Should I sell my e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I sell my e30?

I love Olympus cameras because of the nice colours of the images. Lately however, I have been buying and selling one model after another, only to find images and performance issues:
    - I took some pictures indoors, but it was embarrassing, as it was too slow in focusing even with flourescent lights. As a result, I am thinking whether I should sell this camera?
    -another push factor to sell this camera was the high picture noise above ISO 400. Having ISO up to 3200 helps, but the ISO3200 images are almost non usable.

Any suggestions on the e30? I used the 14-54mkII lens, the 70-300mm lens, and the 18-180lens. I find the picture quality not as good as the e510, which is beset by slow focus, and low maximum ISO (1600).

One I have not tried is to buy the SWD 12-60mm lens, but having tried with 14-54MkII lens, and finding it not satisfactory, I am not sure whether the 12-60mm helps.

Appreciate your experiences on this.

Should I sell this and wait for E3 successor (E4) which should resolve the noise problems.

Re: Should I sell my e30?

Only you knows if the E 30 will fill your needs. The 12-60 is very fast on the E 3, even in a dim reception but that won't help iso issues.

One thing is to make sure the auto gradation is off. It seems to add noise. Also make sure you are not under exposing.

The next E x should be better if the EP-1 is any indication but till then, I bought a PL 25mm f 1.4. I don't need anything over ISO 400 even late night.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by achanth View Post
      Should I sell this and wait for E3 successor (E4) which should resolve the noise problems.
      Certainly not - unless you have another camera to shoot with in the meantime. You're going to have a long wait so keep the best that you can for now.
      Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I can sympathise with your problems but think that, until you have exhausted all options, a quick turnaround of equipment might serve you less well than a little investigation.

I say this because I find that my E3 performs perfectly well in very low light both in terms of focusing ability and high ISO performance. There is no doubt that the current generation of the competition is better than the E3 in high ISo performance, it is by no menas certain that the focusing performance will be significantly better. Some are and some are not. I have for instance heard that some of the high end models in the Canon line up suffers from very similar problems. The reality is that as light levels drop so does AF performance. You can certainly buy better than Olympus in this area but can you do so at a similar price point. This I doubt.

As for high ISO - I shoot a lot of concert work and am nearly always using the 1600-3200 ISO range. This presents few problms for me even for paid work such a promotional and publicity shots for performers. Whilst I don't own an E30 I am sure my experiences my E3 are relevant to you (the E30 is reputed to be at least as good if not better than the E3 in high ISO perfromance) and I would be happy to share some of these experiences with you.

Comment

BTW - if you are interested, please look at my gallery. The 'Dancer' series posted there were all shot at 1600 or above, most at 2500 and some at 3200.

Comment

Are you using your E-30 in RAW or JPEG mode? If RAW, which RAW converter are you using? If JPEG, which noise filter setting are you using?

Do you tend to expose for highlights (do you intentionally underexpose sometimes?).

Is the noise that bothers you of the luminance grain type or chroma noise (blotchy colour).

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Here are two E-30 shots first one at ISO 1000 and second one at ISO 640. The first one I ran through noiseninja with a light setting and the second one was just a tiny tweak in Lightroom. You have to PP E-30 files once you raise the ISO but they are easy to clean up. I can't imagine what the issue is here because the E-30 is a big jump above the E-510. I don't think buying another camera will solve your problem.

http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Comment

You know, I went to a Canon photography workshop last week and got to play with the venerable 5D MKII. I was using a 16-35mm f2.8 "L" glass lens on it so I could experience some wide angle stuff. I liked the camera very much. It actually wasn't much different in size than my E30. The pics were looking great too, at least on the LCD. The way the workshop works is that you turn in your memory card at the end of the session and Canon uploads them to the web for you to dowload in a ZIP folder. I got mine yesterday and I have to say that after seeing them full size on my monitor, I was actually disappointed. I was surprised to see softness on the sides of the image even though it was L glass and I did stop it down to f11 for depth of field on my landscape shots. So, I dug out my E30 with the 12-60 on it and was quickly reminded of how fortunate we are to have Zuiko glass dedicated to the digital format. It doesn't mean that I still wouldn't like some more time with the 5dII, but it did mean that I have even greater respect for my Olympus gear, especially my E30 and the 12-60mm. I've used the E30 for two weddings this summer and was ecstatic with how well it did. One ceremony was shot almost entirely with ISO 1600. I personally think it's the best digital camera Olympus has offered, at least in my opinion.

Anyways, for what it's worth.....
                Brad

Comment

A simple test.

If you ever doubt the quality of Zuiko glass and Oly camera's do a search on flickr of shots by other brands and (if they have the option) view the images in larger sizes. It's amazing how many images start to fall apart when viewed at anything like 800x600. Some hold up but a hell of a lot don't and its usually the lens that lets it down. I did this out of curiosity and it made me realise how good Zuiko lenses really are.
                  http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I find that strange indeed as I have the E-510 and E-30, and the E-30 outperforms the E-510 in every respect excepty weight and size.

As to the comment about above ISO 400, I have two 20 x 16inch prints on the wall taken at ISO 640 and ISO 800 (and no noise reduction software like NN used) with no noise at all showing and the same quality I used to get from ISO 100 film!
                    Regards Paul.
                    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                      I find that strange indeed as I have the E-510 and E-30, and the E-30 outperforms the E-510 in every respect excepty weight and size.

As to the comment about above ISO 400, I have two 20 x 16inch prints on the wall taken at ISO 640 and ISO 800 (and no noise reduction software like NN used) with no noise at all showing and the same quality I used to get from ISO 100 film!
                      You will get shadow noise being very visible if you didn't nail the exposure correctly (under exposure) and then tried to recover the picture in post processing. A friend with a Canon 1D mk III has exactly the same problem... In the same way some folk have said that the c-af 'is awful' (it is far from that), practice and a little education go a long way to fix the supposed failings of the camera. You only need to look at the many excellent photos on the forum and how delighted many people are with their camera equipment.

I don't want to sound like I'm insinuating anybody is somehow stupid, but every DSLR will take a while to get the best out of it. Just ask specific questions for help here and your will be bombarded with useful replies!

Andy
                      Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
                      mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
                      EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
                      Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

As I have said before I don't have an E30 but use an E3. I have read that the E30 is superior to the E3 in its high ISO performance. I have no opinion about this. What I do know from my E3 experiences is that if you are using ISO 1600 and above there are 2 golden rules:

1.) shoot RAW
                        2.) get the exposure right in camera

4/3rds sensors now offer very acceptable performance up and including ISO 3200 but they are very, very unforgiving if you try to adjust exposure in PP. You can work with WB, colours, sharpening etc but there is almost no exposure latitude once you get over 1600.

I don't know if this is true of other brands of camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                          As I have said before I don't have an E30 but use an E3. I have read that the E30 is superior to the E3 in its high ISO performance. I have no opinion about this. What I do know from my E3 experiences is that if you are using ISO 1600 and above there are 2 golden rules:

1.) shoot RAW
                          2.) get the exposure right in camera

4/3rds sensors now offer very acceptable performance up and including ISO 3200 but they are very, very unforgiving if you try to adjust exposure in PP. You can work with WB, colours, sharpening etc but there is almost no exposure latitude once you get over 1600.

I don't know if this is true of other brands of camera.
                          From what I know of friends shooting Nikon and Canon - the same is true for them at higher ISOs - even the big beasts like the 1D.

Andy
                          Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
                          mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
                          EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
                          Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

I agree Bear but even sharpening is limited at high ISO's.

Paul
                            GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
                            Flickr

Comment

When you say Auto gradiation to off, do you mean set it to 'NORMAL' rather than switching it off. The other options are of course, HIGH KEY and LOW KEY.

I'm posting this for the benefit of the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X