Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which wide angle for real-estate interiors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Which wide angle for real-estate interiors?

I have an Olympus E300. Sure, it's a decade old now, but it still produces really great photos. Recently I've been given the opportunity to take some real estate interior shots for the agent that my wife works for, so I jumped right in. Prior to this I just had the standard zoom lenses plus a nifty 25mm prime pancake (which I adore, incidentally), but I knew these wouldn't cut it for wide angle shots. So I invested in a Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual lens (also goes by the brand name Rockinon). I'm really happy with this lens, even if I do have to post process my RAW images through PT Lens to correct converging verticals, but other than that the images are pin sharp! The trouble is that it's just not wide enough. The agent is happy enough with my shots but has directed my attention to the professional ones that have done which look to have about another 20 degrees viewing angle. I think I was misinformed by the sales assistant on the Samyang about the viewport angle. Even with my research it's difficult to determine what I actually have here. I initially thought this lens would give me about 100 degrees. I based this on the E300 being a full frame sensor. But the link that I just found, and posted above, seems to indicate I've only got 76.24 degrees.

So if I want to get into this game properly it looks like I'm up for another lens. There are budget constraints though. I'd like to get out of this for about $500 if possible. What's a good quality truly wide-angle lens within my budget for the Olympus four-thirds (not micro 4/3) mount? I don't mind fully manual lenses like the Samyang, in fact I'm quickly discovering that I actually prefer them.

Thanks,

Re: Which wide angle for real-estate interiors?

I think the ZD9-18 would be your best bet, although there is a ZD7-14 & ZD11-22, for a price!
    You would need to check for local prices & used would be what you would want to look for.
    I have bought used from Japan with excellent quality, but it must be a reputable seller though.

Unfortunately, something from the OM range won't be wide enough for the 4/3's format.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I would go with the ZD9-18. I have it and have used it to photograph some very small rooms in our inn. Very happy with it. Purchased used through a seller here in the U.S.

Jeff
      My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
      For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
      http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
      https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Comment

I've just checked ebay & it's not looking good there for any used 9-18 lenses.
        Ross
        Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

There's also a 10mm Samyang although it can be hard to find in 4/3 mount.
          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Comment

KEH has a couple of 9-18mm, like new condition less than $350
            Clint

OM-D EM-1 | Panasonic 7-14mm | Olympus 12-40mm | Panasonic 35-100mm | Olympus 50-200mm | Panasonic 25mm | Olympus 45mm

Comment

Originally posted by Clint View Post
              KEH has a couple of 9-18mm, like new condition less than $350
              That would be US$436 shipped to Australia which would end up being about AU$580.
              Ross

Comment

Just a couple of quick examples that I snapped this morning (Please don't judge the quality).
                Standing in the corner of a room in our inn that we call "The Snug". The room is 11ft by 17ft (3.35m by 5.18m). I purchased the lens to photograph the interior of our inn.
                Left shot at 14MM.
                Right shot at 9MM. The bottom corners are pretty much at the wall.

Jeff

My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
                For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
                http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
                https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                  That would be US$436 shipped to Australia which would end up being about AU$580.
                  WoW! I thought there no taxes, fees, etc. on items valued at less than AUD1,000 when imported there.
                  Clint

OM-D EM-1 | Panasonic 7-14mm | Olympus 12-40mm | Panasonic 35-100mm | Olympus 50-200mm | Panasonic 25mm | Olympus 45mm

Comment

Originally posted by Clint View Post
                    WoW! I thought there no taxes, fees, etc. on items valued at less than AUD1,000 when imported there.
                    There aren't (up to AU$1000). Just our low dollar value & the high cost of postage from the US (US$87).
                    Ross

Comment

Just wanted to say a big thanks for everybody's advice. I ended up going with the 9-18mm, but decided to put an E-M5 Mk2 on the back of it. Yes, a full upgrade and I could not be happier with the new combination. Now, what to do with the E300...

Comment

Working...
                      X