E-30 Art filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-30 Art filters

I have had a look at the Art Filters feature on the E-30.

It's an alternative mode, so you can't use the camera in, say P, A, S, or M mode AND Art Filter mode. It's kind of like an evolution of the scene mode. It defaults to full auto aperture, shutter and ISO, but you can adjust all three to your preference for the shot.

The effects are only applied to JPEG images and if you are recording RAW at the same time, the RAW file is not affected.

You can preview the effect in live view mode, which aids composition, especially for the pin hole camera mode.

The effect is applied in-camera and does slow the camera down.

There are six Art Filters:

1. Pop Art - this seems to selectively boost certain coloursin certain areas. It's kond of like selective posterisation.
    2. Soft focus - self explanatory!
    3. Pale & light - reduced saturation and high key mode
    4. Light tone - a more moderate version of 3.
    5. Grainy film - grainy, contrasty, mono mode.
    6. Pin hole camera - which is a deliberate soft-edged vignette.

I wonder if there will be more to choose by the time the E-30 ships?

Any opinions on these modes?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: E-30 Art filters

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    I have had a look at the Art Filters feature on the E-30.

It's an alternative mode, so you can't use the camera in, say P, A, S, or M mode AND Art Filter mode. It's kind of like an evolution of the scene mode. It defaults to full auto aperture, shutter and ISO, but you can adjust all three to your preference for the shot.

The effects are only applied to JPEG images and if you are recording RAW at the same time, the RAW file is not affected.

You can preview the effect in live view mode, which aids composition, especially for the pin hole camera mode.

The effect is applied in-camera and does slow the camera down.

There are six Art Filters:

1. Pop Art - this seems to selectively boost certain coloursin certain areas. It's kond of like selective posterisation.
    2. Soft focus - self explanatory!
    3. Pale & light - reduced saturation and high key mode
    4. Light tone - a more moderate version of 3.
    5. Grainy film - grainy, contrasty, mono mode.
    6. Pin hole camera - which is a deliberate soft-edged vignette.

I wonder if there will be more to choose by the time the E-30 ships?

Any opinions on these modes?

Ian

I think the Art Modes 2 to 6 would suit Anne well.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

I take it this means that the art filters can't be applied after the photo is taken (i.e. to convert a RAW photo to an art filtered one)? It's nice that you can use RAW+JPEG so you still get an "unfiltered" version of the photo, but I'm less inclined to use a fully-automatic mode. I prefer to have more control, even if it's only setting ISO and aperture. Now that I think about it, though, I can understand the decision to some degree; I imagine that the filters depend upon altering the exosure settings to achieve their special results.

I find it a bit ironic that Olympus are promoting the art filters as an option that unleashes one's creativity--it's the camera that is making all of the settings!

Not to get off-topic, but Ian, have you experimented with the multiple-exposure features? Can you let us know how those work?

- Hal -
      A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
      Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Originally posted by hschnee View Post
        I take it this means that the art filters can't be applied after the photo is taken (i.e. to convert a RAW photo to an art filtered one)? It's nice that you can use RAW+JPEG so you still get an "unfiltered" version of the photo, but I'm less inclined to use a fully-automatic mode. I prefer to have more control, even if it's only setting ISO and aperture. Now that I think about it, though, I can understand the decision to some degree; I imagine that the filters depend upon altering the exosure settings to achieve their special results.

I find it a bit ironic that Olympus are promoting the art filters as an option that unleashes one's creativity--it's the camera that is making all of the settings!

Not to get off-topic, but Ian, have you experimented with the multiple-exposure features? Can you let us know how those work?

- Hal -
        I have tried this out for you quickly.

When the mode is enabled (you must choose up to 4 shots to be combined), after you have taken the first, if you are using live view, it is overlaid on the live view in a reduced opacity so you can compose and align the next shot.

I just tried it with two shots - 1 JPEG image is produced and as I had RAW on as well, there is a RAW file as well, but only one. I can't, alas, read the RAW file, so I don't know which (or both?) frame it is.

Other options include an automatic gain - not yet figured out what this does precisely. And you can overlay a previously recorded image - it only listed RAW files on the card, but that may simply be because the JPEGs are duplicates of the RAW files on that card.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

I personally wouldn't use those "art filters." If you want to use such effects, you can apply them with Photoshop et al afterwards and have much more creative control over how much and where you use them. Applying them in camera ends up not being creative, just gimmicky.

Comment

I'm not sure I would use these filters either, but that doesn't mean they won't be useful for some photographers.

I read, somewhere or other, that this feature could be extremely useful for photographers taking model pictures - because models often want their pictures edited soft focus, high key and so on. If they can see what an image looks like straight away, during a shoot, it can save a lot of time and perhaps make the shoot more successful.
            - my site -

Comment

Ellie,
              As I don't work much with models, that hadn't occurred to me. It does look like a useful way to shoot in such situations. I'd still take some straight frames too, and use them one to play with in Photoshop to get just right.
              Thanks!

Comment

it's funny I aked for these features for the panasonic L10 successor on this very forum in the L10 thread a few months ago.

I'll be using these filters alot.

It's also mad here hearing people say they would rather do things in photo editing software instead of in camera lol
                "composition; the rule of 4 thirds"

"living life to the Four Thirds"

Comment

Working...
                X