 12-60, 14-54 Mk2, zuiko film 500mm mirror adapted and Sigma 50-500.

It is OK about the 330 body - there are loads around....it will be converted for Uwater use anyhoo.....and will probobly be drowned in a year or so...Mu Uwater cameras really get some abuse.

In summary I guess you have to know where you think your photgraphy will take you....when you know that you should try cameras in local stores and see what pleases you most.

Leave a comment:

• JotaSa
    replied

Hi Uwater-boy, thanks for your comments.
    I'm planning to use the E-330 as an alternative machine.
    My doubt about the new one, is if I continue with DSLR (I am a little disappointed with the proposal of Olympus in this market, I do not know if Olympus will continue for a long time with this line) or if I make the transition to the new PEN line (it seems to me that Olympus is betting strong here). Of course I am not a professional player.
    The other solution is to sell all the equipment and choose another brand.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Uwater-boy
    replied

Buy a Second hand E-3 for a more pro unit.
    Otherwise E-620 body

Both will use your existing lenses fine.....

PS-if you sell the 330, drop me a PM.... ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Ned
    replied

Originally posted by JotaSa View Post
    I want to make another move but I am with doubts about the next step. I do not want to lose my set of lens but the choice E-5 it seems not to be a good price/quality choice. I want hear about the alternatives I have. Someone tells me that I can change to the pens series but I am afraid I lost functionality for my lens. Who can give me suggestions?
    Actually, I think the E-5 is the best bang you can get for the buck, next to the PEN cameras. If it's a question of quality for the price you pay, the E-5 is an outstanding value. If your issue is overall budget however, then there are cheaper alternatives. The E-510 or E-520 are also very capable bodies, or you could find a used E-3 for relatively cheap (and E-3 bodies are really tough - so a used one would probably not show much wear even if it's been used to hell). The E-620 is a nice body but since you're used to a more robust build in the E-330, I think the E-520 or E-3 would be better choices in that price bracket.

As far as using PEN cameras, you will not lose functionality in your lenses. You will still have full electronic control and AutoFocus except for C-AF. Is your 50-200mm an SWD or the older version? If both your lenses are SWD, they will actually focus pretty fast on a newer PEN, though certainly not as fast as a Four-Thirds E-System DSLR. The E-5, E-3, and E-30 will focus those SWD lenses the fastest - much better than your E-330. Of course there will be no difference in manual focus.

Leave a comment:

• JotaSa
    replied

Hi Graham,
    Thanks for your sugestion. I am thinking.
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied

The PENs will work with the 4/3rds lenses, with the adapter. The AF speed is slower than the E-3/5 but the new E-P3 is said to be considerably faster than the original ones.

By far the best move will be to wait until they are available and take your lenses to a good shop and try them out on the new body.

Other than that a good second hand E-3, E-30 or E-620 would be ideal.

Leave a comment:

• JotaSa
    started a topic HELP! Olympus e-330 replacement

Olympus e-330 replacement

I am a Olympus user from a long time. I began with the C-2020, I pass for the C-2100 Ultra Zoom and I am now with Evolt E-330. For this machine I have among other lens a Zuiko 50-200mm and a Zuiko 12-60mm.
    I want to make another move but I am with doubts about the next step. I do not want to lose my set of lens but the choice E-5 it seems not to be a good price/quality choice. I want hear about the alternatives I have. Someone tells me that I can change to the pens series but I am afraid I lost functionality for my lens. Who can give me suggestions?

regards
Working...
X