E-300 owners unite!...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-300 owners unite!...

Are there any of you out there? Just curious as there's only two threads in this entire section dedicated to a great camera. Not only did this camera get Olympus into DSLR's, but it is still quite capable of holding its own against the latest and greatest out there today.

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks and have already captured some great shots, better than I used to with my Canon 10D. I love my E-300!

Anyway, post up!
    -Charles
    Olympus E-3 + HLD-4
    Olympus Evolt E-300 + HLD-3
    Olympus 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5
    SanDisk Extreme III 8GB x 2

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/

Re: E-300 owners unite!...

Wow... what a bunch!
    -Charles
    Olympus E-3 + HLD-4
    Olympus Evolt E-300 + HLD-3
    Olympus 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5
    SanDisk Extreme III 8GB x 2

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chops View Post
      Wow... what a bunch!
      don't worry chops we are out there oh yes we are out there

Comment

Well here is another E-300 owner, But will be upgrading to the E-620 when it hits the shelfs.

Comment

I agree the E-300 is a good camera, but I think it's a bit out dated by the more recent offerings. The LCD is tiny in comparison to the 2.5 or 3 inch screens on the market now. No Image stabilizer, poor low light performance etc. I think I rushed into it a bit when I bought mine, it was only recently out, and I was so delighted that olympus had finally released a digital SLR that I didn't even look at the competiton... Paid 1000 euro!! That said, if you have time to frame your picture, and mess about with lighting and settings, it does take sharp photos with excellent colour rendition. I just find that for candid shots or children, by the time you have it set up right you've missed the picture, or you get the picture and it takes photoshop to get it to look decent...
          Craig
          Zuiko 14-45mm f 3.5-5.6, Sigma 18-125mm f3.5-5.6 and Pentacon 50mm f1.8 with M42 to 4/3rds adapter.

Comment

I have a E-300 and recently purchased a E-620. Might be selling the E-300, but yes it is a great camera. Mine only has 1275 shutter actuation's!

Comment

I miss my 300.

I rarely used it after getting the E 3 so I gave it to my niece and her hubby as a gift to get him back into photography.

Now I miss having a second birding body or even a third macro set up when I'm out shooting. (yes, I am that much of a glutton when it comes to macro )

Even though the 300 is out dated and doesn't have all the bells and whistles we have come to expect, I think that is one of it's strengths. It is a basic camera and is great to learn photography with.

No IS, learning proper hand holding technique is crucial even with IS

No scene modes, again basic learning is better as you understand why to set the camera up for a scene.

Slower AF, true but there were work arounds and I was still able to do birds in flight, Whaling and even RC helicopters with it.

The small screen is a bummer, but the advantage was it didn't suck the batteries dry as fast as the 330 or E 3. With the grip and two batteries, I had days of heavy shooting, not hours.

Also to be remembered that outside of the E 1/3 and maybe the E 30 now, the 300 has the largest VF of all the E xxx bodies. That may be why I liked it in macro so much. 300/ 50-200/ EX 25/ FL 50 made a great combo.

Jim

Not to forget that it was built like a tank.

Comment

I still visit here from time to time. I've had an E-300 since 2005, although I got an E-330 last year and that has become my primary camera, except when it rains or I have to go to a bad part of town, then out comes the E-300; I've even used my E-300 on Maid of the Mist, the boat that goes to the base of Niagara Falls (not recommended unless you use an E-1/ E-3, and a weatherproof lens).

My latest acquisition is a cheap used, $35 semi-fisheye converter...yes I'm the first to put down the use of a converter lens (especially on the plastic kit lens), but compared to the price of the Oly 8mm, and if I wreck a kit lens I can always get a used one, it's worth it. The reason why it's only a "semi" fisheye is it's not 180 degrees, it's about 150 degrees, which is more than enough for me (less worry about getting my feet in the shot)...taken with the 14-45mm on my E-300:

Comment

Cute and interesting, at least at web resolution. How are the full res shots?
                  BTW, I wasn't aware there IS a bad part of Toronto. I thought the only bad part was Winter.

Steve
                  Steve

Comment

Oh sure, Toronto has its bad parts too.

Anyway, here's links to larger versions of the two images (~1024x768):
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08.../P6016709r.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08.../P6016737r.jpg

Comment

yep, we're out here somewhere. I got my E300 a few years ago now and haven't used it as much as I would like, but I am still taking images and printing them out at A3 courtesy of the Epson R1900. Image stabilisation (IS) is in one of the firmware updates so if you haven't got it you may be able to get it that way....

Comment

Firmware update for IS? How is that possible?
                        Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Ned View Post
                          Firmware update for IS? How is that possible?
                          Not optical or sensor IS, but for digital IS it is possible; digital IS is simply boosting the ISO in order to gain a higher shutter speed...the E-330 has digital IS in one of the scene modes.

However I don't see Olympus updating the E-300 ever again, not unless it's like the last one that allowed you to use the 2x teleconverter on it. I've been screaming at them for a year now to fix a bug in the E-330, but they won't budge, never mind about adding a feature to it!

Comment

Hey Chops, how are you? well I am little confused with my e-300. I wanted to invest on lenses rather buying an updated model. Is it wise to stick to e-300 and using various lenses.

Comment

Hi Chops! Well I'm another E-300 owner. After finally moving from film (camera - Canon EOSIX7), and going digital I went with the E-300 after being very happy with my first digital the olympus C-60 zoom compact. I still use both and have some great shots, although I would like to update to an E-30 or E-3 with a 12 60 lens.

Cheers, Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X